Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY guys finally ordred my goblin looking for a set of pedals I guess a flat platform I really only do street riding and basic trails and I weigh 220 so looking for something durable and reliable andpreferably green :) was told to look at the xpedo faceoff amd xpoo1. Any ideas thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Have tried xpedo pedals they are very grippy and light. Wellgo MG-1 are also a great choice. If you are looking for something on the inexpensive but durable side, I've been running DMR bikes V8 pedals for almost a year now and they are great too.

·
Registered
460 Posts
For platforms that's a great choice. You'll be plenty happy with them. Have fun with that bike :) .

·
Registered
302 Posts
I went with MG-1s too. I got them in green which is a close match to the Goblin green. It gets pretty beat-on down there so they don't look great for long. But they're holding up pretty well. I understand that the platform doesn't take rock strikes well. But if you do break one, you can still ride the spindle back to your car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for replying guys I think Im aiming for a platform pedal and think Im gonna pull the trigger on the deity decoy or the spank pedals

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Came home to nice surprise in the mail :)

Assembled the Goblin today beautiful bike I must say went will the wellgo pedals and a pair of 5.10 freeriders sneakers. Got it all setup and realized I didn't have the right valve to inflate tires lol noob here. Guess ill bring it to the bike shop and have him look over bike. Seemed like a very slight brake rub which I could hear a little when tires was spinning but didn't seem to slow tire down from spinning much. Any other tips on what should be done before I ride with this bike? Everything seemed tight and seemed to shift well testing it flipped over. Does it require a tuneup from the bike shop or should I try riding first. How much should I look to pay for a look over and tune if necessary thanks for the help in advance Im a noob. Again thanks for all the help :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
My suggestion FWIW is that, unless there is something clearly wrong, ride it for awhile first. My Goblin, as with many bikes, went out of tune several times within the first few months of riding. The typical explanation for this that I've gotten from bike shops is that the cable housings compress with initial use. I suspect that the cable ends aren't fully compressed onto the housings and that the ends aren't seated fully into their frame/derailleur locations.

Whatever the cause, new bikes go out of tune a lot. So there is reason to ride it for a little while first until the tune settles down. Once you've done this, take it in for a tune and minor lube. Here in my area of northern MN, $50 for this is pretty normal.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I ordered the Wellgo MG1's for my seeker. But I ordered the all black ones with the black spindles but go the black with chrome spindles. I'm super picky and don't know if I want the ones I got. Wanna order the all black ones.

·
Registered
98 Posts
And I wanted the Goblin too. But only if I could of got it with the silver frame but that frame is only sold separate. Wouldn't know what everything would add up to if I purchased the silver Goblin frame and everything else separate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been riding flats for a long time and just picked up a pair of crank brothers candy 1s. For only $40 I figured I'd give going clipless a try, so far a nice upgrade

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those wellgo pedals didn't work out so good heard a clicking when I was pedaling sometimes and did some reading and examined pedals. Right pedal was not spinning corerectly and I was able to pull the pedal right off the axle anyone have this happen before I only did basic riding and weigh 220lbs with gear not sure what happened here

·
Registered
232 Posts
Fellas,

Well, I picked up a pair of Crank Brothers 5050 2 pedals at REI for $80. They look like decent pedals and I'm sure they'll work just fine but they're HUGE. I used to use Shimano SPD pedals. I liked them but after more than a few bail-out situations on the country roads around here and just getting a cast off my right foot, after having it on for six months (unrelated to cycling), I am hesitant to use SPD pedals right now.

So, I want a good platform pedal that is less conspicuous than the Crank Brothers 5050 2. I could care less about the thickness but would like something smaller - in surface presence, preferably something metal (6061) with great bearings and strength.

Any suggestions? Besides the pedals suggested above, are any of you Airborne devotees using platform pedals, that you love, on the rigs that you love?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The green spank spikes are awesome little pricey at 129.00 but they seem strong and reliable and look preety awesome just dont slip off the pedal get yourself some 5.10 shoes there like glue with the spank spikes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts