Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody,

Any hidden jewels as far as bike shops in the Orlando area? Be down here for the next week and would love to see some older school shops around town (if there are any). Not sure what exactly I'm looking for, but some shops that have been around for a while with some 80's 90's or older heritage would be cool! Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think Orange Cycles in College park is the oldest shop in town, there is a picture there of the old shop that looks like it dates back to the 70's they are on Edgewater drive not far from downtown. Also on orange there is Retro city cycles I have not been there personally but I hear is a good shop. In winter park you have Loco Motion but they are mostly road guys but it's a good Place.

·
Registered
100 Posts
pucho said:
I think Orange Cycles in College park is the oldest shop in town, there is a picture there of the old shop that looks like it dates back to the 70's they are on Edgewater drive not far from downtown. Also on orange there is Retro city cycles I have not been there personally but I hear is a good shop. In winter park you have Loco Motion but they are mostly road guys but it's a good Place.
Hey I have to agree with Puncho..Orange Cycles has been around forever! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bike Shops in roughly West to East order...

West of Downtown:
Orange Cycles -- Easily the largest shop in the area. If you want something RIGHT NOW, they'll probably have it in stock. Prices are generally near MSRP, but they have enough inventory that something is ALWAYS on sale today. Specialized and Raleigh stand out in my memory for bike brands. For some reason, I've never bought anything here. Very busy with a slightly 'corporate' feel to the place.

David's World Cycles -- half a mile directly north of Orange Cycle, and about 1/2 the size. Trek/GF dealer. I've spent about $75 here (seat, pump, fork parts) in the last 6 months. When I was looking for a headset, they stood out for asking 10% OVER MSRP on a Cane Creek S3 or Chris King. They sold me a defective suspension pump and didn't give me a hassle when I asked for a replacement a week later (with receipt).

North of Downtown:
Retro City -- Small shop with a 50/50 (?) mix of used and new bikes. Employees typically have moderate amount of ink and piercings. Home shop for the Orlando Bike-O-Psycho drinking club. Perhaps the closest to what you're seeking in 'feel'. I like the place, but haven't bought anything here recently (other than a few water bottles).

East of Downtown:
Kyle's Bike Shop -- Deceptively small showroom and a large backroom for repairs. 100% used bikes with surprisingly fair prices. My FIRST choice for any repairs/upgrades I don't feel like (or don't feel capable of) doing myself. There are usually a handful of shady characters hanging around this place watching crazy downhill/freeride videos when I visit. If this place didn't exist, I'd be a better customer at Retro City.

Eastern Orlando Metro area:
Bike Works -- I've spent about $20 here in the last few months, usually on a weekend when I wanted a small part (tube for a hybrid, a brake cable, etc.). It's the closest 'serious' bike shop to my house and is roughly the size of David's World above. No complaints, but the place just doesn't have much appeal to me. Notable for the time I was browsing parts and watched the employees spend A LOT of time getting a young lady 'fitted' to her new road bike. They swapped out a few seats from inventory, made adjustments a few millimeters at a time, let her try 3 different clipless pedal systems, etc.

Rick

·
Jackalope Hunter
934 Posts
X2 on Kyle's. Kyle is a great guy and has a good crew that does top notch work. FYI Kyle is a Transition and Jamis dealer, he just doesn't really keep too many new bikes in the house. He orders them as needed and has built killer bikes for me and lots of people I know. (I've been known to lurk watching videos too, I don't know any "shady characters" though) ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I live in College Park about 5 blocks from Retro City Cycles and 7 blocks from Orange Cycle and Davids...

Orange and Retro are good shops...

Orange Cycle is the largest and oldest bike shop in Orlando. It is a large shop, but the people are friendly and helpful. They'll help you if you want it or give you your space if you prefer. They stock Specialized, Cannondale, Raleigh, Electra, Dahon folders, and Catrike. No older bikes on hand that I've ever noticed. If you show up, ask for Thijs pronouced Tise... (<--- good dude). After you leave roll south on Edgewater 4 blocks and eat at Christo's. They serve breakfast all day and it's the real deal little diner.

Retro City Cycles
is a much smaller shop, but the owner Dan is a nice guy and works if he's not out riding. He races for GT and knows his stuff. They stock GT (obviously), NICE Schwinn, Jamis, and Surly. They usually have some older stuff there but it changes often. When you're done, head across the street to the White Wolf Cafe for a bite.

IMO, Davids is a waste of time... I bought a Trek Soho for an around the town bike from a different Davids but I won't go back in. Not as polite and helpful as the other shops. I dropped off my Soho for one of their free tune-ups that come with a purchase (might as well use it) and I swear they did nothing to it. Davids is a chain shop and it shows. Nothing used and if you don't want a Trek or GF then there's nothing that you're looking for at Davids, but it's only 3 blocks north of Orange Cycles so walk up if you want.

Hope you have fun in my hood :cool:

·
Registered
970 Posts
www.locomotionbikes.com

The baldwin park one is the best shop in orlando =P.

The winter park one is mainly roadie but the baldwin is a lot of bmx / mtbers.... i hang out at the baldwin location a little too much.

Locomotion in wp also has the nice urban assult rides every thursday which leave at 715pm..... a lot of fun.

here is my garmin map from one of them...
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/1480458

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.