Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in one of the orange anodized 5-Spot frames this week. Very cool color, I like it a lot. This is Ozlongboarder's new frame, waiting on a Fox DHX 5.0 shock for the rear though.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

Attachments

·
irascible lummox
158 Posts
Fox DHX already available?

I'm waiting for the Romic to blow up and the DHX sounds like it might be a good 2nd shock that might even relegate the Romic to backup duty.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
slowideclyde said:
I'm waiting for the Romic to blow up and the DHX sounds like it might be a good 2nd shock that might even relegate the Romic to backup duty.
The DHX isn't available aftermarket yet, but should be in some sizes within the next week or two. I've been hearing rave reviews from a couple of industry insiders I know who have ridden it quite a bit, should be a very nice shock.
Larry Mettler

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
Are we going to have a new group form.
So far:
Red Pooftahs
Black Ninja's
Hi Hoe Silver's
Blue Mermaids?

Maybe Clockwork Oranges?

sweet frame, how are you building it up?

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
dude, you really need to let the color nicknames go, it's a bike, not a box of Lucky Charms

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Ventanarama said:
The DHX isn't available aftermarket yet, but should be in some sizes within the next week or two. I've been hearing rave reviews from a couple of industry insiders I know who have ridden it quite a bit, should be a very nice shock.
Larry Mettler

Larry,

Do you have an idea how the pricing will be for anodized vs. powdercoated & air vs. coil shocks for '05?

·
Registered
281 Posts
What's with the welds?

Can't really say I like how the welds are a different shade. If you look at the picture on the Moment on the Ellsworth board the Blue Moments welds are the same color as the frame.
This frames welds just strike me as alittle odd. The frame sure looks nice though. I guess it's just the anodizing, but I've never noticed this before on another frame.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bigdrunk said:
Larry,

Do you have an idea how the pricing will be for anodized vs. powdercoated & air vs. coil shocks for '05?
As of now the pricing is the same. I don't have any info from Turner yet on what the 05' shock options and their prices will be. I'd suspect we'll see the DHX as one option the RP3 as another, and that the Romic will be gone, but that's honestly just speculation at this point.
Larry Mettler
http://wwwmtnhighcyclery.com

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wow, that orange looks really nice. Personally, I like how the color is different on the welds. Damn Larry, you just had to fuel my 5-spot envy...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
lushmd said:
Wow, that orange looks really nice. Personally, I like how the color is different on the welds....
Agreed.

I'd suggested 'burnt orange' like the IROC-Zs of 2 decades ago and the current generation of 350 Zs to a frame maker looking for color suggestions a little while ago. They chose to go with baby blue or something. I wish they hadn't as that's a hot look.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
SMR said:
Can't really say I like how the welds are a different shade. If you look at the picture on the Moment on the Ellsworth board the Blue Moments welds are the same color as the frame.
This frames welds just strike me as alittle odd. The frame sure looks nice though. I guess it's just the anodizing, but I've never noticed this before on another frame.
I agree, I was actually going to ask the same question: Is the Anodizing faded or something at the welds? They do look to be a different shade? Perhaps its nothing but all the same it looks odd.

I head that Anodizing can be a little "hit and miss".

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Well....

Turner uses special "non-cracking" welds that might annodize differently than Ellsworth welds :D

Just funnin with ya! Not sure why they would be a different color. The best orange annodization I've seen was an Ellsworth Id. Absolutely beautiful.

Dave

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
That's hilarious

MightySchmoePong said:
Turner uses special "non-cracking" welds that might annodize differently than Ellsworth welds :D

Those non-cracking welds just aren't as pretty are they?

·
A little of everything
478 Posts
The different color is because the welds are a diffent type of aluminium than the frame tubing, and therefor acts different to the anodising process.

·
what a joke
2,280 Posts
hmmmmm those welds

I like them and I guess thats whats important ;)
My reasons for buying a 5 Spot:
1, Positive bike reviews
2, Horst Link
3, Sizing options
4, Ease of Maintenance
5, Uninterupted seat tube
6, Turner customer service reputation
7, Funky welds on anodized frames :D

questions?

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Anders said:
The different color is because the welds are a diffent type of aluminium than the frame tubing, and therefor acts different to the anodising process.
I'm pretty sure Ellsworth and Turner (as well as some Santa Cruz) are welded and anodized in the same facilililility. The difference is in the design.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Not true, they are all fabricated by different builders.

it's all been covered in the past if you'd like to search back for more info.

Homebrew said:
I'm pretty sure Ellsworth and Turner (as well as some Santa Cruz) are welded and anodized in the same facilililility. The difference is in the design.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
The reason for the discoloration in the welds is due to the weld rod which we spec on our frames. It is differnt than what is used by many of our coppetitors and is more reliable in the heat treat process. But it is not as friedly with the color of anodizing. You give up one to get the other. We feel the strength of the frame is the most important quality and if that means some wleds which are a bit different than the color of the frame then so be it. Around here it gives what we refer to as FMB......

1 - 20 of 45 Posts