Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
1,711 Posts
Nice. That bike looks pretty awesome. They win on most wide fork blades... wow... and I thought the O'beast was wide! Very cool looking though.

I grabbed some screen shots:

Screen shot 2014-03-23 at 6.32.45 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2014-03-23 at 6.33.33 PM.jpg

·
Registered
114 Posts
I hope I can buy that fork and put it on my crawler!
The fork is now for sale, I believe. The bike is not yet mentioned on Origin8's FB or website. I keep looking!

How is the NuVinci? I have read some complaints that it is not geared low enough. The concept is very appealing, reviews seem a little mixed on the reliability of it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The fork is now for sale, I believe. The bike is not yet mentioned on Origin8's FB or website. I keep looking!

How is the NuVinci? I have read some complaints that it is not geared low enough. The concept is very appealing, reviews seem a little mixed on the reliability of it.
This one is either 170 or 190 rear, so no nuvinci. Hooray for fewer options! They can't be caught with "old designs", after all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rumor has it that MSRP will be about $100 more than the crawler, and sport a 2x10sp drivetrain. I also heard that availability has been pushed back to about mid December.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I guess it is safe to say we won't see this bike in 2014. I am guessing the 2016 model year. Lots more competing bikes since March!

·
Registered
30 Posts
1-6-15 is the new ETA. I think msrp is about 1600. There will be 4 frame sizes, and they'll be selling it as a complete and as a frame set. Specs are up on the j&b site now as well.

Some specs:
6061 alloy custom hydroformed frame (disc only)
6061 alloy tapered steerer fork, 1.125"-1.5"
Frame clearance to 4.0", fork clearance to 4.7" tires
Sram X7 2x10 drivetrain

Origin-8 AT-PRO 801UL 80mm wide alloy rims with cutouts

Origin-8 Devist8er 26 x 4.0" Kevlar bead tires, 120tpi
Origin-8 alloy sealed-cartridge, QR hubs, 135mm/170mm

Avid BB7 brakes, 180mm rotors front and rear

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Many thanks for the detailed info, A.L.B. In the video from last March, it is a nice looking bike. Specs look like a very decent bike. Funny how fast things change in 9 months. The biggest issue now is standing out from the crowd! I don't know how much it will be with a carbon fork, but a decent price on that option would be a positive. It appears a Fatboy SE with aluminum fork is going to be around $1700. There is also a Farley around $1800.

Hopefully it will get some good reviews and do well!

What is the j&b site you mentioned?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ill have to check out those that you mentioned, 1,669 is the MSRP with a CrMo fork, the carbon fork looks to have an MSRP of 528, maps a little lower. Im curious to see how it does because I wouldn't mind adding a fat bike to the stable in my garage. Heres the page I pulled that from.

http://www.jbi.bike/web/checking_product_description.php?part_number=69528

Specialized list the Fatboy SE as having a carbon for and an MSRP of 1500, with a similar drive train. Wider tire possibilities as well but 5” tires seems on the excessive size of things. Curious to see some comparative reviews in the future.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks l took a look at that site. One thing I noticed was a weight limit of 250 lbs. Since I am about 260 lbs, I probably wouldn't go with that. At least they give a rating! Not all companies do. Frame problems are probably unlikely, but they would never cover the warranty if one occurred and was overloaded. That is of course rated for a 250 lb rider who rides hard.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts