Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm hopefully going to have my Truth built up by next month, and am trying to pick what brakes to go with. I like the Marta SL's, Hayes HFX-Mag Plus , and maybe the Avid Juicys. This is purley for XC use and my first set of discs on a bicycle. Let me have some pros / cons and comments / complaints on these things. Thanks!

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
Marta's

Treybiker said:
Ok, I'm hopefully going to have my Truth built up by next month, and am trying to pick what brakes to go with. I like the Marta SL's, Hayes HFX-Mag Plus , and maybe the Avid Juicys. This is purley for XC use and my first set of discs on a bicycle. Let me have some pros / cons and comments / complaints on these things. Thanks!
If you want a lightweight XC disc brake that has decent stopping power, get the Margura Marta's. I have a set on my NRS and they are a very good disc brake. They are lightweight, look cool (wavy rotors), modulation is good, and stopping power is adequate. Be forewarned, however, that Magura's can be finicky -- if you don't get them set up properly, they will give you problems. As with any disc brake, installation is key.

From what I understand, the "best" disc brake in terms of braking power and durability are the Hayes brakes. They are quite a bit heavier than the Marta's, but stopping power and modulation are better. The Hayes also have a reputation for being damn bulletproof.

In the end I chose the Marta's because I am not a heavy person (150lbs), ride mainly XC (not downhill, although the Magura's have performed admirably in Flagstaff, AZ), and wanted a very light brake.

Thx...Doug

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the Hope Mono Mini's

They have been great for me. Excellent power, modulation and so far quiet and trouble free. I don't know if the other disk brakes I have riden were set up properly, but modulation on my Hope's seemed better than Hayes(old set), Juicy 7's, and XT but just as powerful as Hayes and Juicy 7's and more powerful than XT on very limited riding.( no extended downhills). No fade on the Hopes on long downhills and I am only running a 160mm rotor on front.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
I'm using XTR discs and I like them. Kinda fixed the sticky piston syndrome they experience ( no drag in the last 4 rides ) and they work good but if I could've gotten a 203 rotor for the front instead of the 165 I would've. I just like having more braking then not enough but I do get enough out of them.

I dont know what the calipers on the marta sl's weight but the XTR's are 95grams each. You can use them with hope levers too with the right seal kit for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.