Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Time for my first post after reading tons of discussions and reviews all over the net. I started mountainbiking last year on a budget Cube ht with a 1x11xt train and I am totally in love with this sport. I had 2 knee replacements last year (43 years old, sporty guy 190cm, 85kg) and because I have to take good care of these babies I am looking for a great climbing medium travel full suspension bike with the least amount of pedal bob. I tested an Orbea Oiz M10 TR last week, but although its a speed demon, the posture is too racy for my body, it needs a more upright/comfortable position. I also tested the Specialized Epic Evo, same story. I live in The Netherlands where trails are pretty flowy xc/light trail with some pretty steep but flat climbs. Roots and braking bumps while descending and sometimes climbing are killing my ht fun. After thorough investigation I came up with the bikes in the title bar, I also considered the Giant Trance (ugly), Canyon Neuron (good specs, but...), Santa Cruz Talboy 3 (old geo) and Ibis Ripley (too expensive, hard to get). Budget is 4000 euros tops. I hope you can give me some pointers in the right direction, I can't make up my mind. Hope to hear from you!

·
Registered
14,136 Posts
Specialized Epic Evo with a riser bar with 9* or even 12* backsweep.
You can use the stem, bars and seat position in conjunction with the frame size to get you in the correct position.
And your lower back muscles will be strengthened.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting answer, thanks for the feedback. I forgot to mention my back surgery two years ago, I did all the strenghtening possible but this option still feels tricky to me....

·
Registered
14,136 Posts
Other things you can do involves fork selection and tuning for better bump absorption and wheel rim width to get more tire width. Wider tires can run lower pressures for added compliance. Even spokes can affect compliance. Berd spokes will create a softer ride. BERD Wheel Sets - atomikcarbon.com
Another bike is the Transition Spur. Aimed at a little more aggressive terrain. But light.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would love the Spur! But it’s 6300,- euros and thats not within budget… I don’t like to tune too much with fork and rims, the package has to be pretty tuned as it is. Do I read between the lines that you think my options are too burly for my riding?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've been riding bikes a long time. I just picked up a 2021 SJ Comp carbon. I've never had such a well balanced bike that climbs and descends equally well. I'm still dialing in the cockpit to accommodate a more upright riding position without compromising too much of the bikes characteristics. It has great grip in corners, takes bad downhill lines and chews right through them, and climbs crazy steep slopes without lifting the front tire. I'm really enjoying this bike. I also struggle with lower back pain, so I prioritize comfort when selecting a bike and this one has me completely happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for taking the time, the SJ sounds very tempting. The reason I lowered my expectations is the amount of pedal bob the SJ apparently produces (reviews). Do you agree? And why would you prefer the SJ above the Occam?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thanks for taking the time, the SJ sounds very tempting. The reason I lowered my expectations is the amount of pedal bob the SJ apparently produces (reviews). Do you agree? And why would you prefer the SJ above the Occam?
The pedal bob issue was absolutely warranted on previous versions. On the carbon model for 2021 it's completely different, there's no more horst link which was a major culprit in creating bob. Having owned previous SJs I would just drop my hand down and turn the shock to the lock setting on really long fire road climbs, so even then the bob wasn't a huge issue for me. On the 2021, I left it in the open setting on a long fire road climb to test, is the bob gone completely? No, but it's very minimal now. Again, I prioritize comfort over efficiency however so a little more squish to keep my back feeling good enough to ride 3 hours is better than a crazy efficient bike that has me heading home sooner.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Honestly for the riding you described i would say the stumpjumper/other bikes you named may even be more bike than you need. Flat xc/trail riding would be perfect for something like a transition spur (which i had before the stumpy), ibis ripley if you can find one, epic evo, or try looking for a banshee phantom v3 (also ridden one of these quite a bit and it is probably my favorite of these short travel bikes).

If you're set on the stumpjumper, I agree, the past versions were not good and ive never gotten along with a specialized until i tried this new one, but the new one is admittedly very very good. I have a hard time finding anything i don't like about it, and it pairs very nicely with my enduro bike.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hugene ...last years trail bike of the year and updated for 2021.. I say this wothout having a chance to ride one yet..but (imo) the bike just looks to have great geo ...They havnt started shipping to the us yet..but im hot to try one...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a YT Izzo Pro from 2020. I like it a lot - enough travel to hold traction over bumps. Efficient. I would 100% buy it again and it sounds like what you are looking for.

The two main gripes I see are:

1. It has a remote lockout for the rear shock. The mechanism has been troublesome for some owners, but has worked for me. I rarely use it though. This eliminates bob.
2. The headset bearings have not lasted long for some riders. Again, I have not had this issue, but have seen 1 or 2 people with this complaint.

There is a Izzo community on MTBR with all kinds of discussion on these issues. However, most comments are generally very good reviews. Some of the new Izzo models (Blaze) do not have the rear lockout.

Unfortunately I do not have experience with the other models. Given the lockdowns and bike shortages in the US, I just had to pick one and hope for the best.

·
Registered
14,136 Posts
I would love the Spur! But it’s 6300,- euros and thats not within budget… I don’t like to tune too much with fork and rims, the package has to be pretty tuned as it is. Do I read between the lines that you think my options are too burly for my riding?
Well, you can take the SJ south for mountain riding.
Transition does offer a lower priced model in the US. It's a popular bike though. May be a wait.
You have to demo, if possible, longer travel bikes and see if you need the travel for comfort to enjoy riding.
I would go with a short travel 29 or compliant frame(not all are) titanium hardtail with wide rim wheels if possible.

If your cube did not have a frame with some rear vertical compliance and wide rim wheels. And if your fork lacked good small bump compression damping you may not have ridden a good hardtail.
Manitou Mezzer, DVO and Crane Creek Helm are forks you can setup for performance and comfort.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The pedal bob issue was absolutely warranted on previous versions. On the carbon model for 2021 it's completely different, there's no more horst link which was a major culprit in creating bob. Having owned previous SJs I would just drop my hand down and turn the shock to the lock setting on really long fire road climbs, so even then the bob wasn't a huge issue for me. On the 2021, I left it in the open setting on a long fire road climb to test, is the bob gone completely? No, but it's very minimal now. Again, I prioritize comfort over efficiency however so a little more squish to keep my back feeling good enough to ride 3 hours is better than a crazy efficient bike that has me heading home sooner.
Good to hear more comfort really works for tricky backs! I already installed a Cane Creek Thudbuster LT on my ht and that made a big difference. I have the opportunity to demo an Orbea Occam, the SJ would be bought blind.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honestly for the riding you described i would say the stumpjumper/other bikes you named may even be more bike than you need. Flat xc/trail riding would be perfect for something like a transition spur (which i had before the stumpy), ibis ripley if you can find one, epic evo, or try looking for a banshee phantom v3 (also ridden one of these quite a bit and it is probably my favorite of these short travel bikes).

If you're set on the stumpjumper, I agree, the past versions were not good and ive never gotten along with a specialized until i tried this new one, but the new one is admittedly very very good. I have a hard time finding anything i don't like about it, and it pairs very nicely with my enduro bike.
I would totally agree when there are no physical limitations, but like Toyota said I have to give up a bit of efficiency for comfort... I will have a look at the Banshee!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hugene ...last years trail bike of the year and updated for 2021.. I say this wothout having a chance to ride one yet..but (imo) the bike just looks to have great geo ...They havnt started shipping to the us yet..but im hot to try one...

The Hugene will be available in jan 2022, but seems a bit too allmountain/enduro to me... Looks great though!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a YT Izzo Pro from 2020. I like it a lot - enough travel to hold traction over bumps. Efficient. I would 100% buy it again and it sounds like what you are looking for.

The two main gripes I see are:

1. It has a remote lockout for the rear shock. The mechanism has been troublesome for some owners, but has worked for me. I rarely use it though. This eliminates bob.
2. The headset bearings have not lasted long for some riders. Again, I have not had this issue, but have seen 1 or 2 people with this complaint.

There is a Izzo community on MTBR with all kinds of discussion on these issues. However, most comments are generally very good reviews. Some of the new Izzo models (Blaze) do not have the rear lockout.

Unfortunately I do not have experience with the other models. Given the lockdowns and bike shortages in the US, I just had to pick one and hope for the best.
The Izzo was my first choice because of the lockout, but availability is completely in unclear...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After all your great feedback I think the choice narrows down to a SJ, Occam or the Oiz TR with riser/backsweep bar. The only thing I would like to know is what makes the SJ a better/more suitable bike than the Occam. The geo numbers are pretty close, hard to tell....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I forgot to ask you about the Banshee, looks indeed like a nice bike but the geo numbers look pretty similar to the SJ? And what about the weight? Looks pretty heavy with 15kg for a L version..

·
Registered
14,136 Posts
SJ Comp Carbon 29 has 140 fork and 130 shock. Fork is a Fox 34 with Grip damper.(not Grip 2) Better than Fit by a lot.
Occam has 140 fork and 140 shock. Fox 34 Performance with Fit damper. $300 to upgrade damper to Grip 2. You can order upgrade to better Fox 36.
SJ has new flex seatstays instead of pivot at axle like the Occam. Oiz has flex seatstays. Spur also uses flex seatstays.
Lighter, simpler with no maintenance.
Deore and SLX 4 piston brakes are the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Occam M30 has the Float Performance (grip) fork, the SJ Comp the Float Rhythm fork. No problem there for the Occam… Flex seatstay could be “better” indeed..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts