Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding the Trance X for a few weeks and loving it. I was smashing down some nice fast rocky/rooty trails today in PA but the uphills were a drag, so at some point next year, I'd like to save a couple pounds and go to a lighter wheel set. I believe that the Giant TRX 1 29s (1769g) or TRX 2 29s (1809g) would save some weight over the stock wheels (2460g), but I have NO IDEA if these are my best option. What should I look for in a lighter wheel (carbon vs light-weight aluminum?), thinner spokes?, etc... Is there a semi-standard answer to this, like "you don't have to go with the Giant wheels but take a look at xxxxxxxxx because they are a better value"? Also, regarding hubs, the 29-2 comes with Shimano MT410 so should I upgrade the hubs at the same time? Sorry, I'm a MTB noob so I'm looking for some direction here. Thanks!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I started a thread for the same thing in the wheels and tires section.
I ended up having a set of wheels built with DT 350 hubs and derby carbon rims by Mike at lacemine29.com

I'm very happy with the wheels and Mike was great to work with deciding on what components to go with.

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started a thread for the same thing in the wheels and tires section.
I ended up having a set of wheels built with DT 350 hubs and derby carbon rims by Mike at lacemine29.com

I'm very happy with the wheels and Mike was great to work with deciding on what components to go with.
Can you send me a link to the thread you started in Wheels & Tires?
Also, did you notice a distinct difference in weight with the new wheel set? I'm hoping to decrease my uphill pedaling labor a tad... Thanks!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Can you send me a link to the thread you started in Wheels & Tires?
Also, did you notice a distinct difference in weight with the new wheel set? I'm hoping to decrease my uphill pedaling labor a tad... Thanks!

There is a noticable difference in feel when accelerating from slow speeds, out of corners, etc. It almost feels like being in one gear easier. Once you're up to speed the difference is less noticable.

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

There is a noticable difference in feel when accelerating from slow speeds, out of corners, etc. It almost feels like being in one gear easier. Once you're up to speed the difference is less noticable.
Oh, and one last question, I think: Did you look at the Giant TRX1 or TRX2 wheels as an option? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Custom wheels are a game changer on most bikes. Going lighter is for sure going to help. But a couple of things to consider in the meantime...what tires are you running? Are you running a heavy downhill tire that can be replaced with a lighter/faster trail tire? What about the front chainring? Running a 32t, drop to a 30t, try an oval front ring. Lastly, you've been riding it few weeks, ride more and train more. The uphills will get easier with endurance.

But going back to the original question, you don't know what you don't know. A builder like @mikesee has lots of experience and can help you sort out the best solution for you. I used a local shop/builder to me, and they did the same. Helped me with finding a wheel that works well for our area, that fit within my budget. The Shimano hubs aren't bad from what I've read, but I wouldn't buy a set of custom wheels without getting a set of really nice hubs too. I went with RaceFace Vaults and they're so smooth rolling. The higher point of engagement has been very nice on technical climbs.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
My Trance 29 1 came with the TRX 1. My only complaint was a low engagement for the hub. Other than that, it's a great wheelset. When I got them, I inflated the Maxxis tires on them to about 30 psi to stretch them, tubeless, without sealant. After a few days, I had my new wheelset and new tires, so I just set them aside and they held pressure for a couple of weeks with no leakage, so the rims/tape set up is very high quality.

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Custom wheels are a game changer on most bikes. Going lighter is for sure going to help. But a couple of things to consider in the meantime...what tires are you running? Are you running a heavy downhill tire that can be replaced with a lighter/faster trail tire? What about the front chainring? Running a 32t, drop to a 30t, try an oval front ring. Lastly, you've been riding it few weeks, ride more and train more. The uphills will get easier with endurance.

But going back to the original question, you don't know what you don't know. A builder like @mikesee has lots of experience and can help you sort out the best solution for you. I used a local shop/builder to me, and they did the same. Helped me with finding a wheel that works well for our area, that fit within my budget. The Shimano hubs aren't bad from what I've read, but I wouldn't buy a set of custom wheels without getting a set of really nice hubs too. I went with RaceFace Vaults and they're so smooth rolling. The higher point of engagement has been very nice on technical climbs.
Good points. I'm running the stock Maxxis Minion DHF EXO 2.5 WT Front & Dissector EXO 2.4 WT Rear. Seem to work well. I do like the idea of going with an oval chainring. I think there's evidence that they do help on the uphills. I've been trying to ride more and more: I did notice that my Saturday ride was much easier than a week earlier. I'm building better endurance and picking my lines better. Looking forward to reducing some of the weight on the bike and I think that lighter wheels and a better hubs would be on my list for next year. Thanks for the input!! Still learning. Love the bike and it is loads of fun in the downhills. Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Trance 29 1 came with the TRX 1. My only complaint was a low engagement for the hub. Other than that, it's a great wheelset. When I got them, I inflated the Maxxis tires on them to about 30 psi to stretch them, tubeless, without sealant. After a few days, I had my new wheelset and new tires, so I just set them aside and they held pressure for a couple of weeks with no leakage, so the rims/tape set up is very high quality.
MSU Alum - I'm reading this as you had the stock TRX 1 wheels on the Trance 29 1, but then upgraded away from those wheels to something else, correct? If so, what wheels did you upgrade to? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
MSU Alum - I'm reading this as you had the stock TRX 1 wheels on the Trance 29 1, but then upgraded away from those wheels to something else, correct? If so, what wheels did you upgrade to? Thanks.
I initially went with i9 Trail 270's. They have better engagement, which is very noticeable for my riding. With 24 spokes, they felt more compliant. At a bit over half a pound lighter, I'd say that was the least noticeable difference. The TRX 1 is 30mm inner and the Trail 270 is 27mm. Not significant.
I ended up giving my son the Trail 270's and went with the Berd Wheels that came in at 1300 grams with Hydra hubs.
I'm an old "empty nester" and am just hanging onto performance with technology and don't have to worry about kids/$ anymore. Otherwise, the only reason I see for not going with the TRX 1 is engagement. That can be modified, but I think that would cost another $100 or so. I do need the engagement, though.

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I initially went with i9 Trail 270's. They have better engagement, which is very noticeable for my riding. With 24 spokes, they felt more compliant. At a bit over half a pound lighter, I'd say that was the least noticeable difference. The TRX 1 is 30mm inner and the Trail 270 is 27mm. Not significant.
I ended up giving my son the Trail 270's and went with the Berd Wheels that came in at 1300 grams with Hydra hubs.
I'm an old "empty nester" and am just hanging onto performance with technology and don't have to worry about kids/$ anymore. Otherwise, the only reason I see for not going with the TRX 1 is engagement. That can be modified, but I think that would cost another $100 or so. I do need the engagement, though.
Ha! I'm not an empty-nester yet, in fact I have a kid in college so I'm looking for the best solution at a moderate cost. That's why I was thinking about the Giant wheels as opposed to a custom set. I may drop by my local Giant dealer and see what the cost would be for the TRX1s with an upgraded hub and weigh that against a custom set. My wife will give me 'the eyebrow' if I keep dropping $$ on the bike. Got to play it cool and go slowly. :)

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Ha! I'm not an empty-nester yet, in fact I have a kid in college so I'm looking for the best solution at a moderate cost. That's why I was thinking about the Giant wheels as opposed to a custom set. I may drop by my local Giant dealer and see what the cost would be for the TRX1s with an upgraded hub and weigh that against a custom set. My wife will give me 'the eyebrow' if I keep dropping $$ on the bike. Got to play it cool and go slowly. :)
Believe me. I've been there!
When they finally leave (sometimes it's like trying to get a booger off your finger) it's like "that guy" suddenly stopped hitting you in the head with a ball peen hammer!
This is in jest - well, sorta - as raising kids is amazingly rewarding.....just not financially.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Haha,
My bike is my mid life crisis mobile ;)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Good thread, I’m in the same boat with my Trance X3 - love this bike but it does feel heavy - would like to lighten it up and I hear wheels are by far the most notable way to go about it. Thing is, I’m heavy, I weigh in at 240 (on a good day) and I worry I’ll kill a nicer set of wheels.

And does anyone know what the hub is in the lower end X3 model? I don’t think it’s a Shimano. It’s very quiet and quite honestly so far pretty durable (considering my weight and where I ride). Talked to a guy at the bike store, he didn’t seem to really know off the top of his head...mentioned standard original equipment (OE) from Giant.

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good thread, I'm in the same boat with my Trance X3 - love this bike but it does feel heavy - would like to lighten it up and I hear wheels are by far the most notable way to go about it. Thing is, I'm heavy, I weigh in at 240 (on a good day) and I worry I'll kill a nicer set of wheels.

And does anyone know what the hub is in the lower end X3 model? I don't think it's a Shimano. It's very quiet and quite honestly so far pretty durable (considering my weight and where I ride). Talked to a guy at the bike store, he didn't seem to really know off the top of his head...mentioned standard original equipment (OE) from Giant.
Hi. According to this review, your bike has 'Giant Performance Disc Hubs' but I don't know how many teeth are on your rear hub. The 29-2 has Shimano MT410 with 36 teeth. I'm looking to find lighter wheels and a quicker engaging hub. Probably be next year so I have some time to ride and consider the options. :)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I weigh in at 240 (on a good day) and I worry I'll kill a nicer set of wheels.
Bontrager Line Comp 30. Rims are a little soft but they're reasonably priced, ~2000g for the set and have no weight limit. Pretty sure they're OEM on some versions of the Slash so they're reasonably tough.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Bontrager Line Comp 30. Rims are a little soft but they're reasonably priced, ~2000g for the set and have no weight limit. Pretty sure they're OEM on some versions of the Slash so they're reasonably tough.

Nice! I'll give them a look. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I have very good experience with my TRX1 I got with my Trance. They've been trouble free for 2 years now and held up great (and I'm no lightweight!).
Great thing about them is that you can install the DT Swiss ratchet parts and have much improved hub and engagement.

Other than that, Newmen SL A30 wheels are also great alloy option that is under 1800gr or Giant TR1 wheels which are alloy version of TRX1.
I built myself set of Newmen SL A30 rims with ZTTO ratchet hubs - DT Swiss copy that work just as well but stock 54t ratchet is garbage and opt for 36t one or DT original and that wheelset is 1700gr with Sapim Laser spokes and more comfortable than Giant TRX1. Total cost was about 250 euro. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.