Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Nicely done folks! Finally someone enjoying "fat bike heaven" besides me. Skipped it this year, hope to get back down there in 2012. Thanks for sharing!! We (my wife & I) camped at the Umpqua State Park and I rode day long loops in the dunes south of where you guys were. I had troubles w/ the ORV areas too! Had to let the pressure WAY down to negotiate those tracks, without a "Fatpacking" load. Hope they continue to let FB's ride in the Non-Motorized areas. I only crossed paths with a few of people outside of the ORV area, One hiker was pretty rude to me for being out there on a bike. The rest loved it and wanted info about them. Could run into some opposition if it gets real popular, out in the open dunes anyway. I did ask the local Ranger's about it, they said "If there gets to be 100's of you we might have to take a look at it". If they decide to regulate bicycles, would be nice to get folks together to have some input, maybe even try to make some of they're public meetings. For now, the FBing OP's are seemingly endless down there!!

Thanks again for sharing!

NW Fat Bike Meet at Ocean Shores Oct. 29th... Info on a thread on here.

-W

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I live right on the Oregon Dunes. I need to get a fat bike and get out there! The wife still hasn't come to terms with last winter's build, so I've got some fat bike pressure to put on her. Thanks for the pics for inspiration. I'll be showing the pics to the wife.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
glad you guys liked it. here is the route: Oregon Dunes North - FATBIKING trip | EveryTrail

thanks for the tip on the meetup, Ward. I don't think i can make this one as I am going hunting the following weekend and my family tends to get pissed when i am out of town every weekend, for some reason! please do let me know about next time.

Also, you might be the perfect person to ask: where is the best snow riding within 150mi from Portland?? I need to get some snow riding and hopefully some snow-bikepacking in this winter!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Great write-up Alijee!

I live in the Eugene area, no FB yet. There are many points of entrance onto the nothern interior dunes.
If you have a 4X4 just about any spur off a main road should take you there. Air your tires down a little if you like, go slow, and you will be fine if you refrain from spinning your wheels. My two sons used to ride their Honda DBs on the dunes, trailered them out with a Durango, in 2wd if I remember correctly. Oh yeah, don't forget the permit.

One word of caution, it is easy to loose your perspective of your put-in point if you fail to take propper note upon arrival, and remain aware of your surroundings as you ride about.

If you can manage a stay at Honeyman Park (not a bad place, by the way) there are trails onto the dunes right out of the campgrounds.

Great to hear that the Dunes are becoming more in use by fat bikers, BSV, Ward and now yourself. If my ship ever comes in, and a few more are discovered, we could give Scotland a run for their money.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
glad you guys liked it. here is the route: Oregon Dunes North - FATBIKING trip | EveryTrail

thanks for the tip on the meetup, Ward. I don't think i can make this one as I am going hunting the following weekend and my family tends to get pissed when i am out of town every weekend, for some reason! please do let me know about next time.

Also, you might be the perfect person to ask: where is the best snow riding within 150mi from Portland?? I need to get some snow riding and hopefully some snow-bikepacking in this winter!
Right on Aljee, we'll give you the full report! About half the folks going are from your area. Winter wise, We ride at White Pass quite a bit. They let us on they're Nordic Center trails (14k) after 3:30pm (they re-groom every morning). Convieniant for us because it's only 50 miles away and my family & I ski up there allot. As far as more adventurous day and/or multi day rides, I've got some routes picked out on the east slope of the Cascades starting right on the edge of town (Yakima). Plenty of cold periods, snowmobile packed roads & routes, and alot more "cold sunshine" than on the west side. Last winter, we had some good snow riding in the desert all around us. Some pretty long "slick ice" periods too. Requires some "home-spun" studded tires to fully enjoy... and sometimes even to ride at all.

Been thinking about an OR Dunes Fatpacking trip for quite some time. Haven't had any interested partners yet for that one. More folks coming around to the pure fun that's going on here now. Maybe next year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.