Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving to the area and will be located about 25 minutes south of culpepper. Any tips on good local trails to ride? I am moving up from Asheville and am looking forward to exploring some of the local dirt.

Thanks
Nolan

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,383 Posts
Rapidan Wildlife Management area in Madison has fire roads good for getting your mt. climbing on. Not very technical anymore, you can probably drive the whole thing in an Accord now. Stay out of the National Park at the top.

There's a private farm in Culpeper w/ trials, look up CAMBO CAMBO - mountain bike Culpeper Virginia pay to play but its cheap

CAMBC - Charlottesville Area Mountain Bike Club, you'll want to check out Preddy Creek about 15-20 minutes south of you. This is a new park w/ a growing trail system, come help me build it!

Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Coalition look up Massanutten and buy a pass, it's 40 minutes west and would be one of your better weekend ride destinations. This place is great.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
8 Posts
I'd just drive to one of the Charlottesville/Albemarle trails like Walnut Creek and others (haven't lived there for a few years myself).

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,383 Posts
I'd just drive to one of the Charlottesville/Albemarle trails like Walnut Creek and others (haven't lived there for a few years myself).
Walnut Creek is probably a 45 min to hour drive for the OP, it's 15 minutes south of Charlottesville Massanutten is a far superior ride and it's likely closer.

For the OP, Walnut has a bit more topo, maybe 250' of vertical top to bottom than Preddy. Preddy has about 120'. Walnut has a bit more rock, a lot of folks look at it as a stepping stone before hitting the real mountains. Walnut is a fun park w/ about 16 miles of trail, but it's not your daily ride after work location.

Preddy is located at the intersection of Orange, Greene, and Albemarle Counties. If you're looking at a map with county boundaries, the intersection of the three county lines is inside the park...hows that from a land management standpoint! Access is from the Albemarle side.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response. I used to live in the area and am familiar with all of the stuff in Charllotesville, and was actually at the very first Preddy Creek work day with some BRS boys! I am definitely interested in Massanutten and the gravel grinds. Ill have to look into those when I get there. Will, you and I have met, built trails and ridden together before. Not sure if you remember. I used to work at the Blue Ridge School helping out with the Outdoor Program. Thanks for the input and keep it coming! Its going to be a tough transition not living 10 minutes from Pisgah!

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,383 Posts
Thanks for the response. I used to live in the area and am familiar with all of the stuff in Charllotesville, and was actually at the very first Preddy Creek work day with some BRS boys! I am definitely interested in Massanutten and the gravel grinds. Ill have to look into those when I get there. Will, you and I have met, built trails and ridden together before. Not sure if you remember. I used to work at the Blue Ridge School helping out with the Outdoor Program. Thanks for the input and keep it coming! Its going to be a tough transition not living 10 minutes from Pisgah!
Ha! It occurred to me, this might be you Nolan, but I thought you'd have tabs on those trails already, so I thought it couldn't be that Nolan. You might make a friend at WFS, they have a loop too. Also, some pro-builders were at Blue Ridge last season, there's more there now, but I haven't been there recently. My loop in Forest Lakes is up to 10 miles too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you want to go a little further southwest in the George Washington National Forrest there is a great group of trails around Sherando Lakes. That is one of my favorite places to ride. I rode Preddy Creek for the first time today and absolutely loved it. GWNF is much more for the advanced riders though. Real rocky and steep downhills. (I am not advanced just a glutten for punishment)

·
Registered
7 Posts
rails

There are some great trail/ fire roads in Madison. I ride my KTM up there. Currently searching for a MTB. Getting back to cycling, again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which fire roads? I enjoy dirt/gravel. Got any suggested routes I could try out? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fire Roads

There's a nice road past Graves Mill that goes quite a way before stopping near Skyline Drive. There's another road between Criglersville and Syria that goes over to Rapidan Camp. Quaker Run Road. Once you reach the saddle it run across the top of Blakey Ridge out to Ruth and goes down the other side of the mountain over to the cabins at Rapidan camp. You can also reach Hoover's Cabin from there as well. There's also a really nice road that comes off the drive and goes past Hoover's Camp. I know these guys who rode it on dirt bikes back in the 80's (and didn't get caught). :lol:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Are you able to post any type of map, or GPS data for these roads?

There's a nice road past Graves Mill that goes quite a way before stopping near Skyline Drive. There's another road between Criglersville and Syria that goes over to Rapidan Camp. Quaker Run Road. Once you reach the saddle it run across the top of Blakey Ridge out to Ruth and goes down the other side of the mountain over to the cabins at Rapidan camp. You can also reach Hoover's Cabin from there as well. There's also a really nice road that comes off the drive and goes past Hoover's Camp. I know these guys who rode it on dirt bikes back in the 80's (and didn't get caught). :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Starting points

N38 22.364 W78 21.884 This is the starting point at Graves Mill.Travel West on Garth Run Road and you can ride back next to the park. I pulled the point up on Garmin Mapsource.

N38 27.365 W78 21.652 This is what we call The Saddle It's your second starting point. One way goes across Blakey Ridge and terminates at Ruth, and the other goes over to Rapidan Camp. If you feeling really adventurous (and hard-core) Start at this point and ride to the first point at Graves Mill. Back in the 80's (pre-flood) there was a road that went through there. It was called the Fish-For-Fun Road. Blakey Ridge Fire Road is rather rough and rocky. I'm still searching for a MTB to get back into MTB-ing, so I can't go with you and I think my KTM may be a little faster than what you may want to do.

These "roads" have lots of nice little trails that turn off here and there. There was a road that went off the the Garth Run Road into the park that came out at a dot on the map in Greene County called Fletcher we also used to take Jeeps and dirt bikes on. There's another tough little trail that is also near the end of Garth Run Road that goes over to a cool little place called "Bear Church". I rode that with some friends last fall on my 950.
Feel free to send me a PM if you want more info. I've ridden those roads and trails for 30 years. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts