Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been eyeing these two for a while now but would like to hear from some owners...i freeride with some downhill. I have been mostly looking at these two but if you recommend any other freeride/dh bikes for close to or under 3000 dollars that would be great. I would most likely put a dual crown fork on whichever bike i decide to get for the stiffness (probably a 888). sorry for the "open" questions...

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I ride a 7point (with 8" 888 and Roco) and I'm VERY happy with it. Check over on the IH forum for more opinions of the 7points.

toby

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'm on a 7Point3 (888RC / Roco combo) and I haven't ridden a Dirtbag, just to preface my post.

You'll definitely find people who love both bikes, plenty of them. You'll be able to hit drops, jumps, rocks and everything else just fine on either. I don't like the feel of faux-bar bikes but I won't get into it. That said I would tell you to go with what I went with if you want the most bang for your buck: a 7Point3 w/upgrade shock and fork.

Here's why... Right now you can get a 06 7Point3 for about $1450 @Performance/Go-Ride/RSCycle out the door. Ditch the shock and fork (sell em to a grom for $100 each) and buy a 05 888RC from Cambriabike.com for $575-ish and a Roco for $300-ish. From there you'll have a bike that is 64.5-66 degree head angle (slack enough), low enough for DH without being a hassle for FR, and quite fast. All told about $2200 after you pay taxes and whatnot. Ride the hell out of it and replace the heavier/weaker parts in the spec as they break.

The Dirtbag is nice but you really can't top the 7Point for value. The 07 7Points are 1.5 pounds lighter in the frame if that matters to you, but you'll end up paying about $500 for that and the better components. BUT even that will be cheaper than a new Dirtbag with a 888/Roco.

EDIT: If you're interested there's a 05 7Point7 for sale by someone on the IH board. If you're <5'8" I would take a look at it (it's a small) since he's only asking $1600, it looks pretty mint, and it's BLACK. Mmm, black.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't think that the 07 Dirtbag is heavier than the 7Point frame. Both are around 10.2 to 10.5 lbs with shock. (as far as I found out)

The real problem with the Ironhorses is that you can't buy a frame separately.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hot Butter Topping said:
I'm on a 7Point3 (888RC / Roco combo) and I haven't ridden a Dirtbag, just to preface my post.

You'll definitely find people who love both bikes, plenty of them. You'll be able to hit drops, jumps, rocks and everything else just fine on either. I don't like the feel of faux-bar bikes but I won't get into it. That said I would tell you to go with what I went with if you want the most bang for your buck: a 7Point3 w/upgrade shock and fork.
As a DB owner, I'll chime in. Transition's customer service is excellent. Their bikes are bombpoof and the Dirt Bag is a great riding bike. While HBT has a good idea about the 7point here are some hard numbers on the DB: Adrenanline bikes has the base spec'ed DB for $1,659.00. Then add the $135 for rocco upgrade (if you want a rocco) and another $350 for an 888RC2. Thats $2144 for a bike that comes to your door exactly how you want it.

I've had my DB for 3 years and its been worry free and a joy to ride. It also gets many compliments and questions.

http://www.adrenalinebikes.com/stor...=0&categoryname=BIKES: MOUNTAIN BIKES ON SALE

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,469 Posts
firevsh2o said:
I don't think that the 07 Dirtbag is heavier than the 7Point frame. Both are around 10.2 to 10.5 lbs with shock. (as far as I found out)

The real problem with the Ironhorses is that you can't buy a frame separately.
You can, the '07 is $1600 w/ a dhx5 coil.

The DB sounds like a great deal for the $$$.

·
Stand back
4,211 Posts
The 7 point is a great bike. I miss mine.
It pedaled/ climbed at least as well as my Titus Switchblade. I doubt the same could be said for the DB.

·
Hard as nails
1,008 Posts
dbabuser said:
The 7 point is a great bike. I miss mine.
It pedaled/ climbed at least as well as my Titus Switchblade. I doubt the same could be said for the DB.
The 7 point may very well be a well made bike - but I do not think the original poster is primarily focused on a great climbing steed - as far as a tough as nails Freeride/DH bike, you it will very hard to beat the DB:thumbsup: With that said, the DB is quite capable of performing very tough climbs, trick out the sweetest drops and jumps, and totally lay it out on the DH with reckless abandon - I know b/c I do it all the time. Sure its not a mtn goat by any means - but it can certainly hold its own against the 7 point in the climbing category - they are both beast and will require much muscle and stamina to get it up any tough hill.;)

TBC = Great Small Company where you get to deal with the owners straight up...

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,469 Posts
Dirtman said:
The 7 point may very well be a well made bike - but I do not think the original poster is primarily focused on a great climbing steed - as far as a tough as nails Freeride/DH bike, you it will very hard to beat the DB:thumbsup: With that said, the DB is quite capable of performing very tough climbs, trick out the sweetest drops and jumps, and totally lay it out on the DH with reckless abandon - I know b/c I do it all the time. Sure its not a mtn goat by any means - but it can certainly hold its own against the 7 point in the climbing category - they are both beast and will require much muscle and stamina to get it up any tough hill.;)

TBC = Great Small Company where you get to deal with the owners straight up...
Have you been on both bikes? The faux bars I've ridden and the one I currently own cannot pedal like a 7Point. Not even close.

·
Hard as nails
1,008 Posts
davec113 said:
Have you been on both bikes? The faux bars I've ridden and the one I currently own cannot pedal like a 7Point. Not even close.
I have ridden both, one of the guys I ride with has one that I have made a few revolutions with the cranks. I like the bike. Keep in my Faux bar etc..., today with proper shock set up the majority of pedal induced bob is very minimal when seating. Standing is another story, both hey all bike will compress when standing and pedalling:p No dis on the 7 point, its just that the difference in pedalling efficiency between the two bike give proper shock set up is not even worth mentioning, unless of course your racing - that's another ball wax...:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
The adrenalinebikes "Factory-spec bike" for the Dirtbag doesn't show what the build is. And then if you look at the Transition site, the factory spec is priced way too much compared to adrenaline's. So I doubt they're the same build. I think based on the price, best bang for the buck would be the 7.3. Specs on the 7.3 looks good. And besides, DW-link vs. four bar w/o Horst link? I'd go with the DW-link...

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,469 Posts
Dirtman said:
I have ridden both, one of the guys I ride with has one that I have made a few revolutions with the cranks. I like the bike. Keep in my Faux bar etc..., today with proper shock set up the majority of pedal induced bob is very minimal when seating. Standing is another story, both hey all bike will compress when standing and pedalling:p No dis on the 7 point, its just that the difference in pedalling efficiency between the two bike give proper shock set up is not even worth mentioning, unless of course your racing - that's another ball wax...:)
Yeah, I keep the platform minimal, bob isnt an issue seated, but it sags alot and wallows in the travel going uphill. The 7Pt seems like it doest sag into its travel as much while pedaling uphill, which makes it easier. It doesnt bob much while standing and platform isnt really needed... But youre right that no big bike is going to be a great hill climber...

·
Registered
655 Posts
I think the comment about the way the 7Point climbs was perhaps an abbreviated version of "they both descend well but the 7Point climbs better and pedals better". But I could be wrong. I mean, who the hell cares how it climbs? Not someone on a bike with a 888.

Don't let that comment let anyone get the wrong idea. The 7Point is shockingly fast with the right fork/shock and 35% sag. This past season all it took was one full-tilt test ride on my (then) 66RC2x/Metel setup 7Point for my very fast buddy to ditch his Yeti ASX and switch to the "Dick's Sporting Goods Special" Iron Horse. Another friend cracked his Haro at Diablo, rented a Sunday for a couple hours, then rode another friend's V10 and my 7Point the following day. In the end he asked if he could buy my 7Point frame early next season (I'm selling it and getting a smaller size 7Point).

There's no shortage of people who are blown away by the 7Point's ability to totally pin it but still pedal, still climb if you really need to, and still hit drops and jumps without ever bottoming.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
No contest
I have a good friend who rides a 7 and i have a DB. He says he would trade his bike for mine in a minute. i have extensive time on both and the DB feels so much better and carries more speed. plus the owners i know on a personal level and are great to deal with.

TBC all the way

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nice dirtbag

have you upgraded any of the parts?
also, is your friends 7point an 07 model...thats the one im looking at and i hear IH has made some great improvements on previous years' models

·
Registered
655 Posts
No one has the 07 7Points yet. Won't be around until Thanksgiving.

The parts spec on the 07 7Point3 is a lot better than in 06 (better wheels, brakes, tires, and cranks/bb, shock and fork) and the frame is 1.5 pounds lighter. As I mentioned above, I'm selling my 06 and getting an 07 only because the price of a new 07 7.3 will be about $400 more than the frameset/shock, and I'll swap the stuff over that I'm keeping (shock/fork/misc bits) and keep the rest of the parts for spares during the season. After selling the fork/shock off the new 7.3 I should have upgraded my frame and a bunch of components for less than just getting a new frame.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts