Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2018 Scott Spark 900 RC World Cup last fall.... to make a long story short, I think the bars are too low as my neck ends up hurting pretty bad after each ride, resulting in a headache.

I have a bike fit planned in the next couple of weeks, but can’t fit the time requirement in yet.

In the meantime, what might my options be? I don’t think I can fit any more spacers in... the stem is the factory default with a -8 angle, so maybe I could flip it? Tho I don’t know how much difference that would make... Or, can I even flip that stem?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yes just flip the stem. That is the only option. You can’t add spacers. Only option is the flip or get a stem with an even higher rise.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The stem should look like it can be flipped to raise, if it can be. The stem relative to the steer tube won't be 90*.

The photo I found online appears to have an integrated stem/bar. Is that true of yours?

The bike does appear to be somewhat of a cross country bike leaning towards having the rider in a position to keep the front end weighted (lower bars relative to seat).

Without knowing your riding history, this could be something you will adapt to as you get more time in -it's common to have sore neck muscles when getting used to riding (if you are newer to the activity).

·
Registered
339 Posts
I picked up a 2018 Scott Spark 900 RC World Cup last fall.... to make a long story short, I think the bars are too low as my neck ends up hurting pretty bad after each ride, resulting in a headache.

I have a bike fit planned in the next couple of weeks, but can't fit the time requirement in yet.

In the meantime, what might my options be? I don't think I can fit any more spacers in... the stem is the factory default with a -8 angle, so maybe I could flip it? Tho I don't know how much difference that would make... Or, can I even flip that stem?
You (and I) have a top of the line XCO race bike. I have my stem slammed and that bike is meant to have an aggressive race setup. Do you have the right bike for your riding style and goals? By raising the bars too much you start to take pressure off the front wheel and may loose traction, so be careful there. That being said, below are my recommendations.

Your options for a more upright position are to always run the lockout fully open (slacker head tube angle), flip the stem to have a positive not negative rise, max out spacers underneath, buy new riser handlebars and possibly a shorter stem. Lastly, but most importantly, make sure you have a proper bike fit. If the bike is too big, you'll be reaching for your cockpit causing a more head down position. Also, look into seeing a sports PT to ensure you don't have an underlying issue that this bike is just exposing. Possibly some posture and/or stretching and foam rolling could solve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.