Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out a friend of mine has a oryx desert deuller (SP) for sale. its a 2002 frame, made from cro-mo. he said he would sell it to me for really cheap (not going to say how much, but under one hundred fifty bones) its a DD 66. I dunno, he bought it up in canada a while back, 16 in frame. was just going to build it up as a hardtail for whistler (since my P. isnt going up there)

any one heard of them ? things I should watch out for ? I just cant really find any info on them.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
They are a canadian brand, and that is probably why you have not heard too much about them. Cromo generally has a longer lifespan than aluminum, but be sure that it has not been abused too too much before pulling the trigger.

I can't help ya too much, because i don't have any experience with the product.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
The frames are heavy (about 7.1 pounds), short (the difference between the S/M and L/XL was half of inch of effective toptube length at 21.5 and 22" respectively), and surprisingly defective in the durability department. They existed for 3 model years, 2002 was the first, and each successive year's frame got more gussets/redesigns to make it last longer. The 2005 frame which only got produced long enough to end up being used as a warranty item abandoned chromoly altogether for aluminium construction (guess they figured that if they were gonna make a 7 pound frame, use the material with a higher strength to weight ratio).

Personally, $150 is too much for one. I was paying $100US BRAND NEW for them off ebay a couple years ago, direct from a procycle factory employee who used to put the frames up on ebay.

·
Registered
374 Posts
$150 for the frame? If so a little much.
Anyhoo, I have a second hand Oryx I JUST bought and so far has served me verry well, exept that my left crank arm and peddle came right off when i was runnig late to babysit :eek: !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.