1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 Y-11 was stolen out of the garage last night ..:madmax:

So I'm going ot look at this one today its a 2005 Trek Fuel 80

Upgrades;

FOX FORX: fox vanilla RLC (rear shock is adjustable rock shox)
Mavic 717 wheel set with shimano XTR hubs
eastman carbon fiber handlebar
bontrager race cranks
Ritchy composite neck
Summit seat

He's asking $800 for it, thoughts? suggestions? Is it a good deal?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Well, the Fuel suspension will be a significant upgrade over the Y-bike

The stock Fuel 80 went for $1400 in 2005...but it looks like some significant upgrades have been made with the Fork and Wheelset

$800 isn't a smoking deal, but its fair if the bike and drivetrain are in good shape (they appear to be from the pictures)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
Well, the Fuel suspension will be a significant upgrade over the Y-bike

The stock Fuel 80 went for $1400 in 2005...but it looks like some significant upgrades have been made with the Fork and Wheelset

$800 isn't a smoking deal, but its fair if the bike and drivetrain are in good shape (they appear to be from the pictures)
Thanks. What should I look for in terms of the drivetrains condition? Any specific problems with this model?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Check The Frame

Fuels and Sugars are known to have frame failures. They ussually were due to the flexing stays causing the rear triangle to fail. Check the Chain stay bridge very closely for any cracks (I had 2 sugars fail me here). Also check all the bonded/welded joints on the rear triangle. If everything looks good have fun. If you see any cracks, walk away.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Saw a few Sugar failures...mostly at the main pivot at the shop I worked for that sold Trek/GF/Lemond/Klein. Never saw the same failure in the Fuels, not to say it couldn't happen.

Check the drivetrain by riding it and try all different gear combinations. Push down hard on the pedals and see if the chain slips. Visually look at the chainrings, especially the middle one, and look for "shark fin" shaped teeth. You can also measure for chain stretch, using a ruler or tape measure. Measure from a chain pin 12". A new chain will have a pin at 12"...a worn one will be past 12 1/8"

·
Registered
977 Posts
My buddy has one. He likes it well, but it has suffered from some major cable rub (he didn't catch it in time) by the top tube/seat tube junction. I'm guessing the seller fixed this by using the zip tie...still, you might want to look. On my buddy's bike it's nearly worn through the frame.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lelandjt said:
I was gonna say it's worth $900 if the drivetrain is in like new condition. Remember the look at the cassette cogs for "mushed" sharkfin teeth as well.
There was some minor wearing on the cogs, through the middle ranges and they did look like shark teeth .... It semed to shift OK.

The brake cables were held on the front and back forks by zip ties.

The front wheel was catching real bad on the disc brake pads, wouldn't even turn one rotation before catching. Is that just a tune up issue? That cable was extra taught.

I offerred $700 and he said ok, picking it up tomorrow unless y'all think I should pass.

What are all these issues going to cost me?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Probably less than the $100 you talked him down

-Cogs have multi profiled teeth, so it could be wear or it could be the profiling...but new cassettes start at $30 (you can pay alot more to save weight but they'll shift similar to the $30 cassette). Figure a new chain if you replace the cassette...$20-30

-Assuming there are no other issues with the front brake (like a sticking piston), its a very simple adjustment on the front brake, just realigning the caliper. Even with a sticking piston, it can be repaired for under $50 at a shop (a piston kit costs about $10, its the labor that costs more).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
Probably less than the $100 you talked him down

-Cogs have multi profiled teeth, so it could be wear or it could be the profiling...but new cassettes start at $30 (you can pay alot more to save weight but they'll shift similar to the $30 cassette). Figure a new chain if you replace the cassette...$20-30

-Assuming there are no other issues with the front brake (like a sticking piston), its a very simple adjustment on the front brake, just realigning the caliper. Even with a sticking piston, it can be repaired for under $50 at a shop (a piston kit costs about $10, its the labor that costs more).
Thanks again, looks like a decent deal. Frame had no cracks, and the chain was right at 12'' fron link to link. He said its been just sitting in his garage for like 6 months. I'll take it in for a tune up tomorrow after I pick it up.

I need to learn how to do these repairs on my own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.