Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Last year I purchased an Ibex Trophy, did a few things like upgraded the rotors (increased the front to 180mm) and changed out the wheelset (after tacoing the front wheel). I've been looking to purchase a full suspension frame and move the parts over.

First, off what sort of issues do I need to look out for when doing the switch from one frame to another? If the new frame is rated for the same travel in the front fork, do I need to be concerned that the fork won't fit the new frame? Are there any other parts that I should be careful when switching over?

Second, which frames should I be considering? I'm 5'10" 220, mostly ride trails, singletrack, very little jumping, so I'm looking for a good trail frame. I've considered bikes with VPP, Maestro and DW Link technologies, any others that should be on my short list? The kicker in all of this is I don't want to spend more then $500-$700, I know my options will be limited, but I'd really like stick to that area.

Third, would my options be expanded if I sold the Ibex and looked for a full build, or is a frame swap the less expensive route?

Thanks for your help.
-Ron

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
If you can get away with using most/all of your Trophy parts then you will get it done cheaper by swaping. Also, if you will keep upgrading parts down the road, just save up and buy a complete bike that is spec'd to your liking.

The major thing to know before you jump in is the HT length of both old and new. If your fork is cut to (for example) 7.5" and the new bike needs a stear tube of 8.5" to get your bars where you want them... need to buy a new fork. The other frame specific part is the seat post. If the new frame takes a different size you'll need another one of those too.

Lots of frames out there in your price range. Look around and you can find some smoking deals. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
As mngiro said, you may need to look into the length of your current steer tube; if it will fit into your future frame. Measure the height of your current frame's headtube and spacers and compare with the headtubes of the frames you are looking into getting.

Also (probably less likely to be a problem) find out if your existing bottom bracket will fit on your future frame. And some new frames tend to use full length gear cable housing, so you might need to get some new cabling if you currently use interrupted housing.

As for the frames, also look into the GT Force which uses their Independant Drivetrain suspension system. Other good trail bikes include the Ibis mojo (dwl as you probably know), pivot mach 5 (dwl), turner 5spot (dwl), giant trance (maestro) intense tracer (vpp), santa cruz blur (vpp).

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
As mentioned the fork being cut short is probably the biggest problem but more than likely you have a fork thats about 8.25 inches with spacers unless you have a small or XS frame. Giant uses intergrated headsets so if you go that way figure on a new headset. The front derailleur has maybe a 50/50 chance of matching as well as the seatpost.
I would start looking on Ebay at XC frames from 2004-2006 approximately. I have a short list of what I think are affordable frames and that would be Giant NRS, Trance, Anthem and Specialized Epic, Stumpjumper.

At your height and weight I think the Epic or Stumpjumper large frame would probably be a good fit. With Giant I would look at the 18-18.5 medium frames. Personally I dont think you could go wrong with the Specialized bikes.

·
Gig'em Aggies!
257 Posts
You should also consider the Sette brand of frames. I have been hearing nothing but good things about them and they are cheap. Buying the frame new you would also have a 5 year warranty on it.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Parts that probably won't work:
Seatpost
Front Mech (at least I've never been that lucky)
Bottom bracket

Parts that might work:
Headset
Fork
Stem (the stem itself will work, but will it need to be longer or shorter?)

Most of the other parts should work with little or no problems.

JmZ

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
One can get one of those Giant Yukons complete, for a steal. Sell all the spare parts, and old frame, and still have a bike lightyears ahead of the ibex.
How does this help me get on a full suspension bike? BTW I'm completely happy with the Ibex Trophy Comp as a hard tail. It was an affordable hard tail with a nice line of parts. I just would like to go full suspension and getting a Yukon won't help.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to keep my eye out on the classifieds and ebay for a deal on a frame. How would I go about finding how long the steerer tube needs to be on the new frame for my existing fork to fit it, I don't see that spec on the frames I'm looking at.

Thanks.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Takedown said:
How does this help me get on a full suspension bike? BTW I'm completely happy with the Ibex Trophy Comp as a hard tail. It was an affordable hard tail with a nice line of parts. I just would like to go full suspension and getting a Yukon won't help.
This is the Yukon:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=529237

It's full suspension, so getting one would help you get on a FS frame. They are absolute steals, even without hookups, and rated very highly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I did some research, went to an LBS and checked out some bikes and then decided to order a Giant Trance X0 frame. If I've measured things properly it looks like the fork will work with some trimming / spacing and I think the bottom bracket is the same size. I got lucky in that I can remove the internal spacers in the Tora and go from 100mm to 130mm which should be perfect for the Trance (stock forks are 120-140 on that frame).

I'll pick up some new cables, front mech and seat post. Should be around $900 to go from hard tail to a nice FS bike, I can't complain :) Thanks for everyone's advice and help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts