Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I fully understand the obvious benefits of a 20mm. axle, such added stiffness and strength, I would like to know why people find it advantageous. Let me first off say that I have not ridden with one. I have a long travel trail/AM bike with a 145mm. Nixon Super on the front and I find the QR adequate for my type of riding, which is fairly rocky trails in North Jersey. At 220lbs. I am no light weight and the fork takes a pounding but I don't go very big. I guess what I don't understand is that many, if not most riders who do big stuff are riding on a rear axle which is a conventional QR. It is my impression that the back is taking more of a pounding than the front, especially when I'm going downhill on rough terrain hanging off the back. I guess what I'm getting at is justification for replacing the fork with a through axle and the added cost of rebuilding the wheel with a new hub. If you already have a fork which feels really stiff, is there any real world advantage to having a through axle.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Necessary? No. Preferred? Yes. If you do not have the need to take your front wheel on and off, a 20 mm hub has so much more benefits at a minimal weight gain - if you're into that, which I'm not. Ridgid and less wheel deflection.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Master Nameless said:
Necessary? No. Preferred? Yes. If you do not have the need to take your front wheel on and off, a 20 mm hub has so much more benefits at a minimal weight gain - if you're into that, which I'm not. Ridgid and less wheel deflection.
Agreed. Its one of those things where you don't think you need one until you try it, and then you can't seem to do without. :rolleyes: The inconvenience isn't a big deal for me, though it might suck if you have a fork mount car rack. I have uprights, so no problem there. Weight gain is negligable, especially on an AM/ FR/ DH bike. Stiffness gain is huge.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Master Nameless said:
The fork industry is designing new devices to make it easier to remove the front wheel on 20mm hubs, like RS Maxxle and Marzocchi QR20. I'm getting one (the Marzocchi) and I have to remove the wheel each time, but I think that system is good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.