Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to order an Occam delivered to the US. My question is when ordering through Orbea's site and paying online, is the charge an international charge or is the CC processed in the US?

The reason I ask is the CC I would like to use gives cash back but charges for international purchases. I have a different card that does not charge for international purchases but I would rather not use that one.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI. Ordering in the US is charged through the US. No foreign transaction fee.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a follow up on ordering in the US. In California different zip codes have different tax rates.

When choosing a shop to have my bike delivered to (mandatory in the US) I had the choice of five or six shops relatively close.
The closest was a couple miles away but it’s mainly a road shop. That doesn’t bother me because I’ll be going over the bike myself.
But then I thought I might as well have it delivered to a MTB focused shop. That shop is a good 1/2 hour drive.
When I added that shop to as the delivery destination my order price dropped by over $100. It was the sales tax. In my area the sales tax is 9.5% but the delivery MTB focused shop is 7.75%.
That’s worth the drive.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cali is crazy with taxes. The community a few miles south of me (where my Costco is) is at 10.25%.
Too late now but I wonder if I could have had it delivered out of state (Nevada no sales tax) and just have the shop ship it to me as soon as they get it. Sure would be a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Are there any pros/cons with ordering directly from a shop?

I’ll be ordering an Oiz and deciding between online or through a LBS. First time with the LBS, and while they have good reviews, I really don’t have any affinity with them. None yet, at least.

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are there any pros/cons with ordering directly from a shop?

I’ll be ordering an Oiz and deciding between online or through a LBS. First time with the LBS, and while they have good reviews, I really don’t have any affinity with them. None yet, at least.

Thanks!
When I spoke to my LBS Orbea dealer I asked them if I could order through them and they said "no, order through Orbea's site", so you probably want to check with yours. I'm assuming they get a fee from Orbea for preparing the bike?

·
Class Clown
2,954 Posts
Didn't seem like it made a difference to the shop, unless they are trying to sell something in stock maybe. I think it's better to go through the website yourself.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I was told by Papa Wheelies that it makes no difference to them, financially, if it's ordered online or through them. They offered to order it for me, but seems they preferred me to do it online, easier that way. Only difference to me, financially, was I had to give Orbea the whole $7k+ right upfront, vs. downpayment with Papa Wheelie's and balance on delivery. Which normally wouldn't be too annoying, but with an estimated delivery date of June now, I'm keeping my eye on local inventory of other similar bikes.

·
Class Clown
2,954 Posts
June? Holy moly! It does seem strange to take the cash and then have you wait so long, a deposit would have been reasonable.

·
Registered
208 Posts
June? Holy moly! It does seem strange to take the cash and then have you wait so long, a deposit would have been reasonable.
Yeah. That’s the only thing holding me back now. However, none of the shops in/around my State are getting anything till Dec-Jan.

Oh...the ship dates on the Orbea site have improved, for some Occam models, it’s now Dec-Jan. For Oiz, upgraded to March from June.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I emailed Orbea yesterday about the accuracy of the ship date. They got back to me in a couple minutes, literally. It was impressive.

The rep said that as of now, based on # of bikes on order and availability of parts/suppliers, June is accurate, but that is subject to change should things improve.

I was considering cancelling the order and going with an Ibis Ripmo AF, as I could get those in March from a shop that is also more convenient to me. And also save about $700. In the end I decided to wait it out for the Occams. I think they are going to be a much better bike for my wife and me compared to the more enduro-leaning Ripmo AF.

·
Class Clown
2,954 Posts
I considered a Ripmo but it's probably a bit more bike than I want. At first I thought the travel on the Occam might be a bit much but it didn't feel that way at all, it's the perfect long travel without going full enduro. Anyways hopefully production ramps up!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts