Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting to fellow Rallon v5 owners.

I'm beyond happy with my Yeti SB5.5 as the bike is amazing and a really great all around 29" steed but I was looking for a one bike solution to add to my quiver as I spend half the year living in Manizales, Colombia and the new Rallon is the bike I chose.

I just ordered the 2018 M10 build from Jenson and paid $4,750 plus another $290 coming cash back from active junky as it was at only 6%

Size Large Red/Black with Dpx2 shock

The changes I'll be making immediately as I have all these parts on my workbench.

2018 Fox Factory RC2 160mm Fork and I'll sell the 2018 Performance Fork.

Fox Transfer 150mm dropper or RF Turbine 170mm. I've had bad luck with the turbine in the past but if I use my Transfer I'll shim it as it's 30.9

Renthal Carbon Fatbar 780mm 31.8

Renthal Apex 40mm stem 31.8

Ergon GD1 DH grips "Red" these grips are unbelievable !!!

RF Next SL 170mm Cranks and AB 32 Oval

Oneup Chain/Bash guard

Easton ARC 30 Wheels with DT 350 hubs 54t upgrade. I'll need to use lindarets boostinator as they are 100/142 hubs. I also have a spare carbon wheel set but I'm not dealing with the issue of not riding if I destroy a wheel in South America.

Ergon SME 3 Carbon Saddle

Mucky Nutz mudguard

Keeping GX Eagle Drivetrain, XT Brakes and Minion DHF / Aggressor on the bike as is and the rest of the parts will be sold off.

I should be at 28.5 pounds with pedals.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I'd put the DHX2 on it for simplicity (less seals, no air pressure checks) and throw the push ACS in that 36. I'd definitely go with the longer dropper since the seat tube is so low. Unless all the reviews are BS (maybe) it should still be under 30lb. Otherwise it sounds sick!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd put the DHX2 on it for simplicity (less seals, no air pressure checks) and throw the push ACS in that 36. I'd definitely go with the longer dropper since the seat tube is so low. Unless all the reviews are BS (maybe) it should still be under 30lb. Otherwise it sounds sick!
I'll definitely order the DHX2 once I put some ride time on the DPX2 to get an idea of how that shock performs. I like the idea of having the lighter air shock when the terrain permits and then the Coil when the trails get longer and rougher. The ACS will first get tested on my SB5.5 and depending on how I like it maybe one for the Rallon.

I need to see what the other options are for a 170mm dropper besides RF/9point8 and the Reverb.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does that mean that Fox is going to be selling the 36 with a 44 offset?
I ordered the 2018 RC2....I think it's 51 offset. I didn't see any other option but regardless I'll be using it.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bike is here and built up. I installed my Renthal 780mm bars, 40mm Apex stem, CB Mallet E's and Ergon GD1 grips. I also put my Ergon SME-3 Carbon saddle on.

Tomorrow I'll install the Reverb 170mm dropper, RF Next cranks and my Easton ARC 30 wheels and convert the wheels to tubeless.
image1.jpg image2.jpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Looks awesome, are you still planning on changing the fork out? Curious to see how the bigger offset changes the bike. I've heard a few people say they've tried both and like the 51 better.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks awesome, are you still planning on changing the fork out? Curious to see how the bigger offset changes the bike. I've heard a few people say they've tried both and like the 51 better.
I plan on Getting the Avalanche open bath cartridge installed on the Performance 36 and staying with the 44 offset. Orbea did tell me I could get a 44 offset 2018 factory 36 from them but the Avy tune will be better and cheaper in the end.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I plan on Getting the Avalanche open bath cartridge installed on the Performance 36 and staying with the 44 offset. Orbea did tell me I could get a 44 offset 2018 factory 36 from them but the Avy tune will be better and cheaper in the end.
any particular reason why avalanche instead of push? I get that the open bath is easy to service, maybe that's the reason for a comparable final product

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
any particular reason why avalanche instead of push? I get that the open bath is easy to service, maybe that's the reason for a comparable final product
I want a complete new Damper with full adjustment and that's what the Avy Damper will do. The fork on this bike is the Grip damper so adjustment is limited. I could conversley buy a drop in RC2 Damper and then add the PUSH ACS-3 Coil but that's $250 more than the Avy.

I already have the Push Coil conversion for my SB5.5

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks awesome and good call with Avalanche. Have you taken it for a ride yet? If so, how was it?
I'll ride it on Wednesday on some Black trails here in Vegas. Boneshaker will be the perfect trail to get a shake down ride. Plenty of climbing and then a real ass pucker descent.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
weight with pedals?
31.14 pounds with mallet-e pedal. I still need to shed the tubes and then I'll save a bit of weight with my ARC 30's and DT hubs over the stock E1900 splines should save 350 grams. Cranks should save me 200 grams and I'll be putting on my XTR 9020 Trail brakes and RT86 rotors should save another 150 grams. Switching pedals will save 75 grams.

I'm guessing after these changes and if I use my XTR Trail Pedals I'll hit 29.5 pounds on the nose.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This weight is with my Renthal Carbon Fatbar 780 and Renthal Apex 40mm stem, Ergon GD1 grips and Ergon carbon Saddale. I bet the bike out of the box is 31.5 pounds with the Aeffect Bar and stem. The stock saddle was heavy as well.

image1.JPG image2.JPG

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Weights are sounding closer to the Wreckoning

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
No doubt the lower end M10 build is heavy out of the box. Tomorrow I'll have my Wheels and cranks on the bike which will get me under 30 pounds. When I look at the specs on the high end build I do see where the weight was shed to get the bike at 27.6 pounds although I find that number amazing with a coil....albeit the SLS spring

1 - 20 of 276 Posts