Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I missed my son's game last night but I told him if he crushed the ball, I would take him to a major league game. Well he did and I got to pony up. Only thing is I haven't been to a game in a long time.

What's the best experience? Giants or As? How much $ for tix? What kind of seats should I get? what? what? what?

Bummer is he hasn't ridden mtb this year yet. Also there's 45 practices and games!!! But every time he goes on the field, he is happy so that's ok.

fc

p.s. my wife takes good photos with the ancient Canon G6.

Attachments

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Giants. The stadium alone is worth the visit for a kid and any fan of the game. Food while insanely priced is good. And with their pitchers actually pitching well (talking about Zito), a game is worth a visit, as long as they are producing runs. Ticket prices were dropped a bit. Bleacher seats are affordable, raucous fans, good viewing environment but no back rest. Of course I would love to sit Lower Club (VIP) all the time since you have access to all your own food and bathrooms, but lower box is just as good.

Stub Hub for tickets.

·
mmm
952 Posts
You can't beat the experience of Giant's stadium. Take Caltrain all the way up. Views of the water, awesome brick stadium. Bleacher seats are still a great view since the park runs on the small side. Go early for batting practice to try to catch some baseballs.

Food is expensive but you pass by a Safeway, Quiznos, and Amicis on the way to the stadium from Caltrain.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
+3 for GIANTS!!!! and the new stadium - it's beautiful :thumbsup:

"Let's Go Gi-ants!! :clap, clap, clap-clap-clap:" :D

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
I say Giants too. It is a classic baseball field, and there is plenty else to see and do in the City. It's a beautiful part of the City and there is a friendly vibe. Can't say the same for Oakland, sorry to everyone who lives there. I just wouldn't want to subject my kids to that kind of scene.

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Oh, and I say that being a HUGE A's fan when I was his age. I had every stat from every player memorized. Those were the days of Ricky Henderson and Billy Ball. Anyone remember Billy Martin?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
+5 for the giants.

Go on a weekday, buy tix from stubhub about 3 hours before game time.

I went to about 10-15 games last year, and about 1/2 of those games I got lower box seats somewhere between 3rd and 1st base for about $8-$15 a ticket. The other games were a bit more for Lincecum games that I targeted.

I went to a couple A's games, and it sucked. Sure their GM is great, but the experience is crap compared to the giants. Maybe it was waiting in line for 4 innings to save a buck on $1 hotdogs, but other aspects just weren't there. Another thing that makes SF a good time (might be harder with the kids) is the hour before entering the stadium and the couple hours after. Zeke's, GB, Momo's, etc.

Also, the SJ Giants are freaking great this year. They have a bunch of super prospects down there right now, and honestly, I have more fun there than going to an A's game (and some SF games too).

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Huge A's fan/Giant's hater here but if it's ballpark "experience" you want, as much as it pains me to say it, go with a Giants game. It won't be cheap, but the park is really quite nice as long as you ignore all Bluetooth wearing douches. Try to go to a game where Tim Lincecum is the starting pitcher. That kid brings it.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Carl Hungus said:
What kind of "scene" would that be? Working class people watching a baseball game? The Horror!!!
I actually enjoyed the second hand high. That was one of the good things. The fans that showed up already drunk, and vommited in the stands, not so much.

·
Fat Guy Riding
877 Posts
If you don't have any team loyalties, then Giants is the way to go for sure. Awesome ballpark, cool stuff for the kids to see and this year, tickets are semi-reasonable.

Oh, and if you want to see a team that's not already 7 games below .500, then it's the Giants too.

SUCK IT A'S FANS.

(Bring on the empty SF Giants Trophy case, I'm ready!)

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Go Giants!

Did you see the news about Manny? I wonder if they knew something was up when they didn't budge to make him an offer over the winter..

·
Banned
1,391 Posts
Bleacher seats left field in oakland. He will LOVE IT. There's no better atmosphere for a baseball game.

Unless of course, you want to watch a game with a bunch of other tie wearing, PDA wielding "baseball fans," then you should go to SF.

·
Banned
1,391 Posts
highdelll said:
+3 for GIANTS!!!! and the new stadium - it's beautiful :thumbsup:

"Let's Go Gi-ants!! :clap, clap, clap-clap-clap:" :D
Where do you think that cheer originated? Thats right. The Town

·
Hardtail Mafia
58 Posts
Giants. Best stadium, best crowd, best food, best view, etc. Playing decently this year, hopefully they'll turn it on a little harder, especially since the Dodgers are without Manny now. You can typically get good deals on tickets off Craigslist.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts