Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of us have the cool little tools that replace/extract the bearings out of the current gen external BBs. Some of you may need new bearings. Some of you may want to upgrade to better or ceramic bearings.

We have the Phil Wood tool and the Enduro bearing tool. We'd like to do a comparo between the tools as well.

This is really just a cloak to get together, drink beers and talk about tires.

You'll need to buy bearings and bring them with you.
Regular bearings:
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id182.html
Mega chichi hella fast bearings (could make you 4-100% faster):
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id101.html
(There is a list of MTBR'ers that won't get any help with install if they show up with ceramic bearings, as they are way too fast already). :D

The stock Shimano BB bearings don't last too long riding in our area. 6mos of riding, add some water, and they're pretty gritty.

Whatcha think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm in :)
now need to buy those enduro bearings.

I got that fancy looking Token BB to for replacement, but there is always another day.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Yay, now I have something to spend my money on.
Hopefully the ceramic ones will give me a 100% increase. I could use it.

rensho said:
The stock Shimano BB bearings don't last too long riding in our area. 6mos of riding, add some water, and they're pretty gritty.

Whatcha think?
I thought the Shimano ones we're replaceable. I recall reading some Shimano literature that says to buy all new cups with bearing, and that the bearings are serviceable. It sounds lame to me. So if I can replace just the bearings I'm gonna.

·
I'm disrespectful to dirt
479 Posts
Extra bling points if you buy new cups too- they even advertise your ceramic coolness to the world (look at the pic of the grey ones):

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id136.html

What's the use of having an expensive "go fast" part if its hidden, so no one can see how fast it is going to make you?

Although with the bearings already installed in these, you don't get to try out the cool tools...

What about some phil bearings?

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dan51 said:
Yay, now I have something to spend my money on.
Hopefully the ceramic ones will give me a 100% increase. I could use it.

I thought the Shimano ones we're replaceable. I recall reading some Shimano literature that says to buy all new cups with bearing, and that the bearings are serviceable. It sounds lame to me. So if I can replace just the bearings I'm gonna.
The Shimano ones can be reused. You press the bearings out, and press in new ones. Goes for all the ones the make, xtr, da, 105, xt, etc. Same is true for truvativ and RF.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
That was so 2 months ago

Ceramic bearing bottom bracket? HA! That was so 2 months ago. I'm SO beyond that now - I'm gonna be sportin more ceramics than a Christmas Craft Fair in Carmel before I'm finished! :D
Seriously, the ceramic BB's are a huge upgrade for external BB cranksets, enough so, that they're finally an 'improvement" [debatable] on the tried and true square taper crankset.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
JustJeff said:
What about some phil bearings?
After going through two RaceFace Deus BBs in under a year, my LBS replaced the RF bearings with Phil Wood's. Haven't had any problem in over two years. I'm ordering the ceramics as we speak as I just got sponsored by Boca Bearings and feel the need for that extra 4%. I have to use them, it's part of my sponsorship agreement. :D

Just did the math, I would have been 7.4 minutes faster with the new bearings at the CA State Championships. That, plus not getting lost could have made up the 23 minute difference between 2nd and 3rd place. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :p

I just sampled some Firestone Walker pale ale and Racer 5 IPA-thoroughly enjoyed. :thumbsup:

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I talked to Phil wood at last Interbike. They didn't believe in ceramic bearings, and they didn't intend to sell any. They did have some track hub bearings that spun for days, granted they were oiled and not greased, and didn't have any rubber seals on them.

I see he's added 1 ceramic bearing to the list(for hubs i think).
http://www.philwood.com/Phil%20Spec'd%20Bearings.htm

·
singletrack bound
3,033 Posts
So just a couple of days ago I pulled my XT crankset off my Chameleon SS and discovered the external bearing on the drive side was toast. I had an extra set of cups in my box so I just replaced my drive side and it runs like butta. So I can replace the bearing in the toasted cup? I would like to do that and have it for back up in the box for next time. cool......

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
What timing. I just bought a stock BB along with a bunch of other goodies and went over budget.

But I could really use the 100% improvement....mmm

·
Mtbr Founder
35,044 Posts
Just say no to ceramic BB bearings. I've tried them and I couldn't tell the difference no matter how much I wanted them to be better. The rpms arejust not high enough.

The upgraded bearings by Enduro look pretty good. (mentioned by rensho) http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id182.html
The drawbacks to Shimano outboard bearings are they are packed with heavy grease and the seals are very tight when new.

If you are not super XC and don't care, just buy new Shimano cups with bearings when the old ones wear out.

Ceramic bearings on wheels have a better chance of making a difference. I have a set on the road bike. But then again, I can't tell the difference either from my normal wheelset. It's 95% training, 5% bike, .1% bearings.;)

I've seen ceramic bearings on headsets now. Now that is a pile of...

fc

·
mmm
952 Posts
How is this OFF TOPIC? You mentioned beer. But yeah I'm in....def need new bearings.

·
Bomber
982 Posts
Gotta say I just love the feel of new bearings. Its fun spinning things as I walk past my bike. King bearings, Phil bearings, King bearings; everything just nice and smooooooov.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
francois said:
Just say no to ceramic BB bearings. I've tried them and I couldn't tell the difference no matter how much I wanted them to be better. .

fc
You suffer from to many bikes to ride and test, and have never had a worn out set ! ;)

When the new Ceramic bearings go in a worn out BB it feels so so good :cool:

I say upgrade ! :)

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Skepticism from the "King of Bling" ?

francois said:
Just say no to ceramic BB bearings. I've tried them and I couldn't tell the difference no matter how much I wanted them to be better. The rpms arejust not high enoughfc
GASP! Of all people, you, the "King of Bling" aren't jumping onto the ceramics bandwagon? :D Gotta say, I've been running an Enduro ceramic BB on an XTR 970 crankset and I could immediately, and still can discern the difference. And I believe over say 8 to 12hrs, there will be a measurable energy savings, and that's why I'm using them. As for ceramic wheelbearings.....oh yeah, I've got that base covered too. And I agree, there is something to had there too.:thumbsup:

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I saw ceramic HS bearings at last years Interbike. It was all I could do to keep a straight face in front of the vendor.

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
I've got a couple BB cups with seized bearings. My cheap bastard self would love to get some of those $14 enduro bearings and swap 'em in, if the times and dates for a get together work out.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,044 Posts
jms said:
GASP! Of all people, you, the "King of Bling" aren't jumping onto the ceramics bandwagon? :D Gotta say, I've been running an Enduro ceramic BB on an XTR 970 crankset and I could immediately, and still can discern the difference. And I believe over say 8 to 12hrs, there will be a measurable energy savings, and that's why I'm using them. As for ceramic wheelbearings.....oh yeah, I've got that base covered too. And I agree, there is something to had there too.:thumbsup:
I did the 'spin the cranks' test. With the chain off on, I would kick the pedals and see how many times the cranks would spin.
New Stock dura ace - 7 times
New ceramic bearings with light seals - 30 times.

30 times! I was so amazed, I would do this a lot and try and try to beat my record. :D And then I kicked the pedal into my shin :eek:. The end.

We want some photos of the jms garage btw. What kind of bike utopia do you have there?

fc

·
Mtbr Founder
35,044 Posts
jeffh said:
You suffer from to many bikes to ride and test, and have never had a worn out set ! ;)

When the new Ceramic bearings go in a worn out BB it feels so so good :cool:

I say upgrade ! :)
You know what they say when one of my bottom bracket bearings wear out? It's time to return the bike :cool:.

fc

1 - 20 of 89 Posts