Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When do they usually post the 2009 OBRA calendar?

Hopefully they continue the Super D in the Gorge Games for 2009. That was a good course, it just needed a little more organization.

·
Leave it all on the trail
227 Posts
The Ashland Super D is a must! A fantastic grass roots gathering, good folks, and a fantastic course.

Not surprised at the WP downhill.... turn out was less than impressive on the last race of the series. I had a good time although the sport course was in horrible shape.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Switchback78 said:
The Ashland Super D is a must! A fantastic grass roots gathering, good folks, and a fantastic course.
Agree 100% :thumbsup:

Switchback78 said:
Not surprised at the WP downhill.... turn out was less than impressive on the last race of the series. I had a good time although the sport course was in horrible shape.
You are kidding, right? The course was in one of the best shapes I have seen it in several years.
They are just slow announcing the 09 series. Guess they will have the dates of the races up in May. ;) There were also rumors that they want hook up with someone else for a bigger series. :skep:

·
227 Posts
Regarding Willamette Pass DOWNHILL, no I am not and it was the talk during my visit so I know I am not crazy. They even made an announcement to us before the races apologizing for the conditions especially on the sport course that had stair cases for brake bumps.

Good to hear, I hope to at least show up for one race. Have always been an annual supporter of WP!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I still don't see the point. :confused: You can't build sustainable trails with the soil they have up there and they had people working on the trail in between runs! Never seen this in the previous years. Nothing more you can do IMO.
And it is a DH course after all. Braking bumps are part of the fun. Better than just a singletrail with switchbacks like Spring Thaw. If you can win on a 5" travel bike it is not a real DH race. ;)

·
Banned
533 Posts
Willamette Pass is still hosting DH races in 2009
Problem is we are always waiting on Hood to pick dates
WP plans on at least 3 DH races
I have suggested they host at least 1 Super D
As the ex promoter I can tell you that the Super D numbers were VERY low over the 3 years I tried to have them...most we ever had was 42 riders...most races had 12-20 racers.
It is a fun course.
If you want a Super D I suggest you contact Randy Rogers
[email protected]
Give him a little time to reply as they are trying to get open for the winter

Take Care
Randy Dreiling

·
a tight kick sound
1,812 Posts
Randy,
WP should partner with Fluidride(Hood and Port Angels) series this year for the all inclusive PNW racing scene! Then you would know right off the bat what the dates should be. Grass roots racing at its finest and adverts in Decline mag baby! Plus more races in a series = better chances for folks to get better, more folks to move up and out into the World cup. Three races/year (WP) is not going to create the next batch of US DHers :)

All I can say about not liking the course...get out and help build it better.

·
Banned
533 Posts
That sounds like a good idea.
I have asked Washington racers why more don't come to WP, most say Hood is as far as they are willing to travel.
It would be great if someone from the series contacted Randy at WP
I am not the promoter anymore...I just help out with the sponsorships, OBRA and other stuff.

As for the courses...that is hard dirt to deal with up there!

·
227 Posts
The dirt is difficult I agree! Point taken

Keep in mind though you are talking to someone that drives down from Portland every year to enjoy and support Willamette Pass.

Yeah, they were working on the expert course not the sport course :)

·
227 Posts
Running it on a 6" single crown bike is pretty brutal as well :) It was hotter than He77 at the last race!

My two cents, I would love to see a Super D at WP, but I hope they ditch the running start gig.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
We got the OBRA calendar last week in the mail and the Mt. Ashland super-D is listed for June 14. :thumbsup:

As far as traveling goes, I remember feeling pretty strapped this summer at $4.67 a gallon. :madmax:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Randy23 said:
Willamette Pass is still hosting DH races in 2009
Problem is we are always waiting on Hood to pick dates
WP plans on at least 3 DH races
I have suggested they host at least 1 Super D
As the ex promoter I can tell you that the Super D numbers were VERY low over the 3 years I tried to have them...most we ever had was 42 riders...most races had 12-20 racers.
It is a fun course.
If you want a Super D I suggest you contact Randy Rogers
[email protected]
Give him a little time to reply as they are trying to get open for the winter

Take Care
Randy Dreiling
I think more racers would show up for the Super D if it were timed instead of mass start. The Capitol Forest super d races had between 125 and 150 racers at all of there events and they were timed. Course quality is also an issue. If it caters heavily to the xc racing crowd the numbers might always be low.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
capslayer said:
I think more racers would show up for the Super D if it were timed instead of mass start. The Capitol Forest super d races had between 125 and 150 racers at all of there events and they were timed. Course quality is also an issue. If it caters heavily to the xc racing crowd the numbers might always be low.
WP Super Ds were favouring the XC crowd for sure. The downhill parts were not rough enough to give a big bike an advantage and on the two long climbs you just got slaughtered if you rode anything heavier than 26 #s. :madman:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.