Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year we took the left at the top of Curtis Creek and rode the Parkway for 5 miles to Heartbreak Ridge trailhead. Previous year, I am told, it was up Curtis Creek, cross over the Parkway and bomb down 2074 then up back up the 5 mile climb to the parkway on 472, take a right onto the parkway and one mile to Heartbreak trailhead. I have ridden 2074 and 472 recently and they were both open and in good shape. Curtis Creek looked about ready to open as well. I personally hope the route is down 2074 to the climb back up to 472: keep it the "Off Road" Assault. It will be a little harder but it keeps it off the pavement. Does anybody have any idea what the route will be?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I don't know the route.

But I know where the promoter is and he doesn't have access to a computer for about another week or so.

I think I recall him saying it was not yet decided and not totally up to him (USFS has alot of say in it.)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I will unabashedly give my two cents - in case someone here talks to Todd.

I like what the website says: either it will be the 2007 course or the 2006 course. I like this because both Old US-70 as well as the Parkway are neat sections of the course that make it feel more of an adventure (even though they are road, they add variety). Having both together in a course would be too much road; having neither of them in a course would be too much gravel. Personally, my druthers lie toward last year's course as it provides the longest continuous climb, as well as spectacular views from the Parkway of what you just rode up. My out-of-town riding friends definitely thought this was the coolest part of the course as it put the "epic" nature of the race into perspective. Either way, the ORAMM is probably my favorite endurance MTB race course, and I'm looking forward to racing it yet again this year.

·
Registered
53 Posts
HatTrick said:
I will unabashedly give my two cents - in case someone here talks to Todd.

I like what the website says: either it will be the 2007 course or the 2006 course. I like this because both Old US-70 as well as the Parkway are neat sections of the course that make it feel more of an adventure (even though they are road, they add variety). Having both together in a course would be too much road; having neither of them in a course would be too much gravel. Personally, my druthers lie toward last year's course as it provides the longest continuous climb, as well as spectacular views from the Parkway of what you just rode up. My out-of-town riding friends definitely thought this was the coolest part of the course as it put the "epic" nature of the race into perspective. Either way, the ORAMM is probably my favorite endurance MTB race course, and I'm looking forward to racing it yet again this year.
I agree with your comments on the views, but I was not a big fan of the extended miles on the BRP. There were 2-3 tunnels with no shoulder--me and few others had to stop to let some cars pass through. The tunnels were also very dark, so unless you have reflectors on your bike (unlikely), there is some real risk that a car won't see you once you get inside the tunnel.

Whatever the decision, I'll still be there. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How much knob?

It always seems like a lame question when someone asks "What kind of tires should I use" but here I am asking it...

Any opinions about tires for ORAMM would be appreciated.

I'm inclined to go with as little knob as I can get away with given, as the site says, "most of the climbing is on Forst Service roads while most of the singletrack points downhill." I'm thinking that a premium should be put on good rollers.

In 2006 I had to pull out a month prior to the start due to back issues, but I'm really looking forward to it this year! :thumbsup:

Thanks for any and all...

mb

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still think it should be on the Forest Service Rd

across from Curtis Creek and stay off of the Blue Ridge Parkway - again, isnt it supposed to be an "Off Road" assault. If they want those views they can ride the Assault on Mt Mitchell with the road bike riders:eek: . I am sure the climb back up the Forest Service road makes up for the lack of extended climb on the Parkway and it takes off the mile and a half of paved downhill - I'd rather do all the downhill on dirt personally. :cool:
I've alreay registered so I'll do whatever but I would hope it goes back to "off road" as much as possible.
Curtis Creek Rd, as well as FS2074 and FS472 are all in great shape, I just rode them this weekend.
http://glenalpineepicadventures.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Riding 5 and a half miles on the paved BRP put the "epic" nature of the race into perspective? I understand the views being epic but outside of that there isnt anything epic about riding pavement on a MTB. Usually it is just a good way to get to the downhill faster.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Smokedog said:
I agree with your comments on the views, but I was not a big fan of the extended miles on the BRP. There were 2-3 tunnels with no shoulder--me and few others had to stop to let some cars pass through. The tunnels were also very dark, so unless you have reflectors on your bike (unlikely), there is some real risk that a car won't see you once you get inside the tunnel.

Whatever the decision, I'll still be there. Just my two cents.
You must have ridden a differant section of the BRP than the ORAMM route has taken. There is only one tunnel, a short and straight one at that, on the ORAMM section of the Parkway.

·
Registered
163 Posts
A tentative course map is up...

And it looks like it is the 2006 course. It should make my goal of a sub-6 hour finish a little more difficult but still achievable. In all fairness to my friends, unless you are a local you really have no idea how far you have climbed unless you actually look down on it. But we'll let the bikes do the talking. See you guys race day. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Mr_Bones said:
It always seems like a lame question when someone asks "What kind of tires should I use" but here I am asking it...

I'm inclined to go with as little knob as I can get away with given, as the site says, "most of the climbing is on Forst Service roads while most of the singletrack points downhill." I'm thinking that a premium should be put on good rollers.

In 2006 I had to pull out a month prior to the start due to back issues, but I'm really looking forward to it this year! :thumbsup:

mb
I've never ridden the ORAMM but I've ridden the course, and while lack of knobbage will definitely help on the way up Curtis Creek Rd and the BRP, it may very well hurt you on the way down.

By the time you make it to the downhill you'll be toast from the neverending climb, and a few extra knobs may be the difference between slipping, sliding, and crashing and staying upright when the inevitable fatigue kicks in.

It's always a tradeoff.

Have fun in the race, I'll be back in CA by then but plan on riding Kitsuma and HBR on the 5th of July. On a 29er with a Conti Mtn King on the front and a Rampage out back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
FeloniousDunk said:
You must have ridden a differant section of the BRP than the ORAMM route has taken. There is only one tunnel, a short and straight one at that, on the ORAMM section of the Parkway.
I guess my recollection from last year's ORAMM is wrong then. The 2007 ORAMM is the only time I've ridden that area of Pisgah. I could've sworn I went through more than one tunnel. I'm not that familiar with the area, so if you are, and you think there is only one tunnel, then I stand corrected.

Regardless, I would still rather avoid such a long ride on the BRP.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Beefy XC tires. In both the 29 and 26 world, Ignitors are a good example. Conti Mountain Kings, WTB Prowlers, and many others also fit the bill. Semi-slicks or other minimalist designs might kill you on the descents and the Kitsuma downhill might destroy the tires. Big-arse tires like a Rampage, Stout, or others would kill you on the gravel/pavement.
Mike

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mr_Bones said:

mb
Last Year I Used the Kenda Karma with not a single problem, But i Do think I'll need a little bit more grip... My brother ripped the sidewall in the karma....... This Year I'm switching to Continentals.
Good luck to all....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.