Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive got a Oregon Scientific ATC 2K bullet cam mainly to record some calls this fire season (just for the hell of it) and it also came with a handy bar mount.

Any one else have one and taken it on rides..?

Pic time, i also have a cheap Bell LED lamp mounted next to it.

Here's what it came with, usb/rca cords, helmet strap, bar clamp, and a bunch of other attachments.

:thumbsup:

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
I shot some vids using the helmet mount.
It was very blurry and noisy, but got better when I used zip ties to prevent any movement in the mount.
Better to spend a little more and get GoPro or whatever else.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got one, and have shot several rides with it. I found that...

- As with any camera, the footage will be a LOT smoother if you mount it on your helmet and not on your bike.
- It desperately needs a wide-angle lens. I taped one on over its existing lens, and the picture is WAY better (It shows more, plus it's smoother).
- When the camera is jarred, the picture will wobble, kind of like you're watching a movie projected on a sheet blowing in the wind.
- There's no way of lining up the shot or reviewing footage, as the camera has no viewfinder (Although the new version, the ATC5K, has an LCD screen).
- I upgraded to a Flip Video Ultra, with my own home-made chest mount and the same added-on wide angle lens. The wide-angle version of the GoPro Hero would also be a good choice.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Strafer said:
Have you used it yet?
And was this available in store? I found it on their web site but would like to see it first.
I haven't used it on the bike yet, but the videos that I have shot around the house look decent. It certainly isn't HD quality, but I didn't expect it to be. The waterproof housing also works well. I took that out to my hot tub with good results. As I am typing this I am waiting for my friend to arrive at my house so we can go try it out.

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,938 Posts
Don't bother.
I have one and hate just about everything about it.
The picture color is washed out, it can't compensate for any little light, and no matter how you mount it, it is so chattery (real word, right?) you get motion sickness from watching it on the screen.
I think the most amusing part is the camera is not shock proof. It even says so in the 3 page manual that comes with it. Every time you hit any sizable bump, the whole image jumps.
I got mine as a gift so I was happy that is was not my money. Still, I am not happy with the quality of the image. Even if you used it as a handheld camcorder (I don't know why you would) the picture is beyond sad. It makes poor quality You-tube videos without having to upload the videos to get the poor playback You-tube is famous for.
Cheap is just that. There are a few other options that are about twice as much but from what I have seen are miles ahead of the ATC 2K. I think of it kind of like any item that you see for sale that has "AS SEEN ON T.V!!!" printed on the box. Overhyped, overpriced, and guaranteed to under deliver.
Whatever you decide, good luck. The camera is just the start. You still need editing software and a whole lot of time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have yet to use it on my bike, but it has been strapped to various cars in different areas and it seemed to work well..

And for the poster that said it came with a watter proof housing, thats standard, they alll are watter proof up to 10ft.

I dont plan on making the next big MTBR flick with it, just some vids of me and my buddys having a good time to show the GF and who ever else.

Im mainly excited about filming some calls i go on this summer. ;)

I am finding out that this is the hardest forum to please, every one hates dam near everything....!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Meh after a short ride with the handlebar mount, its deff not the best. Next ride i will try a helmet mount and well see.

Still i doubt if there is much better out there that can be submerged up to 10ft and still be under $100.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.