Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pushing for an internship in a tech sales position, and I'm trying to learn the basics behind enterprise networking. One mentor said I should look into concepts around EN with an emphasis on MPLS, security, VOIP, Video, and IPTV. I've googled, but a lot of what comes up isn't basic, this is what it is kinda stuff. It's got a whole bunch of other EN terms. Just wondering if anybody had any advice or websites I could check out. I've even visited the computerreview.com site and it had like, 4 people on the forums. Any suggestions? Thanks alot guys...!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Stumpy_Steve said:
I'm pushing for an internship in a tech sales position, and I'm trying to learn the basics behind enterprise networking. One mentor said I should look into concepts around EN with an emphasis on MPLS, security, VOIP, Video, and IPTV. I've googled, but a lot of what comes up isn't basic, this is what it is kinda stuff. It's got a whole bunch of other EN terms. Just wondering if anybody had any advice or websites I could check out. I've even visited the computerreview.com site and it had like, 4 people on the forums. Any suggestions? Thanks alot guys...!:thumbsup:
Where are you located?

I would recomend focusing on VOIP / "IP Communications." This will emerse you in all the other stuff you mention - as IP Communications drives the sale of the complete LAN/WAN & Security solution.

If you are in the East Bay, I may know some places...

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Fremont, and I kinda already have something lined up as an internship. This is just for my own personal research. Kinda don't wanna go in blind, ya know... But I will def. google some of the stuff you wrote. Thanks! Anyone else?

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Not sure how much MPLS is implemented within the EN, but the Security and VoIP stuff are pretty hot lately.

What are you selling and to what size companies? There are different points and concerns for each. Cisco's website has lots of slides and powerpoint presentations on many different subjects, mostly related to their own products of course. You may find them of use either way.

Off Topic: Congrats to imridingmybike on 5000 posts! 5.5 posts per day, whee!

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
NoBalance said:
Not sure how much MPLS is implemented within the EN, but the Security and VoIP stuff are pretty hot lately.

What are you selling and to what size companies? There are different points and concerns for each. Cisco's website has lots of slides and powerpoint presentations on many different subjects, mostly related to their own products of course. You may find them of use either way.

Off Topic: Congrats to imridingmybike on 5000 posts! 5.5 posts per day, whee!
The WAN circuit is generally driven by the app. Focusing on the WAN (MPLS) may not be as fruitfull as focusing on what it's supporting.

When you get into IP Video (conferencing, Telepresense, streaming, etc) WAN speeds go up - even beyond what MPLS can support.

Yes, I'm a self avowed blatherskite!:thumbsup:

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,165 Posts
Here's a couple mag links that may help you out. I find Network Computing to be quite useful for researching products as well as technology.
http://www.networkcomputing.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=166402668&queryText=mpls

Also check out Infoweek, InfoWorld. As IRMB stated, you have to consider what the network will be supporting. Just data? VOIP, video etc? The business side of the equation has to justify the cost layout. We rolled out an MPLS late last year to replace a cobbled PIX VPN config and some point to points T1s. We needed our offices to be able to see each other not just a hub n spoke arrangement. I also wanted to have the ability to set up QOS for the eventual VOIP and IP Vid conf setups between offices. That then led to installing bigger routers up front so additional cards could be installed vs. swapping routers out with changes.
Other things to consider for EN: WAN and MPLS can have issues regardless of pipe size between locations. Then another technology to consider is WAN Consolidation devices such as Riverbed and Cisco's WAAS products. But those can cause problems with certain applications too. User experiences can deteriorate Not everything can be optimized. Dig around Cisco's site for some educational materials. They've got a good bit available.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6557/products_ios_technology_home.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tsd_technology_support_category_home.html

Maybe check out the Techrepublic forums/site? http://techrepublic.com.com

You're looking at a huge field here. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.