Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok!

I currently have a set of Middleburn RS8 Duo's. The problem is there is quite of bit of flex in the rings. I also need to replace one of the arms.

Q1 Would the compact 5 arm spider that middleburn offers offer less flex than the duo spider? I could then run 44/30 or 42/30.

Q2 What is the flex like on a pair of raceface next LP's?

Q3 What is the tune bigfoot like in the flex department?

I know I want two rings. I'm actually thinking about going square taper and getting a Phil Wood bottom braket also.

Any help would be appreciated. :D

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you are going to go with Middleburn, I would go with the square taper version.

I run Middleburns on both my race bikes and it works really well with a Phil Wood bottom bracket. Never creaks, never needs cleaning, and runs like a dream. I use a titanium BB and can't complain about anything in regards to the ride or setup, and the wieght isn't terrible. Can't deal with that external bearing crap anymore.

I use a triple chainring though, so I am not sure how the doubles compare in regards to flex. I don't notice any flex issue in my setup, and I have recently ditched my XT X type POS crankset and gone back to the Middleburn square taper and have been much happier.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.