Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone rec a lbs in Orlando or Tampa that has a decent protective gear section? In the market for some knee/shin protection and wanted to try on a few types instead of blindly ordering online.

·
Ye Olde Phartt
60 Posts
Since I ride platforms with those wicked shin-shredding pins, I went through this search several months ago and couldn't find any shops with knee/shin guards in northeast Orange or Seminole counties (David's World Cycles, Bike Works). Even the Santos bike shop was devoid of hardcore leg gear. I didn't check at Orange Cycles though.

I ended up purchasing some "Roach Rally FR Leg Armor" online from Pricepoint. The Roach pads have been perfect thus far and were recommended by a buddy.

·
Jackalope Hunter
934 Posts
x2 on the Roach Pads, I've had a pair for over four years and they are still hanging in there. I actually got a new pair of TLD's that cost (a lot) more but didn't like the way they fit and went back to the Roach pads. Go figure...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
orange cycles has a few pairs of fox stuff, was just hoping for somewhere with some 661 stuff as well. Man you'd figure that LBSs would realize they have an opportunity to steal back some buisness by having this stuff in stock. I would gladly pay another 5-10 bucks if I could try on that kind of stuff before I bought it.

·
Praise Bob
490 Posts
I live in Tampa and none of the shops here stock that stuff. You might want to try AJ's Bikes N Boards out in Brandon especially if you ride at Alafia.

I also have the RF Roaches and they have worked out pretty well. My only complaint is that one of the straps fell off on my first ride. My wife rocks the same shin guards with no issues. Ive had them for over a year and they've stood up to some serious abuse and they dont slide down while pedaling.

I had a set of 661 Race pads and the elastic wore out prematurely so they never stayed in place wihle riding. I didnt get that many miles out of them but they were pretty good for a couple of months.

I know several people that have the TLD's and swear by them.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
We found a nice set for my wife at AJs.

I thought I saw some at that Adrenaline place at International Mall. Dicks may have also had some.

·
Jackalope Hunter
934 Posts
hygieneboy said:
Try soccer shin guards. Very cheap and effective.:thumbsup:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but most soccer shin guards don't have knee pads... ;)

G

·
hygieneboy said:
Try soccer shin guards. Very cheap and effective.:thumbsup:
Yeah, I have seen some riders don them on, but the bad part is the knees are still exposed and they are the ones that usually get banged up first on a crash. ;)

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
Not enough of a market for that stuff in FL to see a large selection in most 'normal' bike shops. That being said, for the Tampa area, try J&R: www.jrbicycles.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts