Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
antiherohio said:
Going on my honeymoon to Orcas Island. Any good riding there? Or any of the surrounding islands?

Seth
There happens to be some great riding in Moran St. Park. BUT, most of it is closed to bikes till the fall. Go to the bbtc trail wiki for Mt. Constitution and find a map there. Don't take it personal, please don't poach, we could lose this in a heartbeat. I don't know of any trails on the other islands. It's unfortunate (for riding sake) that you are going there in the middle of the summer. At least that's my assumption, you didn't say when you're going.

Monte

·
Justin Vander Pol
1,742 Posts
I put a pretty good map up on the Trail Guide that Monte linked to for you. There's enough trail open year-round for a decent ride, but the mind-blowing view trails are only open to bikes in the winter.

I've ridden a few miles of trails on the other islands, but Orcas has by far the best riding.

Justin

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
antiherohio said:
Maybe I can talk her into rescheduling the wedding from next month too next winter then....
Haha sounds like you got your priorities straight.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Can someone fill me in on why the trails are closed to bikes during the summer? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

I'm headed out that way next week (on island Jul 10-13) and was thinking of bringing the bike. However, it may not be worth it. Maybe I'll drag the roadie out instead...

edit:

hmm, looking at the map, I think maybe the trails that are open year round would be sufficient for this midwesterner. Can someone give me a decent loop to ride? I can't tell from the map, but it looks like some of the trails are on roads or next to roads. I'll probably be coming from Olga, and was thinking of riding up Heritage Hill Rd to get to the park. It looks like (at least according to Google Earth) there is a road that runs almost all the way to Twin Lakes. Is this paved, or gravel, or no road at all? Like I said, I'm debating whether to bring the Blur or the old Trek roadie with me. I'll probably only have 3-4 hrs to ride while we're on island, so give me your best loop...

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
dnlwthrn said:
Can someone fill me in on why the trails are closed to bikes during the summer? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

I'm headed out that way next week (on island Jul 10-13) and was thinking of bringing the bike. However, it may not be worth it. Maybe I'll drag the roadie out instead...

edit:

hmm, looking at the map, I think maybe the trails that are open year round would be sufficient for this midwesterner. Can someone give me a decent loop to ride? I can't tell from the map, but it looks like some of the trails are on roads or next to roads. I'll probably be coming from Olga, and was thinking of riding up Heritage Hill Rd to get to the park. It looks like (at least according to Google Earth) there is a road that runs almost all the way to Twin Lakes. Is this paved, or gravel, or no road at all? Like I said, I'm debating whether to bring the Blur or the old Trek roadie with me. I'll probably only have 3-4 hrs to ride while we're on island, so give me your best loop...
I don't think there's a real good loop to ride on the red trails (open to bikes all year). For 3-4 hours you could ride them all, ride up the road to the top of the mountain and bomb down. That's all the time you'll have during the 4 days you'll be there? If you had more you could also island hop with the roadie and circle some of the other islands.

Trail closures during the summer? Probably because it gets really popular with people hiking the trails. There would be some problems at times with bikes running down the trails and all the people out on the trails.

Monte

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Yeah, we're going out for a wedding (on the 13th). So it'll be family stuff and meeting others and socializing (not to mention spending time with my 3 kids) for most of the trip. I've set aside Friday AM to ride at this point. Now I have to decide if its worth it to haul a bike out or not.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
dnlwthrn said:
It was a compromise, they were going to close the trails to bikes altogether.

BBTC and mountain bikers now actively work doing trail work there to continue good relations.

Here's some pics of a work party we have a few months back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157605032704611/

The more active mountain bikers are in advocacy the better situations we'll have.

There are alot of things concerning access to mountain bikes that don't make sense really, that's why we need to support advocacy groups like BBTC, WHIMPS, FTTRC, and IMBA.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
So I was all set on renting a road bike, and then found that they had just chip-sealed most of the main roads (i.e. Horseshoe Hwy). The bikeshop was discouraging people from riding on the fresh surface due to uncertain traction (and the problem of tar getting on the bikes), so I ended up renting a FS bike instead. The downside was that I didn't bring my shoes or pedals, so I rode with flats and running shoes.

The trails were GREAT! It was totally worth it to ride, in spite of the limited trails. I'd love to come back in the fall or winter and ride the rest. As it was I rode for about 3 hrs, including climbing Mt. Constitution on the road. For this flatlander, that was a feat! I'm happy to say I made it to the top, and was happy for the disc brakes on the way back down...

As for rentals, Wildlife Cycles has a few bikes, but I'd recommend calling them first to find out what sizes they have. I got lucky, as they had a large Kona Dawgma that I was able to take, but it was the only Lg FS bike. They also had a couple of medium bikes and an XL Dawg Deelux available. So it really depends on what you're looking for and what's there. I missed my Blur... Also, its $45/day to rent, so if you're riding for more than one day its probably cheaper/better to bring your own ride.

I've got a couple of pics, but they're pretty bad as I took them with my phone (no way to carry the real camera). I'll try to upload them when I get back (I'm still in Eastsound).

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Glad you had a good time. Orcas is just one of the many gems that we have at our disposal and in a sick and twisted sort of way, it's nice not to think about riding there in the summer when other places are melting out and getting ready to ride. Stop in the Anacortes Community Forest Lands on your way out of Anacortes when you get off the ferry. (It's real close.) Just to walk in anywhere and see what else is available. You can get a map and drive real close to the Whistle Lake part and walk the loop around the lake for a short hike.

Thanks forthe info on Wildlife Bikes. It would be good to have that feedback on the BBTC trail wiki for Orcas for those who will come out there in the future.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The big thing to mention about Wildlife is that most of their business comes from renting hybrids to people who want to cruise around the island. They just don't have that many people wanting to rent high-end bikes, or wanting to ride singletrack (from my conversations with a couple of the guys in the shop). That said, they go out of their way to help. When I picked up my bike they were trying to fix a bad headset on a Dahon folding bike. Even though they don't carry the brand or have any parts for them, they went out of their way to get this bike back on the road for the customer...

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
ICE said:
Another alternative is to bring your night riding light and you know...
Why do you follow up a post about a work party with your post suggesting to poach?

Just curious.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.