Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding the Kokopelli trail from Moab to Fruita in one long joyous ride of 142 miles in about a month and am looking for opinions on what gearing I should run. It's a race hosted by mikesee for those that are curious.

I've never ridden in either location so really don't know what the grades are like on trails. Hopefully someone can help.

I ran 34-21 in pisgah a few weeks ago and I felt that was fine. Right now my cog choices are 20, 21, 22, and 23.

G

·
Last time I was in Fruita (Nov 04) I rode the Book Cliffs area and Mack Ridge on a 29er with 32-20 and it was perfect for me. Talk with Keith at OTE Sports in Fruita (KgB on the mtbr boards). He rides a 29er and should be able to give you some help too.

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
indigosky said:
Last time I was in Fruita (Nov 04) I rode the Book Cliffs area and Mack Ridge on a 29er with 32-20 and it was perfect for me. Talk with Keith at OTE Sports in Fruita (KgB on the mtbr boards). He rides a 29er and should be able to give you some help too.
Cool. Thanks. I'll give them a call out there. I'm mostly concerned with the second half after crossing the la sal mountains.

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts
I will be 32/19

there will not be perfect gearing for that ride.
a lot of climbing and a lot of flats.I may even go 32/20 I like to put an easier gear rather than a harder gear.
See you next month.

·
Registered
940 Posts
32x18

I ran a 32x18 rigid 29er and it worked well for me, and I'm not a hammerhead gear masher. I tend to err on the easy gear side. Witht that said, it's a long, slow climb from the start in the dark, so no one is hammering yet. Then it's down and back up on pavement. I don't mind standing alot and the gear was fine. Then the trail is rolling from there. I also welcome a push from time to time for the relief.
My record shouldn't be hard to break if it hasn't been already. A combo of 5 flats, no rear brakes, and my Alaskan acclimation in the 100+ heat took it's toll on my time. Good luck and carry lots of water.....
Pat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.