Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trip computer has been displaying some odd values over my last 2 rides. #1- 7028 miles w/ 2830mph average #2- 6042miles w/ 4218mph average.

I've got 7 data fields displayed and only those 2 are messed up. Reset all values and then start the stop watch, to get HR values, then change the screen back to trip computer when heading out. Works fine of the first couple of minutes then I pay more attention to the trail and forget. Can't pinpoint when it happens as I just glance down every so often for the large HR field and even less often to see Odo. Current MPH is always accurate when I look. Once I noticed it I checked the satellites and it had a very good signal with several locked and 30ft accuracy. I've got the track record interval set to Time and every 2 sec.

When I upload the gpx to the computer everything appears as it should via Garmin and Strava. Trace shows me on the trail with no weird jogs way off in space.

Ride #1 was through the suburbs to the trail, an out-back. Ridden this 5-10 times w/o issue. Ride #2 was just trail (different than #1) where there is a small power line crossing that can influence some displayed HR spikes. Ridden this 40+ times.

Only thing different than in the past is I started to use NiMH rechargeable batteries right before Ride #1. After typing this I realize I never changed the battery type in the system control panel to NiMH from Alkaline.

I've not done an update since I first set it up years ago and my usage process has always been the same. Could it really be the battery type?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ride #3 update:
I changed the battery settings, turned the unit off, left the batteries out overnight, went outside put them back in, got 7 satellites locked and then calibrated the compass. Ride originated in the same place but followed yet another route. Displayed information remained correct from beginning to end of ride.

When I went to upload the file to garmin and strava the file was corrupt. Combing through the code there were several instances where the date from the heading was inserted to where the time stamp date/time should have been. (they follow slightly different formats). Also several instances where the date was inserted where the HR value should be. One instance where the date was where the Lat should be.

Fixing these 10+ issues in an 1:45hr, 15mi ride I was able to salvage the data. The tracks appear correct and max/averages are good. The graphs of speed/elevation/HR in Garmin all have incorrect time matching plateaus which must be problems either with my fixes or the raw code to begin with.

Hopefully this is all a fluke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ride #4 update:
Did not play with any settings since #3. Rode yet another trail with my daughter and no HR strap. Display was fine and upload went fine. Hopefully everything is back to normal.
 

·
since 4/10/2009
Joined
·
35,273 Posts
do the firmware update. could be a bug that's since been addressed. I was also wondering about interference. powerlines def can interfere with a HRM transmission or wireless sensors. possibly since the ANT+ was enabled, the powerlines cause some issues for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd rather not do a firmware update. I always get burned with updates creating more problems than they've fixed. I've had the unit 4 years and recorded hundreds of rides without issue. It's just had problems with the first 3 since battery type change to NiMH. Have used LI and Alk in the past with no problems. Though i really doubt that is the issue.

I mentioned when where power lines cause interference with the HRM, and I've come to expect it. Ride #2 crossed the power cut (display was F-ed, .gpx was fine). Ride #3 followed a different section of the same line for almost a mile (display was fine, .gpx was F-ed).

My issues were with mileage and speed though. Since I don't have and the 450 doesn't support a wheel sensor I'm assuming that there was an issue with processing the satellite signal in the unit but yet it was able to record the raw data. Then it flip flopped processing the data but not recording correctly. (understand that a firmware update might fix, but it hasn't been an issue previously)
Maybe I should blame all the satellites that have been "sent" to help search for flight 370. ;)
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top