Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, in spite of the fact that it is to late to do any good (Since I've already bought it). I was just wondering if those of you in the know would think that a 2009 RS 318 Tora (got a great price @215.00) would be a worthy replacement for a clapped out 2003 RS Psylo XC? This setup is going on my old bike (03 Trek Liquid) which is still a pretty good bike to use as a loner/spare.
When I bought the Liquid new I had to go to a stiffer spring right off in the Psylo. Has RS fixed their problems there or are their forks still severely undersprung?
There are zero reviews as of yet for the 09 318 Tora.
Thanks!
YZF571

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
YZF571 said:
Hello everyone, in spite of the fact that it is to late to do any good (Since I've already bought it). I was just wondering if those of you in the know would think that a 2009 RS 318 Tora (got a great price @215.00) would be a worthy replacement for a clapped out 2003 RS Psylo XC? This setup is going on my old bike (03 Trek Liquid) which is still a pretty good bike to use as a loner/spare.
When I bought the Liquid new I had to go to a stiffer spring right off in the Psylo. Has RS fixed their problems there or are their forks still severely undersprung?
There are zero reviews as of yet for the 09 318 Tora.
Thanks!
YZF571
IMHO, the Tora is a very nice fork for the price. Ive had a 06 Revelation and now a 08 Lyric and both have worked pretty, pretty good. I'm 230 lbs plus gear and I find them pretty good. I think you're good with the Tora.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
YZF571 said:
It's not a problem with the fork's spring, its a problem with your weight. You can buy a firmer spring for the tora.

They're excellent forks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe it is a problem with my weight @ 185#?. I always thought that it was foolish to put a Fork (the Psylo XC) with the lightest spring of 3 available, on a 21.5" bike. I suppose there are some 135 pounders riding 21.5" bikes but I would think that a bike that size would be spec'ed with at least a med stiff spring if not the black (stiffest) if for no other reason than just because of it's size. Although I guess Trek could have been responsible for that.
Any idea on how to determine what spring is stock on that 09 318 Tora, and what their weight ranges are forecasted to be?
Thanks either way.

YZF571

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
theres a 'medium' spring in the tora, which will feel great at first and may end up feeling too soft as the fork breaks in. 'Firm' may be what you end up sticking in there, there's also 'extra firm' but i rarely bottom it out and im quite a bit heavier than you.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Get the 2008 Tora 318 Solo Air from Cambria Bike ($209 with steel steerer, $224 with alloy steerer) and you won't have to worry about replacing a spring. It's not U-Turn, but you can set it in the 130mm setting with some minor work.

The Solo Air feels great and would be a nice match to the rear air shock on the Liquid

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oddly enough that is exactly what I had set out to do, however I had a 100.00 gift certificate from pricepoint so I called them for a price match. It turns out they had an add for the 2008 318 Tora for 249.98 when I asked them to match it, they went into the "check it out mode", it turns out the fork they had a photo of and had listed as a 2008 for 249.98 was actually a 2009. I found this out when I questioned why the fork was black. The CSR at pricepoint said he was certain the black one was the 08, and that Cambria had probably had a picture of an 07.
Anyway, he eventually called me back, said it was their mistake, and that the black one was in fact the 2009 and that he would sell me the 09 Tora 318 for the Cambria price of 215.00 as the 09 was an aluminum steer tube only. Anyway, that is why I ended up with the 09 318 Tora in the first place?
Have not been able to read any reviews on them yet though.
Any info on the 09 out their? Thanks.
YZF571

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.