Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my wife's XC bike to better rims, but I can't figure out what width to get.
I use Schwalbe's Racing Ray and Rocket Ron on hardtails and am really happy with them, but unlike with Maxxis, I just can't find any information about suitable rim width on their website.
I feel like 30mm inner width rims might be too much for 2,25" tires, but DT Swiss (which is what I'm going for) only has 25 and 30mm available, and the current rims are 27mm. While 2mm difference is nothing, I just don't like the idea of going narrower.
The main question is twofold: does Schwalbe say anything about rim width, and what would you recommend in my situation? 25 or 30mm?

·
Registered
89 Posts
30mm rim is perfect for xc - gives more grip and allows lower pressures.
I have tested 2,25 ray and ralph on 30mm newmen rims. Works ok.
For example 2,35 racing ray on 35mm rims rolls badly and doesn't feel correct. But narrow 30mm rims are ok for at least 2,25 tires. :)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
One thing I can say from experience is that you don't wanna go too wide. Tyre becomes too square, sideknobs sit at the top of the profile and you essentially limit your lean angles. At least that's what I felt with a 2.35 Magic Mary on a 35mm inner width rim. It honestly felt better on my old 23mm before it got taco'ed.

On the other end, the Assegai 2.5 I have on the front now is perfect. Then I read it was specifically designed for 35mm rims and it all made sense. Perfect profile, very predictable behaviour.

For real XC use and a 2.25 tyre I think i25 will be perfect. I mean some DH athletes still ride their EX471's with 2.4-2.5in tyres. Narrower will also be lighter if we're taliking about the same models in 25 vs 30mm.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes 35mm is too wide for tires that are not designed for wide rim.
2,3 continentals and 2,35 schwalbes roll noticeably slower. But Maxxis 2,4WT and wolfpack 2,4" roll as good as they should but have more traction.

But we are talking 30mm here not 35.
30 is new normal - 25 is quite obsolete - I wouldn't buy one today.

And magic marys and lean angles is not really xc stuff :).

For example 2,3 sworks renegade and 30mm is killer combo in xc racing. Very good traction and rolling resistance and more comfort. 2,3 renegade on 25mm rim has significantly less traction.
30mm allows you to ride correct pressures (1,1 to 1,2atm) when tire starts to work properly.
25mm rim with same tire equals around 1,5atm.
And you need wide rim to prevent rolling in corners with low pressures.

It all comes down how much you weigh - wide rim is godsend for heavier rides. Lighter rider probably can get away with 27 or 28 but my wife is also very happy on 30mm 1300gr wheels. (couldn't remove them over her dead body :) )

·
Registered
15,292 Posts
The question does involve tires designed with a more rounded tread profile and higher volume. If you choose those tires you can go with the benefits of lower tire pressures and wider rims. This gives you a bigger footprint for traction climbing and cornering. Other tires labeled the same width get squared and are not as good at lower pressure on a wide rim. You give up traction because you need more pressure for that tire. Bontrager XR2 Team 2.2 and 2.35 are designed for wide rims. 30mm for the 2.2, ime. XR3 2.35 has larger outer tread blocks with the same tread as a XR2 for the rest of the tire.

·
Registered
Obsessively progressing
285 Posts
I feel like beyond roll, this has a lot to do with tire profile, as has been mentioned. If you flatten out a tire on a wide rim, where are the side knobs as you lean the bike? It's not something that can be boiled down to a 1-1 relationship

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
This is just my preference from my own experiences.

I had some Hans Dampf in 2.35 on some 30mm IW rims and I didn't like it. The wheel felt way too harsh to where they felt like they were pinging off every rock...the sidewall was also bowing out more than I like. I'm now using 2.6 on them. I also have some 25mm IW rims...on those I'm using 2.3. A lot will depend on the tire profile. If you stretch a tire onto a rim that's too wide...you run the risk of suddenly losing traction. You don't want your sideknobs to be flattened out.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If the OP really wants to stick with 2.25in tires then 25mm IW rims are appropriate. The comment about 25mm rims being obsolete, though, isn't entirely wrong. The reason is that so many new tires are being designed around 30mm and up rims. If the OP want to try newer wider tires (and the bike in question will fit them) then 30mm IW will provide a bit more flexibility.

FWIW I run 2.25-2.4" tires on a bike that won't fit anything bigger. The bike came with 30mm IW wheels that I later replaced with a 26mm IW set. All the tires I use ran just fine on both rim sizes.

·
Banned
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's my wife's XC bike I'm primarily talking about, there's no place for wider tires on that kind of bike.

Another thing I don't understand is what Maxxis expects people to use say Rekon on. It's specifically mentioned on the website it's wide tire, but it goes all the way from 2,2" to 2,6". How can that work?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I want to upgrade my wife's XC bike to better rims, but I can't figure out what width to get.
I use Schwalbe's Racing Ray and Rocket Ron on hardtails and am really happy with them, but unlike with Maxxis, I just can't find any information about suitable rim width on their website.
I feel like 30mm inner width rims might be too much for 2,25" tires, but DT Swiss (which is what I'm going for) only has 25 and 30mm available, and the current rims are 27mm. While 2mm difference is nothing, I just don't like the idea of going narrower.
The main question is twofold: does Schwalbe say anything about rim width, and what would you recommend in my situation? 25 or 30mm?
In general 2.25-2.5" tires will work good with 25-30 IW rims, but its also dependent which tire profile you gona use, some will be more roundish, some more squarish.
In your case, if you planing to use 2.25 Racing Ray and Rocket Ron, i would go with 25 IW.

·
Banned
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure after yesterday though. These two tires are not very terrain-friendly, I might start looking into alternatives with a little deeper profile. But does Schwalbe have anything like that? If I go with Maxxis, there's Rekon, which is even optimized for wide rims, but again, is it really in 2,25" variant?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not sure after yesterday though. These two tires are not very terrain-friendly, I might start looking into alternatives with a little deeper profile. But does Schwalbe have anything like that? If I go with Maxxis, there's Rekon, which is even optimized for wide rims, but again, is it really in 2,25" variant?
I run Rekons front and back on my single speed. 2.4’s on 28mm ID wheels. I run dissector front and rekon rear on my geared bike, 2.4’s on 27mm ID industry nine trail s wheels. I personally think 27-28mm ID wheels give the perfect profile on 2.4 tires. I would probably run 25mm ID wheels for XC racing if I were running a little narrower tire.

·
Registered
10,226 Posts
Question no one asked, are you replacing new rims to existing wheels or getting new wheels.
Love the comment about 25mm being obsolete, guess I'm old.
I run 24-2.5 front 2.3 rears. I went up to 30mm dropped to 27mm and if I ever get a new wheel set it'll be 27F 25R.

·
Banned
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think I answered that in the first post.
I will be replacing the rims with better ones, and after yesterday I think I want to get new tires more suitable for terrain as well (not wider though).

1 - 20 of 47 Posts