Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all: great forum. Before I decided to buy mij IH MKIII I read several threads here, and of corse the pictures tread ;) I finally boaght a MKIII comp, and it is a perfect bike.
I didn't really fintune it yet though, and before starting the finetune of the rear suspension I would like to know if there is an optimum sag for the DW link suspension. I could find nothing in the user manual or the FAQ on the IH site.
Thank you very mutch in advance, HS

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
You might find these comments from Dave Weagle informative:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=424249&highlight=hollowpoint

_dw said:
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that the position sensitive anti-squat that the dw-link uses requires a rider to set a specific sag ... A rider can choose what they are comfortable with.

I've always been a strong proponent of setting suspension up with sag ... There is a difference in the dw-link being "designed" to run some specific range of sag, and "needing" to run a specific range of sag. You can run anything you want. dw-link's worst possible setup is typically better than most other's best possible setup.

Basically, if you are a more aggressive rider, I suggest running a little more sag, say 28-35%. If you are a more XC type rider, I suggest a little less sag, maybe 22-28%. We have been known to run DH bikes up to 40% sag for specific courses, although we are around 30-35% most of the time.

For me, I ride my Mojo, Pivot and MKiii all at 30 ish percent sag. That's my personal preference though. I might run more or less depending on where I lived.

You should run what feels comfortable for you. (but don't waste your traction by running les than 20%, that won't gain you anything at all)

Dave
Hope you find those comments helpful.

I experimented a lot on my '03 dw-link Hollowpoint, and found that less than 30% sucked (bobbed). I stuck with ~33%.

When I changed to an '05 MkIII, I didn't experiment across as wide a range, but settled in at ~1/3 travel and was quite happy climbing and descending.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,409 Posts
hotsnail said:
First of all: great forum. Before I decided to buy mij IH MKIII I read several threads here, and of corse the pictures tread ;) I finally boaght a MKIII comp, and it is a perfect bike.
I didn't really fintune it yet though, and before starting the finetune of the rear suspension I would like to know if there is an optimum sag for the DW link suspension. I could find nothing in the user manual or the FAQ on the IH site.
Thank you very mutch in advance, HS
On my `07 I run around 33%. I actually find less sag to bob more out of the saddle, and below ~28% I am bobbing in the saddle as well. In addition to the bobbing, in both cases the rear becomes less active (stiffens) under pedaling force. Around 33% is where the magic happens for me.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I run 30% and do fairly hard riding with drops and such like. I find that the air spring ramps up nicely at the end of travel (or is it a function of the DW link) such that to bottom the shock doesn't feel harsh and I only do it off of the worst hits. You should be using full travel, so bottoming every now and then is just fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I set it up to 30 - 33% sag and it rides super.
I started (before my queation here) at 25%, and than there was some bobbing when climbing. With sag at ~30% it seems to stiffen up when you put the pedal to the metal :D Love the ride for so far:thumbsup:

·
Advanced Slacker
15,409 Posts
hotsnail said:
I started....... at 25%, and than there was some bobbing when climbing. With sag at ~30% it seems to stiffen up when you put the pedal to the metal
Sorta counter-intuitive, isn't it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.