Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone seen one of these in person?

https://www.bicyclebuys.com/origin8-tsunami-29x3.0-folding-black-tire/0607102

I got a slow sidewall leak in my still newish xr2 this weekend so i am in need of an eventual replacement. this kinda looks fast rolling with those big long center knobs?

I really just don't want to pay 94 bucks for a new xr2. I am looking for a cheaper option (front summer hardpack tire) that doesn't suck...

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ranger & xr2 similar ride wise? tread patterns seem similar! haven't tried the ranger yet; maybe that is reason enough to give er a go....

is it as big as the xr2? riding rigid; i definitely appreciate the volume of the xr2. i was surprised the xr2 even seemed noticeably more voluminous than the 3" dhf it replaced this spring.

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
anyone seen one of these in person?

https://www.bicyclebuys.com/origin8-tsunami-29x3.0-folding-black-tire/0607102

I got a slow sidewall leak in my still newish xr2 this weekend so i am in need of an eventual replacement. this kinda looks fast rolling with those big long center knobs?

I really just don't want to pay 94 bucks for a new xr2. I am looking for a cheaper option (front summer hardpack tire) that doesn't suck...
Those are just Panaracer Fat B Nimbles with a different logo. I have 1 Fat B Nimble (front) & 1 Tsunami (rear) on my Velo Orange Piolet bikepacker/commuter. They're only 2.6 on i35 rims, & the sidewalls are pretty thin, I already have a tear in one sidewall. They are light. I'll run them for commuting until I wear them out or they fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
727 Posts
It you need something a little stronger go with a SE2. Same tread pattern and runner as the XR2, but it had a heavy duty sidewall. I've also read the tire doesn't balloon as much due to the heavier sidewall.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can you get the SE2 in 3.0? I didn't see one.

currently leaning toward a ranger in the light casing at this point since it is a front tire; it shouldn't see TOO much abuse.

i will definitely stay away from those origin 8 tires since you say they are undersized. i also liked the innova/gravity vidar as well but that is much smaller than the xr2 as well.

any other true to size 3.0 tires with decent rolling tread patterns i am overlooking?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Innova Pro Transformers are ~$45, and supposedly measure 2.9" (reasonable for a tire labeled 3.0).

Vee Trex Fatty is also cheap and looks like a good hardpack tire.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Vee Trax Fatty is tall and narrow (not a full 3.0), and the sidewall is wider than the tread. I ran it as a rear and it held up surprisingly well, despite quickly wearing most of the exterior sidewall rubber down to the threads on Austin’s super-rocky trails. (Interestingly, the Vee Bulldozer 3.25 I’m running as a rear tire now suffers from the same design)

The xr2/chupa is a bit of a unicorn in terms of light weight, volume and durability. I say patch your sidewall with a solid automotive radial tire patch and then wear that tire out.

Or move to 3.25 where the real rigid fun happens! ;)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the innova is a decent tire (had a couple) but more like a 2.8 in my guesstimation. i liked the grip. i'd use it as a back tire but not enough girth for the front for my rigid application. the vee fatty didn't impress me when i had it. IMHO not enough side lug traction; even for hardpack.

CCSS did you find the bulldozers have crazy self steer? i liked the bulldozer once i got used to the selfsteer when i had one but MAN that is a beefy tire. can't decide wether i want another one of those; or to reuse my DHF this winter but to me that is not a summer tire.

anyone want to compare feelings between the light casing ranger and the xr2? they seem the most similar tread wise and the ranger is 30 bucks less? gonna try to ride the xr2 a little longer but i need a backup. not opposed yto spending full $$$ on an xr2 if people think it really is a better or bigger tire than the ranger.

·
Registered
767 Posts
can you get the SE2 in 3.0? I didn't see one.

currently leaning toward a ranger in the light casing at this point since it is a front tire; it shouldn't see TOO much abuse.

i will definitely stay away from those origin 8 tires since you say they are undersized. i also liked the innova/gravity vidar as well but that is much smaller than the xr2 as well.

any other true to size 3.0 tires with decent rolling tread patterns i am overlooking?
SE2 comes in 2.6 as the widest currently.

·
Registered
947 Posts
CCSS did you find the bulldozers have crazy self steer? i liked the bulldozer once i got used to the selfsteer when i had one but MAN that is a beefy tire. can't decide wether i want another one of those; or to reuse my DHF this winter but to me that is not a summer tire.

anyone want to compare feelings between the light casing ranger and the xr2? they seem the most similar tread wise and the ranger is 30 bucks less? gonna try to ride the xr2 a little longer but i need a backup. not opposed yto spending full $$$ on an xr2 if people think it really is a better or bigger tire than the ranger.
I've only run the Bulldozer out back, so no issues with self-steer. Duro Crux up front is the hot ticket!

WRT Ranger vs XR2, I have trusted, anecdotal input. My local mechanic buddy ran chupas on his stache for a year, then decided to try the ranger lites when they came out. He shredded them immediately. This is Austin and the rocks are fierce, so YMMV.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
The xr2/chupa is a bit of a unicorn in terms of light weight, volume and durability. I say patch your sidewall with a solid automotive radial tire patch and then wear that tire out.
Any vulcanizing patches will do. The bike ones are fine.
I currently have a Chupa with Rema patches in 3 places (inside the tire). None of them leak.
I use acetone to clean, lightly sand the surface, clean again and clamp them lightly for an hour or 2 with a woodworking clamp.
I think that says a lot, both about the durability of the Chupa, and the reliability of the patches.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Ive used XR2 since they came out as Chupacabra years ago. They have always done very well in the rocks we have in AZ. Seem to be one of the tougher, longer lasting tires out there. I received a set of rangers to compare to the XR2 and rode them for about 200 miles. They seemed to drift more through corners and didn’t roll as well as the XR2.

All in all, the Ranger wore faster and were less predictable all around.

I run the XR2 tubeless on Stans Baron rims at 10 front and 11 rear. I ran the Ranger tubeless on the Stans Baron but had to increase pressure by 2 psi front and rear because of the decreased volume the Ranger versus the XR2.

I weigh 175.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Any vulcanizing patches will do. The bike ones are fine.
I currently have a Chupa with Rema patches in 3 places (inside the tire). None of them leak.
I agree that any vulcanizing patch will seal a leak, but with larger sidewall holes/cuts the thinner patches pop through like a little balloon. Which will quickly fail. The radial tire patches are rock solid, and cheap at an auto parts store.

As a 29+ early adopter - since back when the knard was the only choice - I've plugged and patched a LOT of tires :)

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
I agree that any vulcanizing patch will seal a leak, but with larger sidewall holes/cuts the thinner patches pop through like a little balloon. Which will quickly fail. The radial tire patches are rock solid, and cheap at an auto parts store.

As a 29+ early adopter - since back when the knard was the only choice - I've plugged and patched a LOT of tires :)
I patch the inside. I've never had this problem.

Once, I ripped a sidewall really badly on a Maxxis Chronicle. I sandwich-patched that (both inside and out) and it gave me no problems for the rest of its life. That damn tire lasted forever.

Good to know about the 'blue-ringed' patches being tougher.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you're looking for cheap 29 X 3.0 tires, I've been using CST BFTs and have been reasonably happy with their performance. Low rolling resistance, reasonably aggressive tread.

...not sure how true they are to 3.0 though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.