Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or are a lot of people around the Denver Metro area horrible drivers?

Here are some interesting observations I've made while driving around town.

Please note I decided to post this after I witnessed a maybe 4-5 car accident on I-25 on my drive into work today. The reason it 'appeared' to happen? Someone decided at the last second they didn't want to exit the highway, so they attempted to cut off a garbage truck (I think, it all happened so fast) without speeding up and it resulted in a nasty accident and shut down two lanes.

1. People attempt to merge onto a highway going 25mph on roads where it is not necessary. All this seems to do is slow down the entire flow of traffic.

2. Drivers will switch lanes and then promptly slow down to 10 mph below the speed limit.

3. For some reason, everyone thinks there is a stop sign when you exit the highway. Some roads have a lane that allows you to continue onto a main road without stopping after leaving the highway. I've nearly been rear-ended by other drivers when someone decides to stop in front of me to wait until it is clear to merge, despite the fact they have a open lane directly in front of them.

4. 10 mph below the posted speed limit seems to be the normal speed on the highway, most days. However, I notice that traffic moves at or in excess of the speed limit in the snow. Is there something I don't know about driving in the snow?

5. Two lane on-ramps to the highway. I guess the dash lines mean you are supposed to weave in and out of both lanes?

6. People are polite and usually allow people to merge into their lane if they signal, however, is panic braking really necessary to allow someone to merge? I would think it would be safer if you didn't slow down to allow someone to merge, especially when there is a huge opening directly behind the car that just caused a 3 car accident by slamming on his brakes to allow someone to merge.

:madman:

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
MCS5280 said:
Personally, from what I have seen of east coast/california drivers, Colorado drivers are pretty dang good. Boulder soccer moms should have their keys taken away from them though...:madmax:
Same here.

Drive in Albuquerque for a week, then come back to Colorado and really see the difference. I have also driven a lot in California and find even they are much better drivers that most in Albuquerque.

The drivers are so bad, I almost got hit walking out of the grocery store last time I was there and I wasn't even through the doorway.

·
Registered
313 Posts
MCS5280 said:
Personally, from what I have seen of east coast/california drivers, Colorado drivers are pretty dang good. Boulder soccer moms should have their keys taken away from them though...:madmax:
agreed-- they're also the ones driving huge ass vehicles that could crush any other car with one fell swoop (or one dropped blackberry on the floor:rolleyes: )

·
what nice teeth you have
712 Posts
MCS5280 said:
Can't speak for the rest of California but I'll take driving in San Diego over Denver any day.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hell just an average day in Boulder, on my lunch hour, I can count at least 6 out of 10 drivers yapping on cellphones..

And yes Denver traffic is asinine, I actually miss Cincinnati traffic, at least they know how to build an actual toll-free loop around a damn city... I never understood why idiots slow down to merge into traffic that is going 65mph+....

Or why for no reason at all a group of 20-30 cars are going 45mph, or why all of the sudden a L.E.O. jumps into traffic and no one will do the speed limit around said officer...

Or how magically on a bad slush day, every automotive store gas station magically runs out of windshield solvent in the middle of winter...(unless that only happens to me)

Or how many Stooparu drivers I see with banged up cars, when they have the "beauty of all wheel drive"

must I go on......

·
Thunder Chunky
1,752 Posts
Go drive in mexico or better yet puerto rico. Puerto Ricans are by far the worst drivers I have ever seen. If there is a traffic jam then they will just drive down the shoulder of the highway. They also have no concept of which side of the road they are supposed to be on or what any of the lines mean. The police dont enforce anything either which doesnt help lol.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I miss Driving on the Mass pike, the breakdown lane is fair game from like 3pm to 5pm to drive on, or just too pass people, I think one day we made it from South Boston (Weymouth) to Gloucester, Mass, in about 35-40 minutes...

ummmm... allegedly ...;)

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
Madman133 said:
Go drive in mexico or better yet puerto rico. Puerto Ricans are by far the worst drivers I have ever seen. If there is a traffic jam then they will just drive down the shoulder of the highway. They also have no concept of which side of the road they are supposed to be on or what any of the lines mean. The police dont enforce anything either which doesnt help lol.
Have you been to Portland? OMG! India is a trip though. You'll never complain about traffic after having been a passenger in India Traffic. I honestly don't know how they do it.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Madman133 said:
So true!. Best way to drive in PR is to get the rental car insurance and drive like a maniac.
It was actually kind of fun. Just honk the horn a lot and switch lanes randomly. You can actually spot the tourist cause they actually use turn signals! It's a free for all!

·
183 BRO's before hoes.
582 Posts
CrimsonFox said:
4. 10 mph below the posted speed limit seems to be the normal speed on the highway, most days. However, I notice that traffic moves at or in excess of the speed limit in the snow. Is there something I don't know about driving in the snow?

:madman:
As far as I can tell, that is everyone trying to prove to each other that they know how to drive in the snow. It is quite entertaining.

·
183 BRO's before hoes.
582 Posts
nOOby said:
it 's the self righteousness of some people that gets me. driving by turnout after turnout with a long line of car behind them. idiots.
Wouldn't you be pissed off if every weekend thousands of cars drove through your neighborhood to the point that you cant pull out of your driveway somethimes? Some of them at 5 mph and others at 30 above the limit? I always pull off for people, I chose to live here knowing it was a problem and I'm not going to hold anyone back who is trying to get back to Denver.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.