Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am always looking for ways to improve my ride. My wheels are basically brand new and there is nothing wrong with them. They are the Sun Rhino Lite Rims with Deore Hubs. So basically they are cheap and heavy and I want something lighter. I was looking at the Pure XCR custom wheels at bicycle wheel warehouse. Wondering what these wheels would compare to, and what people think about them.

Is there a huge difference between the more expensive XCR hubs, and the standard XT? Are they worth the price. I am basically looking for the lightest, and strongest disc specific wheels with 6 bolt hubs.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Dremer03 said:
I was looking at the Pure XCR custom wheels at bicycle wheel warehouse. Wondering what these wheels would compare to, and what people think about them.

Is there a huge difference between the more expensive XCR hubs, and the standard XT? Are they worth the price. I am basically looking for the lightest, and strongest disc specific wheels with 6 bolt hubs.
It's tough for me to answer your question but I can offer some info that's been written about BWW Pure XCR hubs. I did an advanced search and found this info by me from a few months ago.

Here as well as here too.

·
Registered
926 Posts
XCR's are lighter then the XT's based on what BWW website shows. I recently bought a set with the XCR hubs and thus far like them. I've not gotten many miles on them since they've arrived due to bad weather. But they sure look nice..:D

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to sound odd:skep: but are the hubs loud? I cant hear my Deore Hubs on the Trail, always makes me envious of my friends Reynolds Wheels with Reynolds Hubs.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Dremer03 said:
hmm, are there other options that would be under the 400 dollar price?
These should meet all of you needs.

Under $400
Should be a lot lighter than your current wheelset
super loud cool sounding hubs.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15900

What type of riding do you do? If you do more XC riding you can go even lighter for the same price.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18789

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40778

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ Perhaps I should mention I am in the USA, unless there shipping is cheap International those are not possible. Any similar wheels in the US?

I ride XC, and the wheels need to be quick release. Think Light, Disc only, nice soundsing hubs, and it does not hurt to be colorful.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Dremer03 said:
^ Perhaps I should mention I am in the USA, unless there shipping is cheap International those are not possible. Any similar wheels in the US?

I ride XC, and the wheels need to be quick release. Think Light, Disc only, nice soundsing hubs, and it does not hurt to be colorful.
Shipping is free. They come quck release, but can be converted to what ever you want.

The Hopes with the 355 rims weigh 1,738 g. Your not going to find a lighter wheelset unless you spend a lot more money

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
denjen said:
Did a little seaching for you

Here is your current wheelset
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH707A17-Shimano+Deore+Discrhyno+Lite+Wheelset.aspx

They weigh 2470grams
The hopes with the 355 rims weigh 1,738
Thats a 732 gram or 25.8 ounce weight savings
Wow over a 1.5 pounds that pretty nice.

Thanks for pointing out they ship free to the US. I did a price conversion and they end up being just about the same as the Custom Pure XCR...so which set is better? Other options?

I wont be purchasing for a few months but I want a good idea of how much money I want to save to get them before next riding season...stupid snow.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jason B. said:
I've been riding a set for about 8 months now and they are still going strong. Nice and light.

Those look nice I was thinking of doing the same color scheme. My frame is black and white, white fork, red saddle, and red grips. So I was considering Red Hubs, Black Spokes, White Wheels.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Dremer03 said:

Thanks for pointing out they ship free to the US. I did a price conversion and they end up being just about the same as the Custom Pure XCR...so which set is better? Other options?

I wont be purchasing for a few months but I want a good idea of how much money I want to save to get them before next riding season...stupid snow.
Dont let the snow stop you , get out and ride . You would be happy with either set of wheels , they are both good choises . :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Dremer03 said:

I don't know anything about the Pure hubs, but I've done a ton of research on the hopes.

Couple things about the hopes
1- they are lighter, or nearly as light as any hub out there.
2- Very user friendly. There is a video on their site that shows complete maintenance of the hub.
3- Front and rear hubs can be converted to any thing you want.
4- Parts are readily available.

I just ordered a set last weekend cant wait for them to get here

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AZ.MTNS said:
Dont let the snow stop you , get out and ride . You would be happy with either set of wheels , they are both good choises . :)
yeah, its like 2 degrees here, and I lack really good cold weather gear. Perhaps if its a nice day I can hit the side walk or bike path, but that might be about it.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Keep in mind that with either the BWW or Hope hubs, you will need to run a cassette with an alloy carrier such as XT, XTR, or SRAM PG990 (980 has an alloy carrier on the three biggest cogs, not really enough) because of the alloy FH body. If you don't currently have one of these cassettes, factor in the price (I've seen PG990 cassettes on sale for ~$65) to your $400 budget.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^I have a PG990, but thanks for the facts because I might not have. Oddly most of the stuff on my bike is pretty much on the expensive side, thats why I want the wheels to get my now 26 pound bike even lighter. I just lost 2 pounds just changing the fork.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.