Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
TLL said:
Poor dog.

That guy pretty much repeated every half truth about pit bulls ever written.
Sorry, are you for or against Pit Bulls? Serious question.

I have a (probably) pit bull cross (registered (not by me) as a staffy cross). She is very hyper, needs huge exercise, and will chase anything. But she is a beautiful dog, that, as the guy said, needs careful management.

And I agree. Poor bloody dog.

Nick

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if they had to put him under in order to get all the quills out. I had a dog that tangled with a porcupine and received about five quills. The quills have a barb so you have to snip them and push them through. There is no pulling them out the way they went in.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
DIRTJUNKIE said:
I wonder if they had to put him under in order to get all the quills out. I had a dog that tangled with a porcupine and received about five quills. The quills have a barb so you have to snip them and push them through. There is no pulling them out the way they went in.
After reading the end result of that lil porcupine encounter, I'm not sure that matters.

sad, but pitbulls are pretty damn stubborn.

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
That's a crazy amount of quills. Can't even tell what kind of dog it is.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't like to see any animal suffer, Pit Bull or not. On the other hand, I think anyone who brings a Pit into a residential area should have his head examined. Here in Lubbock there have been a spate of Pit Bull attacks, the last was a 70 year old man walking his dog. He was severely injured and his dog killed, before that a young girl got her lip torn off. They are just too much of a risk for socially responsible people to bring Pits into our neighborhoods!

·
Registered
122 Posts
How big was the porcupine

By the look of the size of the quills it was a small porcupine, and the number of quills is imo way too much, well maybe the porcupines over there is different than the ones we have here in South Africa.:confused:

·
Registered
622 Posts
denmikseb said:
I don't like to see any animal suffer, Pit Bull or not. On the other hand, I think anyone who brings a Pit into a residential area should have his head examined. Here in Lubbock there have been a spate of Pit Bull attacks, the last was a 70 year old man walking his dog. He was severely injured and his dog killed, before that a young girl got her lip torn off. They are just too much of a risk for socially responsible people to bring Pits into our neighborhoods!
I know a couple people with Pit bulls, they can be a nice as any other breed of dog. The problem I see is that a lot of people want them for their "Badass" reputation and raise them to be as mean as possible. I dont want to generalize all Pit bull owners, but lots of them I see are less than "upstanding" citizens. A lot of the Pit bull owners I see are the same people I see in trouble with the law all the time. They want to look tough and have a tough looking dog at the same time, being the criminal type, they are less than responsible people and dont take the care in raising a dog to be gentle, they raise them to be mean.
If you look at the dogs owned by mature, responsible people, you will more than likely see a well behaved, well mannered Pitbull, if you look at irresponsible, scumbags, they usually raise their Pitt bulls to be bad asses, with big, heavy chains for collars just to make the dog look even tougher.
If you look at the people who own the Pitt bulls that have attacked, they are usually scumbags or morons who raise them to be like their reputation, the well behaved Pitt bulls never make the news.

·
45,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
aaron04 said:
I know a couple people with Pit bulls, they can be a nice as any other breed of dog. The problem I see is that a lot of people want them for their "Badass" reputation and raise them to be as mean as possible. I dont want to generalize all Pit bull owners, but lots of them I see are less than "upstanding" citizens. A lot of the Pit bull owners I see are the same people I see in trouble with the law all the time. They want to look tough and have a tough looking dog at the same time, being the criminal type, they are less than responsible people and dont take the care in raising a dog to be gentle, they raise them to be mean.
If you look at the dogs owned by mature, responsible people, you will more than likely see a well behaved, well mannered Pitbull, if you look at irresponsible, scumbags, they usually raise their Pitt bulls to be bad asses, with big, heavy chains for collars just to make the dog look even tougher.
If you look at the people who own the Pitt bulls that have attacked, they are usually scumbags or morons who raise them to be like their reputation, the well behaved Pitt bulls never make the news.
I agree that "most" of the time it is the scumbag owner that brought the dog up to be a bad ass that there becomes a problem dog. But the sad fact is that this breed [Pitt bull] was bred for fighting from way back. You can not just expect an animal to not have tendencies that have been bred into them for hundreds of years. And then shoved in to todays society and brought up in a loving environment without any of these tendencies ever showing their face... You could have a sweet Pitt Bull for many years without any problems and then one day he snaps for no apparent reason. The reason is because it is in their ancestry / blood. It really sucks that humans bred them this way and in today's society there are people that think they can have one around other people and dogs because they brought them up in a loving way. We did it to ourselves. And IMO that breed should not be allowed into neiborhoods but rather confined to rural settings. No other breed of dog would attack a porcupine with such voracity. Any other breed would have left well enough alone after the first or secant quill encounter. Every dog I have ever owned or seen [non Pitt Bull] it only took one encounter with a porcupine to learn their lesson.

·
Registered
125 Posts
idk my calihoula is extremely animal aggresive, which i dont mind cuz i dont bring here around other dogs or animals except when i hunt she is an excellent hog dog. she attacked my friends pit one day and really tore him up, so since then i wont let her near other dogs. its hard to say if she would still go after a porcupine itd prob take more than on prick but not hundreds like that.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I was taking a drive one day and pulled off the road for a little break, I walked around a little hill on the side of the road and saw a Pitt Bull hanging from a tree with a noose around it's neck. I can only assume the dog must have bit the owner and the TOTAL ASS who owned it hanged it from the tree in some bizarre fit of revenge. It was a sickening sight, I cut the dog down and buried it in a small hole and covered it with rocks.
I can only imagine what type of psycho could actually hang a dog like that!
I would have loved to walk up on the scumbag before he performed his sick little deed.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
OldNick said:
Sorry, are you for or against Pit Bulls? Serious question.
Serious answer: I like Pit Bulls. I think they can be a great dog for the right person. But I tire of reading the stereotypes. Of course, the lowlifes that train them to be overly aggressive are partially responsible for this.

·
ride the moment
1,062 Posts
I half agree with DIRTJUNKIE... you can't always train them not to be aggressive towards animals, but you can train them to listen to you when you tell them no, at least long enough to grab a hold of them. I own the beautiful pit that you see in my avatar. She is very "small animal/dog aggressive" and very defensive about larger dogs. I got her at 10 months from an abusive/neglectful home, so I'm not sure how she would have turned out with earlier socialization. She can make dog friends, but it takes a certain kind of dog and some time. If dogs mind their own business she'll stay right beside me and be fine, but if they run up in her face its over. Anything under 20 lbs is a furry snack and she'll go after it. I know this about her and keep her on a leash and its never been a real problem. If I see an irresponsible owner with an untrained dog off leash, I usually just put her over my shoulder until they can control their dog. She LOVES people and can't keep her tongue in her mouth. Even in dog fighting circles, dogs that bite people are put down for obvious reasons, even dog gamblers don't want to get bit. I'm not saying pits don't bite people ever, I'm just saying its no more frequent than any other breed. You can make a lab bite someone if you chain it up in the back yard and let the neighborhood kids tease it with sticks and rocks all day. There are irresponsible owners of all breeds of dogs. I personally think that there should be extensive licensing to own any pet. I spent twelve weeks in obedience class and its an ongoing process to practice and improve on the lessons, not because I own a pit bull, but because I wanted a well behaved dog. I would have done the same with any other breed. If your dog doesn't listen to every single command you give it, no matter what, then you should make certain it is under physical control 100% of the time its outside your house.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,928 Posts
That dog almost looks like a regular old bull terrier, but it's so hard to tell with all the quills. North American porcupines are a lot smaller than the african variety, but they pack a mean punch with a LOT of quills.

I've met a lot of wonderful pitbulls over the years, and it all comes down to how they're raised. The badass criminal type is going to raise a badass criminal dog. Someone who chains their dog up in the backyard 24/7 is going to raise a short-tempered frustrated dog. Doesn't matter what it is.

·
Registered
534 Posts
denmikseb said:
No, morons who drag dangerous dogs into public places aught be be strung up. There's a difference. Pits are generally great dogs, probably my favorite breed from a personality standpoint, but they seem to attract exceptionally stupid owners. Couple that with a fear mongering media and a receptive public and *poof* they're evil.

·
45,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Dogbrain said:
I half agree with DIRTJUNKIE... you can't always train them not to be aggressive towards animals, but you can train them to listen to you when you tell them no, at least long enough to grab a hold of them. I own the beautiful pit that you see in my avatar. She is very "small animal/dog aggressive" and very defensive about larger dogs. I got her at 10 months from an abusive/neglectful home, so I'm not sure how she would have turned out with earlier socialization. She can make dog friends, but it takes a certain kind of dog and some time. If dogs mind their own business she'll stay right beside me and be fine, but if they run up in her face its over. Anything under 20 lbs is a furry snack and she'll go after it. I know this about her and keep her on a leash and its never been a real problem. If I see an irresponsible owner with an untrained dog off leash, I usually just put her over my shoulder until they can control their dog. She LOVES people and can't keep her tongue in her mouth. Even in dog fighting circles, dogs that bite people are put down for obvious reasons, even dog gamblers don't want to get bit. I'm not saying pits don't bite people ever, I'm just saying its no more frequent than any other breed. You can make a lab bite someone if you chain it up in the back yard and let the neighborhood kids tease it with sticks and rocks all day. There are irresponsible owners of all breeds of dogs. I personally think that there should be extensive licensing to own any pet. I spent twelve weeks in obedience class and its an ongoing process to practice and improve on the lessons, not because I own a pit bull, but because I wanted a well behaved dog. I would have done the same with any other breed. If your dog doesn't listen to every single command you give it, no matter what, then you should make certain it is under physical control 100% of the time its outside your house.
I never said a Pit Bull couldn't be a great pet. In fact I had a room mate that had one that was a huge loving dog. He had one of the coolest personalities of all the dogs I have ever known. Although he had a sad fate because of his muscular bulk he was stolen for fighting. Someone broke into his parent's huge mansion like home and only stole the dog. Obviously taken for fighting purposes. But to get back on what I originally said. Even though a pit is brought up in a loving environment doesn't make him or her revert back to what is in their blood at any given moment. Check out these stats....

THE MOST VICIOUS BREEDS
In the period from 1979 to 1996, there were 154 reported fatal dog attacks. Five breeds accounted for two-thirds of those attacks. Those breeds, in order of the most fatalities, are: Pit Bull, Rottweiler, German Shepherd, Husky, Alaskan Malamute. Pit Bulls were responsible for twice as many fatal attacks as any other breed and over half of all fatal attacks.

·
Registered
534 Posts
DIRTJUNKIE said:
THE MOST VICIOUS BREEDS
In the period from 1979 to 1996, there were 154 reported fatal dog attacks. Five breeds accounted for two-thirds of those attacks. Those breeds, in order of the most fatalities, are: Pit Bull, Rottweiler, German Shepherd, Husky, Alaskan Malamute. Pit Bulls were responsible for twice as many fatal attacks as any other breed and over half of all fatal attacks.
Just out of curiosity, where does this data come from?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.