Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying some U-turn Pikes for my 03 5 Spot. Does anyone know if there's any significant differences from the 06 to 07 air u-turn models. (I can save a fair bit of cash on the 06 model.
There's also only 0.3lb weight saving on the air vs. the coils. again I'd like opinions on advantages/disadvantages of each. I've had 32 Talas on the spot since new and having ridden a pair of vanillas a couple of times really noticed the extra plushness of the coil, but I appreciate the travel adjustability more. I'm wondering if the same applies to the coil Pikes and would sacrifice the weight if this was the case.
I know theres a lot of threads on here about Pikes and 5 spots, but can't seem to find much opinion on the above

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hi spyke,
Get the 06 if they save you money the 07 have a different (360) Maxle that can be positioned at any angle(I can't see any other changes) the air U turns are great and I find them better than the coil as they are more setup options.

Sorry I didn't get back to you with the RP3 I have sold it now.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Pike rule

I have an 04 five spot with an 06 pike. The Pike is a a great fork. The maxel works perfect. I had a vanilla on my bike before and the pike is a huge upgrade. It inspires confidence on decents(thru axle) and climbs better when dropped down then the van. It might not be as supple on small hits as the coil but its close. I have an rp3 on the rear and they work great together. You will not be sorry with the fork
BSG

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks lads - that's my mind made up then - 06 air U-turns it is
Prof - not to worry about the RP3 - I bought Pushed RP3 for £220 from TFTuned (had been on an MBUK 5 spot as a test) - has been a geat shock

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
I actually just picked up an '05 Pike dual air Race...what's the difference between the Race and the newer units with the numbers, 360 Maxle aside? Does the Race equal one of the numbers (426, 454 etc).

thanks!

RJ

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
tozovr said:
I actually just picked up an '05 Pike dual air Race...what's the difference between the Race and the newer units with the numbers, 360 Maxle aside? Does the Race equal one of the numbers (426, 454 etc).

thanks!

RJ
The Race was the middle model, equivalent to the 426, the biggest difference are the aluminim dials on the top and Maxle 360 when compared to the 2007 models...

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
The 06 454 Air will not dissapoiint you, am loving mine, it has gone really well. Loads of tuning possibilites.... As above, the 360 deg Maxel is the only difference to the 07... Enjoy

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
AndrewQ said:
And some early 07's didn't ship with the 360 Maxle, like they're supposed to. Mine came with a regular maxle.
Maybe it was a 07-relabeled-at-factory model, since the only diff between 06 and 07 is the 360.... anyway.. you have an awesome fork!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got the fork at the weekend (plus put some 06 rockers on as well). Only ridden for a couple of hours, but its given the bike a new lease of life already! Have had a problem with getting the maxle to fit the XLs hub, but a bit of filing has done the trick.
and the old Talas, are now on my hardtail as a free upgrade over some malfunctioning MX comps.
Looking forward to some proper riding this weekend!

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
spyke said:
got the fork at the weekend (plus put some 06 rockers on as well). Only ridden for a couple of hours, but its given the bike a new lease of life already! Have had a problem with getting the maxle to fit the XLs hub, but a bit of filing has done the trick.
and the old Talas, are now on my hardtail as a free upgrade over some malfunctioning MX comps.
Sweet... but...where are the pics of the new setup? ;)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
spyke said:
Nice.

Whenever you get around do it, I would recommend checking the factory oil height and making sure its spot on. Also, when you have the lowers off, I found I could get the fork to be a little more supple by packing suspension grease (like Prep M or it's Motorex equivalent) under the dust wipers. In addition to that last little bit of lubricant, it acts as a debris catcher, although I'm not sure how necessary that is given the excellent performance I have seen from those seals.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah, check the oil

Good point about the oil level from the factory. Mine was underfilled, and damping seems better now, though it was a subtle difference. Make sure you have a syringe or another accurate way to measure oil level before you take yours apart. Its not like a motorcycle where there's enough oil volume that you can measure with a tape measure. :skep:

Every time I open up those forks I am amazed at how clean the oil looks. The Pike just doesn't seem dirty up its oil. Weird.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.