Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just so happened I was looking for a backup frame for when the main ride goes down and after hearing about the redesigned Origin 8 Scout 29 I called the LBS who had just gotten one in stock. A quick trip down and the beast is in my hands and built 2x9 for the moment.
Still waiting on the 100mm Reba w/ poploc and cranks otherwise she is good to hammer with some temporary bits

the facts:

$200 retail

Medium frame, 19 in seattube c-t, 24 ett

6 lbs...a heavy beast

decent welds

nice paint job with clearcoat

27.2 seatpost, 30.0 seatpost clamp

31.8 derailleur

More coming soon.....

·
Goes to 11
220 Posts
Nice!
I just ordered one as well, mainly for commuting purposes, but if the short CS will make this bike as fun as i expect, it will also serve me as an all-around fun rigid SS.

any idea on the weight of your build?
more important, how does it ride? can you compare it to other steel frames you tried?

btw, great blog!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have the frame. I'll be starting the build next month.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Rather than taking the fork off, why not take the gears off?

My Origin8 Scout29 is rigged rigid single speed (carbon fork) and it is by far my favorite bike I have ever owned....

I love the new paint job on your though! I thought Origin8 had stopped making mtb frames!!! This is good news. Might pick one up and build another SS 29er for the wife!

Here's mine....

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pointerDixie214 said:
BTW- This frame of yours is still not on their website... how did you hear about it?!?!
Ummm...its listed on their site

As for gears and suspension, I'm eventually getting a Siren John Henry built. Which will be geared and suspended and which will be rigid and singlespeed is up for debate.

I need my gears by the way. When you have rides that take you between 9,000 and 14,000 ft, I want my gears...though I'm not opposed to occasionally tackling the high country on a singlespeed.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
mountaingoatepics said:
Ummm...its listed on their site

As for gears and suspension, I'm eventually getting a Siren John Henry built. Which will be geared and suspended and which will be rigid and singlespeed is up for debate.

I need my gears by the way. When you have rides that take you between 9,000 and 14,000 ft, I want my gears...though I'm not opposed to occasionally tackling the high country on a singlespeed.
Glad it wasn't a snake! HAHA I was looking under "Bicycles" and not "frames".

The Siren will be sick! I think I would do that one rigid and SS and the Origin8 Geared and suspended. But that's just me.

I have a geared suspended bike too, so trust me, no judgementalism coming your way from me! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Fork for this?

I like the new design... nice looking frame - I'm a fan of the seat tube bend ... short cs... looks pretty solid to me.

I know the website says 497 a2c measurement for the fork... that's a BIG fork! Niner stopped making the 490 a2c fork ... so who makes a rigid fork that big now?

Does anyone know what fork offset is it designed around?

S

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stevereeno...I'm running the 490 a-c Niner on it right now and my angle finder is coming up with a 70.5 degree head angle and 72 seat angle.Both about 1 degree slacker then their angles on the website. I'm curious if that length was just a typo. I think if you want the angles they claim, any 465mm a-c fork will do fine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Looks very nice. i got one on order to replace a jamis. should be picking it up saturday. I'll be putting a 100mm rockshox on it. Will post a pic of my build at some point

·
WNC Native
3,929 Posts
How does the tire clearance look if you were to run the wheel in the shortest CS position?

Is it pretty stiff?

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
Lookin good MGE...like the blingin' I9's picking up the red accents on the frame. Looks like the perfect backup setup...not bad all-around.

·