Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 29er HT and these are a few I am interested in;

SRAM XX Motobecane Ti 29er

Salsa El Mariachi Ti X.9/X.0 29er Complete Bike (2011)

Niner M.C.R. 9 2X10 X.9 Signature Complete Bike (2011)

I am not too sure on the color scheme of the Niner @ speedgoat.

I weigh approx. 200lbs without gear, 31" bicycle inseam, 5' 8 1/2".
I seem to be sized with either Small or Med. with most specs.

I used to have a Trek 6000 17.5 " HT until it was stolen, so I would like to do a significant upgrade this time. I would appreciate all comments.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
When dropping this kind of coin, you certainly don't want to make the wrong decision. While the low prices of the internet might look great, if you get the wrong size or wrong set up then your really in trouble.

Also, are you capable of fixing the bike if it breaks? All things to consider for sure. Have you looked at a local bike store? You comment "I seem to be sized with either Small or Med. with most specs" leads me to believe that you should probably hit a local bike store and see what they have to offer for you.

If you don't get the service you think you need at the first one, find another. Fit and geometry is more important then what bling is dangling from the frame.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well to be quite honest, I bought my Trek from a LBS and I was a newb, he didn't take any measurements just looked at me and said a 17.5" would work for you, and I test rode a couple. Looking back the service wasn't that good. So now I just want more bike for my money, and if he could size me just looking at me....

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
reckless said:
Well to be quite honest, I bought my Trek from a LBS and I was a newb, he didn't take any measurements just looked at me and said a 17.5" would work for you, and I test rode a couple. Looking back the service wasn't that good. So now I just want more bike for my money, and if he could size me just looking at me....
Find yourself a new bike store:thumbsup:

Keep looking till you find one willing to spend some time with you to best determine the best bike for you. Granted, you may go through a few, but don't discount the value a good fitting will provide.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
reckless said:
I am looking for a 29er HT and these are a few I am interested in;

SRAM XX Motobecane Ti 29er

Salsa El Mariachi Ti X.9/X.0 29er Complete Bike (2011)

Niner M.C.R. 9 2X10 X.9 Signature Complete Bike (2011)

I am not too sure on the color scheme of the Niner @ speedgoat.

I weigh approx. 200lbs without gear, 31" bicycle inseam, 5' 8 1/2".
I seem to be sized with either Small or Med. with most specs.

I used to have a Trek 6000 17.5 " HT until it was stolen, so I would like to do a significant upgrade this time. I would appreciate all comments.

Thanks
Steve
Steve,

One of those bikes really stands out - and for a good reason. The new Salsa comes with the ability to run the tapered head tube fork with a tapered steerer and that build has such a fork that comes with a through axle to boot - all which will benefit the front end of the bike at holding a line and minimizing flex. Without even considering anything else about the other 2 bikes you listed, the TA fork and taper trumps the rest in terms of the Motorbecame and Niner.

As for the sizing - you are right on the point of being able to make either the S or the M work for you. Can you toss a leg over some bikes? The 11 degree sweep bar on the size M Salsa will certainly help make that frame fit well for you provided the stem length is correct. My fear on the size S would be that a bar with that much sweep might leave you feeling cramped (it also comes with shorter crank arms of 170mm for the size S). If your Trek 17.5" fit well, look up the size Medium (17.5") 6000 to see what all the measurements were to compare them to the S and M of the Salsa, Niner, etc... .

BB

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I emailed a LBS within 2 hr driving distance that deals in Niners and has been referred on this forum many times up here in Canada. I attached a pic of a MCR we currently have in stock, unfortunately it's a large.XT 10 s, xt brakes, xx fork with hydro lockout, stans 355 wheels…
We could do this build very close to $3000 + tax

So this is definitely an option for me also.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The norm

reckless said:
This "visual" fitting is what I have seen most of the time. Every once in a while, a bike shop might let you take a ride around the parking lot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.