Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

i have read almost all reviews on the stuff below.
first ss first 29er and i do not have alot of knowledge about bikes so go easy on me.

i'm 5'8 (30" inseam) 180lbs. XC rider in Flagstaff AZ. trails are obviously technical w/ lots of steep quick significant elevation gain climbing etc. i seem to be pretty abusive to my current fs geared bike.
priorities are:
1-strong/durable-performance
2-weight
3-cost

frame Soma Juice -bent top tube for short guy
fork Reba -price and heard good stuff
headset CK
stem Thomson Elite
handbars Easton Monkey Lite
brakes Hayes HFX 9
crnk/bb Truvativ Stylo SS GXP
cog Kick Ass -wide inner splines
chain KMC 410MP
rims DT Swiss TK 7.1
hubs DT Swiss 340 -rear w/ freehub for possible 1X9 later

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Great build. I don't think too many people would disagree with any of your components. When you get it built you must post pics. What tires will you run in that terrain? I am using Rampages. Good tire.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not sure still pondering- maybe wtb somethings?

EDDIE JONES said:
Great build. I don't think too many people would disagree with any of your components. When you get it built you must post pics. What tires will you run in that terrain? I am using Rampages. Good tire.
why did u choose Rampages?

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
I chose Rampages because it appeared to be a higher volume tire than what was commonly available for 29ers at the time. Being a clyde, I liked that. Also a few of the posters on the forum had tried them and were impressed with the grip and the low rolling resistance. Since putting them on I have ridden in just about every condition (well, no snow or ice. we don't get much of that in Alabama). They hook up great. Check with Shiggy (The High Lord of Rolling Rubber). I think he checked them out extensively and liked them. He is the go-to guy for a lot of people on this forum. He will not steer you wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
total price? i've been too afraid to figure out

i bought my current fs geared bike last year from Adrenaline bikes. they are either automatically cheaper or will price match. they gave me really good cust. serv. with many issues i have had. they sent me a free/ freehub with no questions asked when they really weren't obligated. Gabriel is very knowledgeable and patient.
i'm getting the small 16" -short legs.
i changed my mind on the carbon bars- going w/ alu.
ordering it wednesday- i'll post price in about 10 days- i won't have internet access

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Seems like a good strong build, only part I might question are the brakes. I am hesitant about the brakes because they are still only single piston brakes - they only move one pad to press the rotor against the other pad, both pads do not get pressed onto the rotor. I had some Hayes so1e OEM's and they worked and had thought about going to the HFX-9's but decided to go the "whole hog" so to speak and get the HOPE Mono Mini's and am glad I did, 'cause a few months down the line my riding buddy got a Fuel EX7 w/ the HFX-9's and I found out that they were in fact still only single piston same as the so1e, just slightly stronger.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
thisiswitty,
Sounds like a great build! I am 5'7" and around 30" inseam. You will have MANY frame options for sure. I was nervous of the fit but they work well for us little guys too!!:thumbsup: Eddie Jones is right about the Rampage, you might like the Specialized Ressolution as well, 2.3 and very fast for what it is!! You also might consider a rigid fork. It sounds worse than it really is as having the big wheels will absorb a good amout of bumps on its own. At the price of the reba you could get a good ti fork that would feel like it had just enough travel and a lot less of the weight, if you can't be swayed by the thought of rigid I too think the reba is a great choice!! Good luck and have fun with the project!!:thumbsup:

·
hispanic mechanic
2,696 Posts
Me too!

I'll agree with everyone, this sounds like a solid build. I'm also gonna agree with the recommendation of the Rampages. Really great tire on rocky, technical, and all-around nasty terrain.
As far as the brakes go, I'm not terribly impressed with the HFX-9s either. Not necessarily because they're single piston (the Avid mech brakes are the same way, as are a lot of motorized-vehicle brakes, and they work fine,) but more from a manufacturing standpoint. I've seen quite a few (mostly OEM) HFX-9s leak right out of the box, due to poor tolerances.
Check out the Shimano hydros.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Los

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'll second the thoughts on the Hayes brakes. Not a brake expert by any means, but I have bikes with both the HFX9 and the Avid Juicy 7 and the Avids are significantly better from both a modulation and stopping power standpoint. I have been lucky to not have any leaks w/ my Hayes. The levers on the Avids are also much more comfortable to me and far more adjustable as well, though I know there are a lot of folks that love Hayes levers...

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
I’ve had poor luck with all the big tires on Tk7.1s I’m totally convinced those DT rims are undersized. I have a hard time getting the bigger tires on them because the tire wants fall of the rim before the tube is inflated. I don’t have this issue with the same tires on Delgado Disc, WTB Speeddisc, or Delgado Cross rims. This past Saturday I rolled 2 Weirwolfs of my TK7.1s one of the times it caused a fairly bad crash. Personally I wouldn’t recommend those rims with the intention of using them with big tires.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Endomaniac said:
I've had poor lock with all the big tires on Tk7.1s I'm totally convinced those DT rims are undersized. I have a hard time betting the bigger tires on them because the tire wants fall of the rim before the tube is inflated. I don't have this issue with the same tires on Delgado Disc, WTB Speeddisc, or aDelgado Cross rims. This past Saturday I rolled 2 Weirwolfs of my TK7.1s one of the time it caused a fairly bad crash. Personally I wouldn't recommend those rims with the intention of using them with big tires.
are yours the tk7.1 disc version? I've had no problems at all and haven't heard of this as an issue, but I run the older rim brake version. lot's of people run this rim and I'm sure will chime in here.

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
burner said:
are yours the tk7.1 disc version? I've had no problems at all and haven't heard of this as an issue, but I run the older rim brake version. lot's of people run this rim and I'm sure will chime in here.
I roll on the rim-break sidewall version. Its my understanding the disc version is the same thing without the sidewalls being machined down. I know it's a popular rim, and I know other people who feel the same as me about the rim but I have never seen it discussed on this board. My wife has some Velocity rims with the same issue.

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,170 Posts
I highly recommend the Specialized Resolutions, Absolute Bikes has them. They ROCK for all of the N. Az rides.

Scoty

·
Registered
180 Posts
There have been some complaints of too much movement in the BB on the Juice during SSing. I can't say that I've noticed it and I've got a few lbs. on you, but mine has been SS for a short time as an experiment and I'm not as observant as some on here. You might try searching for juice and BB or something to see if you can find who made the comments and get more info. Other than this "alleged" BB movement, the Juice is a really nice frame for the price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shmeefer said:
There have been some complaints of too much movement in the BB on the Juice during SSing. I can't say that I've noticed it and I've got a few lbs. on you, but mine has been SS for a short time as an experiment and I'm not as observant as some on here. You might try searching for juice and BB or something to see if you can find who made the comments and get more info. Other than this "alleged" BB movement, the Juice is a really nice frame for the price.
i've read some stuff about that bb movement. i'm just hoping that i won't be observant as well.

·
This place needs an enema
17,069 Posts
LyNx said:
because they are still only single piston brakes - they only move one pad to press the rotor against the other pad, both pads do not get pressed onto the rotor.
The HFX9 uses the same caliper as the Hayes Mag. Which is to say that both pads move to contact the rotor.

Solid brakes.

MC

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.