Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this "orange alert" they keep talking about on the radio? Something about ozone and air quality on the ridge tops. Warning not to exercise outside. What is this? Should I even pay attenion? I though orange alert was reserved for the terrorist threat level.:confused:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Maida7 said:
What is this "orange alert" they keep talking about on the radio? Something about ozone and air quality on the ridge tops. Warning not to exercise outside. What is this? Should I even pay attenion? I though orange alert was reserved for the terrorist threat level.:confused:
Back in So Cal, we called it,"just another day in the smog." :D Seriously, it's just another warning that the very young, elderly, or asmatic should worry about. Your risk from driving to your riding spot will still be your danger zone.:eek:

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's polution related? I moved from New York city to get out of the polution. We never had no orange alert in NYC. Oh wait after 9/11 the city was on constant orange alert, still is. But that's the terror alert. But we never ever had warnings about the air quality. Heat warnings but no air warnings

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
The summer "smog" in the mountains includes microscopic particulates from coal burning power plants mostly in Tennessee (the TVA is the villain) and even from factories and crap from the midwest believe it or not. I once read that the average view in the mountains was over 100 miles about 100 years ago... now it's about half that on a good day thanks to the way corporations and our cars pollute etc

However, I lived in Asheville for a year before moving back to Raleigh and despite those warnings my personal experience was that the air is 10x better up there... it's just on certain days that it can be "bad" (that's relative though).

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
As I understand it...Ozone is not pollution, per se, but a byproduct of pollution. Auto and industrial emissions combine with oxygen in the presence of heat and sun (plenty of that today) to turn the oxygen (O2) into ozone (O3). If you didn't have as much heat in NYC, maybe you didn't have as much ozone. Of course, I just got back from Chicago, it was over 90 there...how people can stand to live somewhere with such GodAwful winter and 90+ summer, I don't know. Must be the food.

Anyhow, ozone will dissipate in the evening, and I think it's a touch too hot to work-out until the sun starts to go down today anyway. I ran two blocks just now to my gym to work out...I was suffering already when I got there. Husband climbed Ceasar's Head this morning and proclaimed it "nasty".

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NYC is hot (high 80's and sometimes 90's) and humid (just like here) but the sun does not reach the streets. It's a canyon effect created by the buildings that reduces air movement and keeps all the smog at human level. The worst part of NYC heat is that it don't cool off at night. At least in Asheville it cools at least to 60 every night. NYC nights are a sweat bath. And after several days with no rain the entire city smells of rotten garbage. How cosmopolitan!

So when I was gasping for breath in Bent Creek after work yesterday it was the ozone and not the fact that I'm a slug on wheels.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Official Wording

AIR QUALITY OFFICIALS ISSUE CODE ORANGE HEALTH NOTICE

RALEIGH --- Air quality officials issued a health notice today for air pollution in the Charlotte, Hickory and Asheville Ridge Tops areas on Friday. Forecasters have predicted Code Orange conditions, which means that air quality in these areas is likely to be unhealthy for sensitive groups.

This forecast means people who are sensitive to air pollution should avoid moderate exertion outdoors in the afternoon. Sensitive groups include children who are active outside, people who work or exercise outdoors, and those with asthma, bronchitis, emphysema and other respiratory ailments.

The primary pollutant of concern is ozone, a highly reactive form of oxygen. Ozone can be unhealthy to breathe, damage plants and reduce crop yields. High ozone levels generally occur on hot sunny days with stagnant air, when pollutants such as nitrogen oxides and hydrocarbons react in the lower atmosphere.

The air pollution forecast for Friday predicts that ozone levels will exceed the standard of 0.08 parts per million (ppm) averaged over 8 hours. High ozone levels can impair breathing and aggravate symptoms in people with respiratory problems, and irritate the lungs in healthy individuals. People with chronic lung ailments and children should reduce physical exertion and outdoor activity in the afternoon, when ozone levels are highest.

The website:http://www.ncair.org/

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ozone is a good thing. It's natures cleaner/deodorizer. Most expensive home air cleaners are no more than ozone generators. Our problem outside is simply smog. Smoke(i.e. burned crap), and fog(humidity in our case). There is no excuse to skip exercising! Close your windows, crank up your ozone generator, and gimme 50!!:D

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
I was in the Charlotte area yesterday and today. Even though I expect it to be much hotter than Asheville, I did notice an air quality change from a few weeks before. Plus, my second and third packs of cigarettes seemed to burn faster. Think it was related?

:skep:

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yesterday, Charlotte was at RED ALERT!!! Red alert, you'd think people would be dropping dead all over the place. I mean how are we to take these threats seriously if we get to red alert and the joggers are not lying dead in the gutters all over town.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Maida7 said:
Yesterday, Charlotte was at RED ALERT!!! Red alert, you'd think people would be dropping dead all over the place. I mean how are we to take these threats seriously if we get to red alert and the joggers are not lying dead in the gutters all over town.
You just don't understand the color scale:

Plaid Alert
Purple Alert
Red Alert
Orange Alert
Yellow Alert

Joggers don't start dropping til Plaid.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
M-U-M said:
I was in the Charlotte area yesterday and today. Even though I expect it to be much hotter than Asheville, I did notice an air quality change from a few weeks before. Plus, my second and third packs of cigarettes seemed to burn faster. Think it was related?

:skep:
Errrr, could th' ozone be dog'n yer:skep: lungz an' cause'n ya to breathe:eek: harder, therefore burn'n up them seegrits a lil' faster :madman: then you'd normally be doin'???

jus' thinkin' out loud....ok I'm shut'n up... :rant:

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
OB1 said:
You just don't understand the color scale:

Plaid Alert
Purple Alert
Red Alert
Orange Alert
Yellow Alert

Joggers don't start dropping til Plaid.
Hey OB1 you gonna injest a lil ozone up in Wilsons Creek area Sat. by chance??
Get in touch w/me through Clarks & Swanson if ya do.

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
Topic 1.) You could be on to something there - as I almost had to stop once going up N. Boundry last week... oh wait, that was because my lighter kept crapping out. *

Topic 2.) Personally, I think the increase pollution has something to do with the multiple climate controls in expensive autos who haul $$$ Kona's with a baby seat on the back. *

:eekster:

* T-1: What was up with the 20 cig butts at the top of Green's Lick?
* T-2: Escalade seen on the way home yesterday.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
OB1 said:
Ozone is a good thing. It's natures cleaner/deodorizer. Most expensive home air cleaners are no more than ozone generators. Our problem outside is simply smog. Smoke(i.e. burned crap), and fog(humidity in our case). There is no excuse to skip exercising! Close your windows, crank up your ozone generator, and gimme 50!!:D
Ozone is a good thing in the upper atmosphere, it prevents too much UV radtiation from reaching the earth's surface.

However at surface level ozone is a problem. You mention that smog; ozone is actually a major contributor to smog, and is harmful to the respitory system which is why we have the air quality alert system. The ozone is not directly emitted from combustion (i.e. burned crap) but is a by-product of pollutants that are formed from combustion reacting with the atmosphere.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.