Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the "original" La Cruz frame built in Petaluma differs from the current offering?

curious how it has changed over the years if anyone has an older model.

thanks,

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
88 rex said:
The new one has discs.

The new one has 135mm rear spacing. I THINK the old one has 130mm rear spacing.

New has a straight blade fork, old is curved.

I don't know the geometries of the old one or the frame material, but they could be slightly diffferent also.
thanks for the reply - discs i know for sure. I think the older one may have been 135 spacing as well but i'm not sure either.

I guess the frame is still the same Reynolds steel?

·
Registered
148 Posts
CA - made La Cruz

The first-generation of the La Cruz was constructed from a mix of tubing; Tange, Reynolds, and Columbus. Fork was sloping crown, curve blades, Reynolds 531. Rear spacing was 130mm. Geometry similar to current, though BB was ~ 1cm higher.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Ross made it and I love it

I think I built it in 97 or 98 , She has lots of miles but I always wondered what it's worth. Not that I would ever sell it but I was dreaming of a ss29er. This bike rides s:thumbsup: weet on or off road.

Attachments

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
Here's my current La Cruz...

The current frame differs quite a lot from tg's finely preserved example of a Petaluma La Cruz (very nice, BTW). Full spec and geometry details are available on Salsa's Website, so I'll save the space and brain damage here. This particular bike is actually a pre-production La Cruz Complete that was built for Eurobike 2007, where the '08 La Cruz was first shown to the world. It's been raced in the '08 Trans Iowa and Dirty Kanza 200 gravel grinders (finished fifth in the 'Kanza, DNF at TI).

Clearance isn't quite as generous on the new bike as on the original, but it is still pretty good. I've run up to 44c WTB MutanoRaptors with no problems. 45c Panaracer Fire XCs are just a bit too much, as are Kenda Karma 1.9s. My current gravel road favorite is the Schwalbe Marathon Cross -- and that's a tire that I've been able to run tubeless very reliably. But I digress.

I really enjoy the disc brakes on the new La Cruz. I want all my bikes to have discs, though. They just work better.

The ride quality of the True Temper steel frame is excellent, and it has quickly become a favorite bike in my stable this season. I anticipate many long and happy miles with my La Cruz. The journey's just beginning!

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks a lot you guys for all the info (and the nice pics!)

i though i had a line on a Petaluma so i wanted to find out more about what I might be getting. Seems it's fallen through so I won't be la cruz'ing anytime soon, but I will keep my eye out for anothe one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.