Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i can help out a fellow mtb'er i'd prefer to give someone here some business.

i want to put a big steel building on my lot, it'll be a garage/shop/bike work station and workout area.

if anyone here is in this business drop me a note.

cheers, j-

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wish.
30-ish x 80-ish
waiting to hear back from centurylink regarding getting a waiver to build a lil closer to their lines. there is plenty of room on the other side of the line so i'm hoping i can get an extra 5 feet across the front.

i'm trying to go as big as i can, i need my man cave for the bikes and jeeps and other things.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
getting ready to call bunger after some grub for lunch. they built a hangar for a buddy and he's been quite happy with it.

the wife and i like industrial. i'll have a section with an interior wall that will be insulated for the workout room and bike repair station. the rest of it i wont have any interior finishing done. part of the interior will be my shop. for my therapy i like to dabble with metal, concrete, wood, jeeps, bikes, yada-yada-yada. since it'll be a shop i dont want a nice, finished interior.

will it be hot, in the shop area, yup.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm happy to hear others recommend bunger.
my buddy was happy with them, but one project doesnt mean theyre good nor bad. but to hear you guys give em good reviews is great. i appreciate y'all's input.

thanks folks
cheers, md

·
Registered
157 Posts
I installed my own 10 years ago. Bought it from Freedom Steel. Most of the large steel building companies use the same warehouses throughout the US. The best deals now are from a company in New Mexico; I'll put a link in later if I can remember which one...
The concrete work cost a little more than the steel kit. I did a commercial foundation because I am close to the Superstition Mountains and our soil is extremely rocky with high clay content; lots of movement when it rains. I know others that have used Bunger, I didn't because they were about $15K more; mine is 40 x 60 x 14h. I suggest getting 16' sidewalls. That allows you to build a mezzanine for more storage. I built a horseshoe shaped mezzanine about 5' wide around the perimeter 8' above the floor. It took no floor space, I can still fit the race cars and other toys. The mezzanine is over the work benches which made it easy to put up extra lighting for working on stuff on the benches.

40 x 60 filled up fast, I added a 30 x 45 next to it and it is close to full.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm curious, why steel? I would think it would get real hot in the summer.
Any building without insulation and ventilation will get hot. Very little difference in the temperature of a steel building compared to a stick frame. Advantages of steel is the consistency of the parts, speed of assembly, longevity of the building, and reduced maintenance.
Once the concrete was cured enough, it took me 1 week to completely fabricate the building; not including electrical trim and lighting. You can't do a stick built 40 x 60 x 14 in 60 man-hours

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
a/c, thanks for the mezzanine suggestion.
i definitely want it high enough for a vehicle on a life, hadn't thought about using that space for storage also.
i'm on south mtn, a buddy who's an architect and the concrete guy who poured my front patio said our soil up there isn't going anywhere, once you get to the solid rock, which isn't difficult to get to. so i've got that going for me.
i'll check out freedom and see what comes up with steel building searches in NM.

thx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.