Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called and ordered from Tyler and John. They gave me a realistic time of 8 - 12 weeks which is good for me as I have a complete bike I need to sell to make room for the new Duke.
Orderded a large with disc only set up for hydraulics and 100mm fork.
Will update when it arrives.
Cheers

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I am stoked

I will be swapping over all parts from my Ti hardtail which include full XTR Dual Control with hydraulic discs, Fox F100RL, CK headset, Thompson seatpost and Koobi saddle. The Duke should weigh about a quarter to a half a pound more than my hardtail. Weight should be around 22.5 - 23 as my current setup is 22.
I will update with pics after it arrives.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I raced on a Duke 4 seasons. As far as softails go, you'd be hard pressed to do better at that price. It's a way better bike than the YBB and offers "Right Now" acceleration.
It's a very good bike, the only reason I got rid of it was to move up the the ACE.

The guys at Dean couldn't be nicer but their CS is about as poor as it gets. If they quoted 8-12 weeks, you'll be doing well if you get it in 16 weeks, probably more. I ordered my ACE just after Thanksgiving and got it just in time for the first race of the season in April.

Try not to think about it too often (yeah right). I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.

Best,
Mark

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ready to ship!

Got the call today, the frame is ready to ship. Way less than the estimated time of 8 - 12 weeks. Now I just have to gather the cash and pay up. Should have it next week sometime I hope. Will post when it arrives....:thumbsup:
dlbennett said:
I will be swapping over all parts from my Ti hardtail which include full XTR Dual Control with hydraulic discs, Fox F100RL, CK headset, Thompson seatpost and Koobi saddle. The Duke should weigh about a quarter to a half a pound more than my hardtail. Weight should be around 22.5 - 23 as my current setup is 22.
I will update with pics after it arrives.

·
Something goes here...
2,070 Posts
dlbennett said:
Called and ordered from Tyler and John. They gave me a realistic time of 8 - 12 weeks which is good for me as I have a complete bike I need to sell to make room for the new Duke.
Orderded a large with disc only set up for hydraulics and 100mm fork.
Will update when it arrives.
Cheers
Hey DLB...where're the pics?! I'm sure you're loving the ride. I wouldn't trade my Ace for anything. :thumbsup:

·
Known Mountainbiker
873 Posts
Waiting.........

I ordered a Colonel SS back in the summer.
I'm waiting for delivery.
I'm waiting for a return phone call.
I'm waiting for a return email.

Waiting........

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
cazloco said:
I ordered a Colonel SS back in the summer.
I'm waiting for delivery.
I'm waiting for a return phone call.
I'm waiting for a return email.

Waiting........
Any word yet?? I've heard alot of good things about Dean bikes, but their Customer Service seems to be another story. I've heard some folks say they are impossible to get ahold of, and they sometimes take a long time to finish a frame.

Hopefully, yours will be here for yer birthday.:)

·
Known Mountainbiker
873 Posts
Still Waiting

Thanks for asking........no.

Well, today is my birthday and no it's not here. (insert sad face here)

I did get an email that said they're working on it. I filed that with the message that said they were working on it back in early September. (insert sarcastic face here)

All that I have to say is this frame better be the best damn thing since the titanium camp spork, because, as everyone knows and I'm sure Dean does as well, their customer service has much room for improvement. (insert a face that looks like I'm telling it like it is).

I'm not going to be one of those people who call up angry and cancel my order because that would just mean that somebody else would get their frame a little earlier. What I want is for everyone else to call and cancel their orders. (insert a face that looks like I'm giving those people a great idea and elbowing as to give them a nudge).

I'm sure that as soon as it gets here, I'll be the happiest person in the entire world. (insert a face that looks like I'm kissing ass because I don't want Dean to read this and make me wait even longer)

Caz

·
Registered
938 Posts
cazloco said:
I'm sure that as soon as it gets here, I'll be the happiest person in the entire world. (insert a face that looks like I'm kissing ass because I don't want Dean to read this and make me wait even longer)
Caz
Don't worry, you will, and you'll soon forget about how long it took to make. You get what you paid for, and in the case of Dean, you generally miss out on the CS but you do get a high quality frame. Seriously, I look at my colonel (after owning it 4+ years) and am just amazed at the quality for a $1150 custom ti frame. I never get tired of looking at it. I've never ridden a moots, but I've seen plenty, and to my eye the quality is the same. I'm sure that moots fanatics (or seven or IF fanatics) would have a cow, and say that the dean frames don't have any "soul," or something like that. Personally, I don't believe in magic. I believe in what my eyes see and my butt feels (that may not sound so good :yikes:). The colonel rocks, dude, so just be patient a little longer. And then a couple weeks more. ;)

·
Known Mountainbiker
873 Posts
Fat Elvis said:
... just be patient a little longer. And then a couple weeks more. ;)
LOL. Thanks for making me laugh.

This should be on Dean's "press 2 for product status" answering machine routing instead of the "leave your name and number and we'll call you back".

Caz

·
Known Mountainbiker
873 Posts
Still whining.....er...waiting.....

Can't say I'm suprised. Even though John told me that Tyler had pretty much completed the frame and they'd be ready to ship it at the end of this week........................no email or phone call. It's become kind of humorous in an insane sort of way.

Caz

·
Something goes here...
2,070 Posts
Fat Elvis said:
Don't worry, you will, and you'll soon forget about how long it took to make. You get what you paid for, and in the case of Dean, you generally miss out on the CS but you do get a high quality frame. Seriously, I look at my colonel (after owning it 4+ years) and am just amazed at the quality for a $1150 custom ti frame. I never get tired of looking at it. I've never ridden a moots, but I've seen plenty, and to my eye the quality is the same. I'm sure that moots fanatics (or seven or IF fanatics) would have a cow, and say that the dean frames don't have any "soul," or something like that. Personally, I don't believe in magic. I believe in what my eyes see and my butt feels (that may not sound so good :yikes:). The colonel rocks, dude, so just be patient a little longer. And then a couple weeks more. ;)
I agree with Fat Elvis. I've had my Ace for about 8 months (give or take) and I still get a thrill riding it. I'm excited everytime I see it. It's the best ridign bike I've ever owned...and I've owned a lot of high quality bikes (e-gads!). After you're first ride, you'll be happy you waiting patiently for it.

I was lucky b/c john told me 6-8 weeks and it arrived at my door step 8 weeks and 1 day later. So it shipped on time. I think I'm one of the lucky few however.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
cazloco said:
Can't say I'm suprised. Even though John told me that Tyler had pretty much completed the frame and they'd be ready to ship it at the end of this week........................no email or phone call. It's become kind of humorous in an insane sort of way.

Caz
Any news on the frame yet? Shipping should not take this long. Me thinks you were fed a plate of bull#%&@!!!

·
Known Mountainbiker
873 Posts
Still Waiting

Sasquatch said:
Any news on the frame yet? Shipping should not take this long. Me thinks you were fed a plate of bull#%&@!!!
They told me (again) that the frame would be shipped yesterday or today.

If you believe this then you are just as big of a sucker as I would be if I believed it. I don't believe it. I want to believe it but I have no faith or reason. For 2 grand I could of taken the bike building school down in Ashland and built one myself. "Oh, then why don't you do that?" they'd say and I'd say that I'm too busy building other stuff for my customers that have promised dates. Deadlines. Timelines. Schedules. I'd be p***ing off a lot of customers if I took two weeks off. I'd probably lose customers if I did that not to mention the customers that I do have would most likely give me bad references if any at all. Heck, they'd probably take all the decals off my product so I wouldn't even get the free advertising. Know what I mean?

caz

·
Known Mountainbiker
873 Posts
Done waiting.

Patients- schmatients, I've been told by John four different times that the frame would be completed and shipped. I don't give a flying crap tossing monkey's ass how happy I'll be whenever it arrives, a deadline's a deadline and the folks at Dean are just a day away from passing it. Once it has passed, then I don't have a problem with waiting all winter. Dean isn't the only Ti frame builder in this country and come Monday, I may be on the phone ordering from one of the others.

Thanks for listening

caz

·
Registered
225 Posts
As the owner of two Deans, a roadbike and a Colonel 29r I think you're doing the right thing. I'm very happy with the quality of my bikes, especially for the price. But I made it abundantly clear up front that I knew they had a bad reputation for delivery, but also a really good reputation for building quality bikes. I also gave them a date for delivery and asked if they could meet it, and they agreed they could. So I told them that if I didn't have the frame by that date to automatically assume my order cancelled. I love getting nice stuff for great prices, but there comes a time when a little more money is worth the peace of mind. If you're really going to go to another builder check out Quiring, Strong, and Kish. They all do great Ti work. My next bike is more than likely going to be from one of those 3.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.