Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need a 21 or 22 inch frame that can take a beating. im 6'8" 250 lbs. not fat, just big. I had a Jamis Komodo but it was stolen. so now im looking for something with a more durable frame to ride urban/trails/parks. I know the cranks and stem arent really made for that kind of stuff. but i can change them at the dealer or when they break. and the fork too. ive liked konas for a while now but never picked one up because the 04s were sold out when it came time to buy. so hopefully ill get an 05.

Ive read all the reviews. but im looking for real people feedback now. Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
I bought an 18" Hoss earlier this summer and so far I really like it. I would have preferred a 19" frame (5'11", 210 lbs) but since they didn't make that size I opted to go smaller for nimbler handling rather than larger. It is a little small for climbing but it descends really well for me.

I replaced the forks with a set of '03 Zoke Z-1's (5 "), replaced the wheelset with one that a friend built for me, and changed the bars to an Easton Monkeybar. The bike is a lot of fun to ride, very moto-feeling. I like how it descends, overall it is a lot of fun.

I bought the bike because I liked the frame and wasn't too concerned with the parts figuring I would upgrade most of them soon anyways. But what really surprised me were the brakes. The Shimano cable actuated discs work surprisingly well. I won't be replacing those as quick as I thought I might be.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds cool . the 5 inch front fork didnt chane your geometry too much ? im looking for something like a 5 inch fork too. so if it works well for you ill probably be sold on the hoss. i loved it when i first saw it. but adding a 5 incher will make me happier

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think the fork did slack out the front end a little bit, making it a little worse on the climbs. But you can lock out the Z-1 when the fork is compressed to tighten up the geometry again. Everywhere else I didn't really notice any drawbacks to the addition of the fork. I think by adding a flatter, longer stem the climbing will improve. That will be my next upgrade. Back to the fork, I think the Z-1 made my Hoss a more comfortable descender without giving up much else in other areas.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that sounds good. i will be adding a short freeride stem to mine so the extra slack wont be too bad anyway i guess. but i dont really climb a whole lot anyway , id rather descend. and drop

·
Registered
293 Posts
One last thing about the frame: I am able to flex the rear end on short, out of the saddle, sawing-on-the-bars power climbs, which surprised me a little. I have a fairly wide 2.1 Tioga Factory DH on the back and in those power situations I can hear the knobbies buzzing on the chainstays. Again, those Tiogas don't leave very much clearance at all but still, I can get them to rub on the frame. Then again, most guys over 200 lbs will be able to flex most any frame in certain situations. Just something to think about. Good luck!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Uruk-hai said:
One last thing about the frame: I am able to flex the rear end on short, out of the saddle, sawing-on-the-bars power climbs, which surprised me a little. I have a fairly wide 2.1 Tioga Factory DH on the back and in those power situations I can hear the knobbies buzzing on the chainstays. Again, those Tiogas don't leave very much clearance at all but still, I can get them to rub on the frame. Then again, most guys over 200 lbs will be able to flex most any frame in certain situations. Just something to think about. Good luck!
Are you sure it wasn't the wheels?
I'm not trying to pass the blame, it's just that the Hoss frame is pretty beefy, and flexing the wheel would be easier than flexing the frame.
Just a shot in the dark...
Joe.

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
Agreed

Joe - Kona said:
I'm not trying to pass the blame, it's just that the Hoss frame is pretty beefy, and flexing the wheel would be easier than flexing the frame.
Joe.
I'm 6'5" 240-250 and test rode one and the rear was tight to say the least.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i think im pretty sold on the kona. it seems to be a pretty beefy bike (i would hope so at 33 lbs with all xc components). Ill definitely be changing to the Kona pedals in exchange for the clippies though. if i break something (which im fairly sure i wont) ill just have to upgrade or replace it. thats the way the ball rolls sometimes.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Joe - Kona said:
Joe.
I thought about that, too, and it could very well be the case. I know the QR is tightened down pretty hard but the whole wheel assembly could be flexing (36 spoke Rhyno Lites laced up to XT hubs). What could I do to tell for sure?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Uruk-hai said:
I thought about that, too, and it could very well be the case. I know the QR is tightened down pretty hard but the whole wheel assembly could be flexing (36 spoke Rhyno Lites laced up to XT hubs). What could I do to tell for sure?
Hm, those are pretty touch wheels...
If you grab the wheel in the frame and pull it one direction or another, and see if it moves. You could have lost some tension in the spokes, which is an easy fix.
Hope this helps,
Joe.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Joe - Kona said:
Hm, those are pretty touch wheels...
If you grab the wheel in the frame and pull it one direction or another, and see if it moves. You could have lost some tension in the spokes, which is an easy fix.
Hope this helps,
Joe.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Another personal observation I had was I was expecting a very harsh ride, coming from a steel hardtail. And with the Hoss' tubing I thought it would be even more so, but it hasn't been as bad as what I was expecting. So with that observation and with the knobbies buzzing the chainstay I was a little surprised, if indeed it is some flexing of the rear end. Like I said, it only does it in select situations, not complaining. Will check out the wheelset, though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Also considering the Hoss

My LBS has a pretty good deal on the Kona Hoss but unfortunately not the deelux. The only thing holding me back is the MZ Comp Fork. During my test ride it felt like a real pogo stick, although tightening down the pre-load helped. Othewise the kit: deore shifters and Shimano Mechanical Discs etc will meet my needs.

In my case I'm no Clydsdale, 5'7" and 155 lbs, but I am looking at this as more of a cross between an XC bike and a jump bike. I like to hit the trails but I like to have fun on the stunts and runs at the local ski hill. I could probably do okay with one of the XC bikes with a 100 mm fork, but I like the beefiness of the Hoss. I think the weight would adds a bit of stability for the downhill.

Anyone care to comment on the ability of the Hoss to climb ? The angles look right for getting back up the hill.

DB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.