Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, what would happen if you had old raw chicken in the fridge that is quite past its time, cooked it really good (over cooked), and ate it? Would you still get sick? I'd imagine that it'd get some microorganisms festering in there, but cooking the snot out of it (say boiling it for a long time) would kill all of them. Would it just taste bad? Just curious.

The wife is making a chicken cassarole for dinner and we had some new chicken, and some old chicken, and I didn't thow out the old chicken when I put the new chicken in the fridge (like I knew it was old) so she had to figure out which chicken breast was the old one.

· "El Whatever"
18,874 Posts
bmadau said:
Just wondering, what would happen if you had old raw chicken in the fridge that is quite past its time, cooked it really good (over cooked), and ate it? Would you still get sick? I'd imagine that it'd get some microorganisms festering in there, but cooking the snot out of it (say boiling it for a long time) would kill all of them. Would it just taste bad? Just curious.

The wife is making a chicken cassarole for dinner and we had some new chicken, and some old chicken, and I didn't thow out the old chicken when I put the new chicken in the fridge (like I knew it was old) so she had to figure out which chicken breast was the old one.
I'd say pass on it, bro!

There's a reason why we don't eat things that died naturally. Decomposition makes god knows what to our stomachs. Ok, vultures and sharks can take it... I doubt we can.

OTOH... if you have one of those fridges that freezes things several degrees under zero (Centigrades), it might be still good even after a long period of storage. Some turkeys are kept in freezer for a year or some time alike... food for thought.

· Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No no... I don't plan on eating it. I'm asking, "What if", as if you accidentally ate old chicken, even if it has been well cooked...

BTW, it wasn't rancid or anything, just been in the fridge longer than the "comfort" zone, a little over a week.

· "El Whatever"
18,874 Posts
bmadau said:
No no... I don't plan on eating it. I'm asking, "What if", as if you accidentally ate old chicken, even if it has been well cooked...

BTW, it wasn't rancid or anything, just been in the fridge longer than the "comfort" zone, a little over a week.
Fridge or Freezer?? Understanding that Freezer keep things hard as rock and Fridge keeps them cold but ready to cook.

If in the fridge... er... I'd pass on it. God Forgives me for dumping food but I wouldn't take a chance. It's not worth the risk.

If in the freezer... no prob. God knows how much time before thanksgiving all those beautiful Parson's turkeys have been stored. I guess it's on next early january when the '06 Thanksgiving Turkeys are released :D

· Registered
1,592 Posts
You should be able to SMELL the difference.
If I have chicken in the fridge for a couple to three days I can tell it is starting to go and I keep my fridge just above freezing as a rule.

I tend to take the frozen stuff out in the AM and try to cook it that evening.

The sell by dates are worthless anymore IMO. The last beef that went bad still had a couple days on the dates.

· Registered
3,976 Posts
A few coworkers of mine ate bad chicken (pot luck at work).... after it was cooked, just like you describe. They started to feel ill about 4 hours later. By evening most of them were praying for death...puking , diarrhea, and nausea. It lasted for days with some of them.

Since then, If I even suspect that food is bad, I won't go near it

· Ride Instigator
3,230 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
A few coworkers of mine ate bad chicken (pot luck at work).... after it was cooked, just like you describe. They started to feel ill about 4 hours later. By evening most of them were praying for death...puking , diarrhea, and nausea. It lasted for days with some of them.

Since then, If I even suspect that food is bad, I won't go near it
And for this reason I always say "When in Doubt...Throw it OUT".

Tossing 10 bucks worth of meat (or whatever) in the garbage is a very small price to pay for NOT being sicker then a dog like Blue Shorts coworkers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.