Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

I was curious about whether Optygen actually works but a quick search showed me a couple of threads where folks swear by the stuff which is encouraging BUT...

I was wondering if there were any side effects for anyone?

I'm not real big on slamming down sketchy supplements and I DEFINITELY don't want to accidentally be scarfing mahwang or ephedra but this stuff seems to be pretty legit. I get enough extra adrenaline from asthma medicine which also concerns me if Optygen jacks your heart rate up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I looked at the optygen website and the "evidence" they present to support the product is very poor. They reference a number of research studies that used terrible methods, ie, the studies were designed to show that the product works rather than to objectively investigate its efficacy. The website also references articles that don't exist. Their explanation of how the product works reveals a lack of understanding of exercise metabolism.

In short, if you want to believe the testimonials of users, go ahead. But there is little or no scientific evidence that this product improves performance.

Best,

Dave

·
Registered
214 Posts
1 side effect I noticed......

I only used it once, but I noticed that my wallet was significantly lighter after using it.

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
O man that's it!!!!!

KonaSS said:
I only used it once, but I noticed that my wallet was significantly lighter after using it.
If you're (wallet is) lighter, that's why you go faster!!!

Doh!!!!!!!!!

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's...

dave morris said:
I looked at the optygen website and the "evidence" they present to support the product is very poor. They reference a number of research studies that used terrible methods, ie, the studies were designed to show that the product works rather than to objectively investigate its efficacy. The website also references articles that don't exist. Their explanation of how the product works reveals a lack of understanding of exercise metabolism.

In short, if you want to believe the testimonials of users, go ahead. But there is little or no scientific evidence that this product improves performance.

Best,

Dave
...what I'm concerned about being the retentive, empirical (ok control freak) person I am. I'm afraid to be scarfing down some crapola that was whipped up in a basement in China somewhere.

I haven't done a search on those articles yet but I'd be amazed if they actually put completely bogus references on their marketing stuff (yea I know). You have to figure at some point, people would figure out they were bogus.

Now I'm stumped but everyone seems to think it works pretty well.

·
On your left!!!!!
330 Posts
dave morris said:

Best,

Dave
The dave morris????I had no luck With It.Train hard!!!!!!! Eat well and sleep.' Thats my drug.

·
Registered
81 Posts
bulletbob said:
...what I'm concerned about being the retentive, empirical (ok control freak) person I am. I'm afraid to be scarfing down some crapola that was whipped up in a basement in China somewhere.

I haven't done a search on those articles yet but I'd be amazed if they actually put completely bogus references on their marketing stuff (yea I know). You have to figure at some point, people would figure out they were bogus.

Now I'm stumped but everyone seems to think it works pretty well.
From a technical standpoint, the research may not be bogus, but from a practical standpoint, much that is used to sell products is. When in comes to herbal supplements like optygen, much of the reseach on the ingredients comes from China, and the Chinese have a reputation for doing some pretty poor work. A typical example would be to get a bunch of untrained individuals, have them do a performance test, put them on a training program that includes supplementation with optygen, and then repeat the performance test after several weeks. Of course, after several weeks of training their performance improves and the "researchers" conclude that the optygen must have had something to do with it.

Often times, research is purposefully manipulated to get the desired result. I recall a study done by a well known exercise physiologist here in the States that investigated the effect of a camelbak filled with ice on exericse performance in the heat. His research design had subjects ride under two conditions: One had them ride in the heat with no camelbak and no water, while the second condition had them ride in the heat while wearing a camelbak filled with ice and drinking as much water as they desired. Of couse, the subjects performed better under the second condition, but his conclusion that it was the camelbak that made the difference was completely flawed. He was being paid by a company that was interested in developing a "cold vest" to improve exercise performance in the heat, BTW.

Finally, research results can be manipulated to suggest something that really isn't the case. For instance, my stomach turns everytime I see the Endurox R4 recovery drink advertisement that states that Endurox R4 is a better recovery drink than Gatorade. Well, of course it is, because Gatorade is formulated to be used during exercise, while the Endurox is made to be taken after exercise. So, they are using good research data to support their claim that their apple is a better apple than someone else's orange.

Yeah, a lot of the research is bogus, but the companies make a lot of money before the average consumer figures it out.

Best,

Dave

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
i spent last winter and the early part of this year training on OpytgenHP

i think it actually does help. it didn't make me feel like superman, but it did seem to help me recover from higher volume and intensity.

no ill side effects noted either.

YMMV

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've used "Cordygen-5" and had good results. Everybodies body is different but it worked for me. I know other factors were at play as they always are but I cut1:30'ish off a 1.5 mile run at an additional 1,500' elevation (from 5000 to 6500). I was happy with the results.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ms/cord.html

Edit: I forgot to add the drop was from 12:36 to 11:06 (12% drop). The reason I tell this is not to say I'm awesome but that is much different than drop 1:30 from 20:00 to 18:30 (7.5% drop). Hope that helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have two thoughts in this area,
Firstendurance is not some fly by night, or infomercial out for cash.
They are the real deal supporting sports from grass roots up the TDF.

I use their products more for recovery and comfort. Don't know if I go
any faster, but on a hot day doing a long climb, I feel better. And I
usually have to go to work after a race.

Mark "recovering" Fincham

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Currently living with unnamed suspended pro cyclist....... All optygen products have been set aside for USADA sample testing as it's only lead to where the positive may have come from. Should be indication enough not to use it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts