Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
All the bikes I ever bought new:
1995 Schwinn Sierra: Stolen
1997 Pro Flex: Stolen
1998 Stumpjumper: cracked at the headtube.
1999 GT STS: Crash damaged
2001 Cannondale F-2000: Cracked seat tube
2003 Specialized Enduro: cracked close to the shock mount.
2006 Giant NRS carbon: Sold
2008 Elsworth Epiphany: Still going

I can honestly say I have had much more luck with the bikes I bought used.

·
Team Brooklyn
1,665 Posts
Owned this since it rolled out of the Merlin shop in 1989 (sorry Rumpfy, I know of your disdain for Mongoose bikes. ;) )
A few parts swaps over the years including clip less pedals (SpeedTraps), brakes Speed Controllers and Re-Entry levers and tires (best were Smole Lite Comp), Mag 20s and Ti bits wherever I could put them but this was my dream bike and I raced the hell out of it.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Original owner of:
1989 Mongoose Sycamore
1992 Klein Attitude
1995 Specialized S-Works FSR
1996 Diamond Back V-Link Pro
1996 Bianchi Super G
1996 Bontrager Race

Then my next new bike was a 2003 Surly Karate Monkey :D

·
Team Brooklyn
1,665 Posts
Should have mentioned thebTitus Ti seen here between the Mongoose and my S-Works FSR.

Lots of others Ive owned from new but sold, traded, broken or stolen

·
Spin it again
220 Posts
My one and only original owner bike (posted here before). It is still ridden regularly and has held up pretty well over the years. Some of the replacement/upgrade history:

Loose-bearing BB disintegrated under neglect, replaced with Phil
U-brake replaced with rollercam
Suntour XC Compe pedal spindle sheared off when the bike was quite young, Ibis provided replacement
Ibis bend RM-3 drops replaced with WTB RM-2s
Specialized headset notched out under neglect, replaced with WTB/King GG (til death do us part)
Rear WTB hub rebuilt by CC due to bearing outer race spinning in hub body
Upgrade to Modolo Pro brake levers (drillium deluxe)
Recent replacement of IRD seatpost due to crack developing near threaded insert (thanks GOB)
Replaced worn out Biopace rings
26T granny ring upgraded to 24T Action Tec Ti ring (my legs say 'thank you')
Upgrade Shimano QRs to Salsa/DKG QRs (sexier and better clearance around shrouded Koski dropouts)
Recently replaced klunky Velociraptors with skinwall IRC X1 Comps (amazing how shaving a few hundred grams off the wheels improves climbing efficiency)

Older photos

Original Turbo saddle, still hanging in there (barely)

After RM-2 / Modolo Pro upgrades:

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
90 Ala Carte
01 MC MutinyMan
07 Orbea Lanza

·
Registered
65 Posts
Orginal owner and still have
1989 Stumpjumper Team
1993 Mountain Cycle San Andreas Elite (Pro Stop Brakes and Suspender Fork)
1998 S-Works Team
1999 Serotta Concours Ti

2003 Santa Cruz Blur
2007 Niner Rip

Have a Day
Tom

·
Ti Fat
261 Posts
Here's my '99 Fat Ti, I've had since new. Just threw some tubeless tires on there to see what it's like. 2.25 is a little too beefy for the rear. Might have to trim some knobs.

Here's my '98 Rhygin, also bought new...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hello there Ritcheyp21, I know it's been years since you wrote this and I hope those years have been good to you and your wife. I have been looking in vain for over 2 years for a P-21 that would fit me and yours would be ideal. I have seen a few for sale, but much out of my budget as a geologist. I recently moved back to the Bay Area (Berkeley) to take care of my father, I was just curious on the very off chance 1) you actually get this message and 2) if there was any chance in the world you would part with the Ritchey P-21 I have been saving up for something like this and am so very much ready to buy one and ride her into the hills up here. If not, I understand and my best to you. Beautiful bike, Take care, Benjamin Claus (bpclaus at hotmail.com). Cheers

Hello,
Just joined here, long time lover of all two-wheeled machines, full time motorcycle mechanic living in So Cal since the mid sixties and married to a sweetheart.

1983 Tom Ritchey Team Comp 20", purchased new in March 84 and still use her as a commuter.

1997 Ritchey P21, purchased new in 2000 but have not used her much on the dirt ( I'm too heavy :mad: )

41 - 52 of 52 Posts