Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Slow Goat....
Joined
·
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that i am turning pro or anything. I am just a weekend warrior. I would like to do a few races a year. My bike is currently 28.1 lbs. I know this is not light. With reasonable $$ i can bring it down to 27.5 lbs. I have heavy tires on right now. I am wondering what others bike weights are, that are used in races. Am I still too heavy? Keeping in mind that it is just for fun. I haven't raced before...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,453 Posts
jamisdakar said:
Not that i am turning pro or anything. I am just a weekend warrior. I would like to do a few races a year. My bike is currently 28.1 lbs. I know this is not light. With reasonable $$ i can bring it down to 27.5 lbs. I have heavy tires on right now. I am wondering what others bike weights are, that are used in races. Am I still too heavy? Keeping in mind that it is just for fun. I haven't raced before...
For beginner or even sport class it's not too heavy. Sure lighter is nicer though.

I finished midpack in the one sport class race I did last year riding a 28.5 pound hardtail. First place rider beat me by 10 min. I would have done better if I didn't get a flat on my rear tire halfway thru the race. I can't wait to see how I do this year with a 25 pound fs. :thumbsup:
 

·
Slow Goat....
Joined
·
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, I didn't know if it was pig heavy or not.

I would be happy finishing somewhere in midpack. I'll work on getting it lighter during the season. I doubt i'll break the 27 barrier. My frame too heavy.

Thanks,..
 

·
rad to the power of sick
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
Dont worry about weight.

Racing is 99.9% heart and lungs. As long as your bike doesn't have square wheels or bricks attached to it then your fine.

Saving weight comes later when you know where you finish, what your strong points are and why you need to save weight.

Just get out there and hammer.

good luck!
 

·
No longer 26
Joined
·
3,090 Posts
Instead of weight, look for tires that have the best combo of low rolling resisance and enough grip to control turns at speed. Something like Schwalbe Racing Ralphs on the back and Nobby Nics on the front. I really like racing fatter tires as well. Used the 2.4" versions of these. Allowed a little lower pressure and better small bump performance.
Greg
 

·
just like a speeder-bike
Joined
·
329 Posts
jamisdakar said:
I am wondering what others bike weights are, that are used in races. Am I still too heavy? Keeping in mind that it is just for fun. I haven't raced before...
Some additional thoughts from a fellow 'new' racer (I've been riding for many years, but am just getting in to racing, and did a couple races last year):

I race on a 120mm travel Stumpjumer, about 27.5 lbs. Saw lots of people on hard tails that weighed much more (I think 30+ lbs) than my FS ride, and of course many fancier bikes that were lighter. (I managed to almost place second in a short track race -- but I crashed near the end, what a dork -- and place third in an XC race last year, so I guess I feel "competitive" in the beginner category even with the bike. I'll be moving to Sport class soon.)

Do I want a lighter race bike? You bet, but I'm not going to get serious about saving for one for at least a few years. Unsolicited advice: racing is really addictive, quite a rush. I was surprised how much I liked short track; I'm looking to try Super D and even some road races this year. So don't limit yourself to trying just one format -- go for it, and don't worry about your bike weight. Just tune 'er up and give it everything you've got. You will love it.
 

·
Slow Goat....
Joined
·
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What tires did you use?

Barkdog said:
Some additional thoughts from a fellow 'new' racer (I've been riding for many years, but am just getting in to racing, and did a couple races last year):

I race on a 120mm travel Stumpjumer, about 27.5 lbs. Saw lots of people on hard tails that weighed much more (I think 30+ lbs) than my FS ride, and of course many fancier bikes that were lighter. (I managed to almost place second in a short track race -- but I crashed near the end, what a dork -- and place third in an XC race last year, so I guess I feel "competitive" in the beginner category even with the bike. I'll be moving to Sport class soon.)

Do I want a lighter race bike? You bet, but I'm not going to get serious about saving for one for at least a few years. Unsolicited advice: racing is really addictive, quite a rush. I was surprised how much I liked short track; I'm looking to try Super D and even some road races this year. So don't limit yourself to trying just one format -- go for it, and don't worry about your bike weight. Just tune 'er up and give it everything you've got. You will love it.
I want somthing light, but not too light that I don't have any traction. I bought some tires that were supposed to be 2.1. When i put them on my rim it was more like 1.8-1.9.
What are some good 2.1 (actual) tires that are good for racing, but can also do regular trail rides.

Thanks,
 

·
just like a speeder-bike
Joined
·
329 Posts
jamisdakar said:
I want somthing light, but not too light that I don't have any traction. I bought some tires that were supposed to be 2.1. When i put them on my rim it was more like 1.8-1.9.
What are some good 2.1 (actual) tires that are good for racing, but can also do regular trail rides.

Thanks,
I love my Specialized Roll X tires (D2 Pro version). That's what I've raced with, but I use 'em for lots of trail riding too. Specialized syas they're "2.0," but in reality I think they're a good 2.1 -- great bump-absorbing volume (and much bigger, for example, than my so-called 2.1 Mythos IRC). They're great for just about everything but mud, and corner like a dream (which feels like insurance when racing). Not the lightest tire (I think around 590grams each) but worth it for my 195lb self.

FYI I've recently used Specialized's Adrenaline (now Resolution) 2.0 -- even bigger volume, but much slower than the Roll X. I'm currently using Nevegal 2.35's for trail riding, but I'd never race with those beasts. I'd search the Wheels and Tires forum for more advice.
 

·
Hike it or Bike it!
Joined
·
287 Posts
jamisdakar said:
I want somthing light, but not too light that I don't have any traction. I bought some tires that were supposed to be 2.1. When i put them on my rim it was more like 1.8-1.9.
What are some good 2.1 (actual) tires that are good for racing, but can also do regular trail rides.

Thanks,
WTB Nanoraptors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,964 Posts
Since you're asking, go with wheels and tires 1st bikewise. What will inevitably happen in this process is that you'll end up replacing everything attached to your frame!!! So, you may consider a new rig altogether is plausible.

How is your weight/size? Start with the engine!!!:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
jamisdakar said:
Not that i am turning pro or anything. I am just a weekend warrior. I would like to do a few races a year. My bike is currently 28.1 lbs. I know this is not light. With reasonable $$ i can bring it down to 27.5 lbs. I have heavy tires on right now. I am wondering what others bike weights are, that are used in races. Am I still too heavy? Keeping in mind that it is just for fun. I haven't raced before...
28 is not bad. Go for obvious weight reductions such as tires and seat (maybe).
But I wouldn't worry too much.
If you like the bike, then save up for a good set of wheels/tires. That will be most bang for buck.
 

·
Slow Goat....
Joined
·
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I weigh 173 lbs and 5' 10" tall.

ThrashNY said:
Since you're asking, go with wheels and tires 1st bikewise. What will inevitably happen in this process is that you'll end up replacing everything attached to your frame!!! So, you may consider a new rig altogether is plausible.

How is your weight/size? Start with the engine!!!:thumbsup:
I intend to get down to 165 lbs by dieting and riding. I don't have the funds right now so i am going to work with what i have.
 

·
Slow Goat....
Joined
·
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think i have a decent wheelset right now.

_hamilton said:
28 is not bad. Go for obvious weight reductions such as tires and seat (maybe).
But I wouldn't worry too much.
If you like the bike, then save up for a good set of wheels/tires. That will be most bang for buck.
I have WTB Laserlite with 317's . I don't know if i'll benefit anymore by going to a lighter wheelset. Cost vs. actual weight saved.
Like I have mentioned my frame is heavy at 6.5 lbs. I have a Jamis Dakar sport. I have Kenda 2.1 on in the rear and WTB Mutano raptor 2.4 in the front. Once I get some XC tires I should save near 1/2 lb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
jamisdakar said:
I have WTB Laserlite with 317's . I don't know if i'll benefit anymore by going to a lighter wheelset. Cost vs. actual weight saved.
Like I have mentioned my frame is heavy at 6.5 lbs. I have a Jamis Dakar sport. I have Kenda 2.1 on in the rear and WTB Mutano raptor 2.4 in the front. Once I get some XC tires I should save near 1/2 lb.
Good wheels. I would just worry about some tires and be done with it.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top