Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running a Mary bar on my Specialized FSR 29er, and love the comfort and control it gives me. The only thing I don't like is the amount of rise it has, as I'd like to have a little more saddle-to-bar drop. Anyone know if the Origin-8 has less rise than the Mary bar, or is it an exact copy? Otherwise, I may have to get on the list for one of those custom groovy bars.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Space Bar broke on me one night in the city sending me to the ground in a nice faceplant. It broke in CITY riding, not hard riding at all. I'd never trust one of those offroad. Origin-8 has now stopped production of the alloy version and is coming out with a steel version. Marys break too.

Groovy Luv Handle now lives where the Space bar once used to, no worries about more faceplants now.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Also, I think another better alternative to Mary/Space bars is the Bontrager Satellite Plus Trekking bar...

Looks like it may be a little stronger than Mary/Space and has a nice spot to mount a headlight.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
madcap said:
Space Bar broke on me one night in the city sending me to the ground in a nice faceplant. It broke in CITY riding, not hard riding at all. I'd never trust one of those offroad. Origin-8 has now stopped production of the alloy version and is coming out with a steel version. Marys break too.

Groovy Luv Handle now lives where the Space bar once used to, no worries about more faceplants now.
Eeek. :eekster: How many Mary bars do we know of that have broken?

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
I'm thinking that both bars are prone to breaking more than the flat or standard riser just due to the bends of the bar. I love them but I've read more about them both breaking than most any other bar out there. We've probably sold a dozen of them and the only one that has broken so far was mine. Others are riding them on the trails and and the bars are holding up. But like you said, their time will come.

I like how Jitensha had Nitto make them a similar bar but included a extra layer or shim of material in the clamp area. That seems like it would strengthen it a little where it looks like most of them break.

For now, I'm more than happy with the Luv Handle, it's got a nice sweep to it. I sometimes thought the Mary/Space sweep was a tad too much.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
the misfit psycles fubar is an option as well. i broke a set of space bars about 4 months ago, and was extreamly nervious about riding bendy aluminum bars again. i tried the luv handles, and they were not for me. i finally ordered some fubars about a month ago. so far i am really happy with them. as soon as you pick them up, you can tell they are a burly set of bars. they are about 100 grams heavier than the mary/space, but i will take the weight for strenth. peter of misfit told me that he has yet to need to replace a set of broken fubars. fubar link

·
Terror of Sidewalls
301 Posts
I went with a FuBar as well on my SS, but sort of regret it out of my secret desire to receive lots of sympathy and presents as a result of a bloody, broken bar-related crash. Oh well, I'll do what I can to destroy it...

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
lunarprobe said:
I went with a FuBar as well on my SS, but sort of regret it out of my secret desire to receive lots of sympathy and presents as a result of a bloody, broken bar-related crash. Oh well, I'll do what I can to destroy it...
luckily when my space bars snapped in half, it was a low speed log crossing. it would have been really bad if i was bombing down a hill. the thought of that it why it took me months to get back on bendy aluminum bars. on the plus side of the whole thing, origin 8 was good about replacing the bars for free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.