Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on drilling out the RD's on my wife's Mukluk and we're wondering about what color rim strips we'll use once the job is done. Besides Surly, who provides different color and/or cool design options for rim strips?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I got a purple vinyl shower curtain off ebay for $5 for the Mrs. ride, cut it into 4 inch strips and installed under a black surly strip.

·
1,711 Posts
I like to wrap my rims on the inside with bacon for rim strips. That way when I get a little hungry on the trail I have a snack.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Refective tape is pretty sweet if you ride at night. It comes in all the cool colors too. Just leave the backer on, and don't worth about wrinkles. Once you air it up they smooth right out.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,691 Posts
Anything, and then use strapping/packaging tape to make your "rim strip? and prevent the tube from pushing out. Strapping tape is very light, plus it will stretch just enough to let the tube "bulge" in the holes without any fear of it going too far with higher PSI.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,691 Posts
Refective tape is pretty sweet if you ride at night. It comes in all the cool colors too. Just leave the backer on, and don't worth about wrinkles. Once you air it up they smooth right out.
I can't find blue anywhere for the life of me, but you can get it online. Right now I'm running silver, and to do this I simply cut 32 squareish pieces, anchor them with two small bits of clear packing tape, then when I get em all in place I just run two layers of packing tape around. This keeps it light. It also maximizes the tape, as it's not all that cheap.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all. Lot's of good options presented. I'm not the best at thinking outside the box, so my feeble mind was focused on just the few colors that Surly offered! Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts